Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: National Supper of Texas
Chili (without beans) 4 6.78%
Chili (with beans) 2 3.39%
Chicken Fried Steak 23 38.98%
Fried Catfish 2 3.39%
Fried Chicken 1 1.69%
Enchiladas 0 0%
Tacos 0 0%
Barbeque 22 37.29%
Frito-Pie 0 0%
Other 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times

Advertisements

HEY!!! You forgot VENISON.
Venison Chili
Venison Sausage
Venison Steaks
Venison in Queso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,571,135 times
Chicken fried steak
mashed potatoes w/ cream gravy
a side of fried okra please!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,953,670 times
1) I went with Chicken Fried Steak w/cream gravy...macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes w/cream gravy...either of those sides however, could be substituted for yams and/or cabbage respectively...

2) Gonna go with barbque on this one...potato salad & beans and or okra..w/peach cobbler...

3) Fried Fish...with shrimp, cole slaw, fries, turnip greens, all that...but it comes in third because every state has a fish joint somewhere.

*Runner Up - Tex Mex... Texas, as I understand it, has a much better and wider selection of authentic Tex Mex than do other states...

For this reason I chose Tex Mex as 3rd place runner up...From quesadillas to nachos, enchiladas, whatever I love Tex Mex. But once again every state has some sort of Tex Mex restaurant. You can go to Taco Bell or Taco Cabana or something if you want Tex Mex (I know those arent authentic Tex Mex eateries but in the absence of a true Tex Mex meal they would suffice for most outside of Texas)...but lets face it, there just arent any fast food joints that you can go to that serve a serious Chicken Fried Steak.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,273,377 times
I couldn't go with just one. Well, I did just to vote but I love 'em all, fried catfish, CFS, bbq, fried chicken, etc. With bbq, I ALWAYS order fried okra. In fact, it's good with alot of things and I just made some this weekend. yummy! My favorite CFS is at the Black Eyed Pea on N. Collins in Arlington. With mashed potatoes, cream gravy and their baked squash.

Chili I can only eat when it's cold outside.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:55 PM

its no wonder Texans always rank the fattest in all those polls they take...look at all the kinds of foods we have to eat here.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 PM

714 posts, read 2,921,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
its no wonder Texans always rank the fattest in all those polls they take...look at all the kinds of foods we have to eat here.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
LOL Wellll, Solytaire, ol' friend, wouldn't you agree it be better to get fat and die on all this good stuff than croak full of quiche and endive salad?

Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Wellll, Solytaire, ol' friend, wouldn't you agree it be better to get fat and die on all this good stuff than croak full of quiche and endive salad?
Well bud, Ill just sit in objective silence and let my cracked bathroom scale do the talkin for me......as my personal motto in life has always been: "Bring on another plate a' that catfish & cobbler!"..and it shows..lol

Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,020,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
King Ranch Chiken

And Mine will Make your Mom Divorce her Husband. I made it happen.
Actually this was the first thing that crossed my mind - what a name for a dish!

But I had to go with the old CFS. (Although I really think fajitas have trumped the CFS I stuck with her for nostalgia's sake.)

Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 PM

52,585 posts, read 47,743,181 times
Default Here's Some Sauce

Nothing says Texan like barbecue does. Oh, we've had great responses like CFS and catfish and that's all great, no question. But I wanted to share this with you.

Picture, if you will, a toasted bun loaded up with sliced Texas beef brisket. Most Texans use some kind of BBQ sauce for the sandwich. I've got a sauce recipe just for you below. It's simple, quick, and easy. Look:

Case44's Texas Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Start with the ketchup as your base, then add and mix the other ingredients together in a saucepan. Heat contents with pan covered on stovetop using medium heat for about 7 minutes (use a cover because this stuff will splatter!), then immediately bring heat way down. Let the contents sit until splattering stops -- should take 3 to 5 minutes. If you've got jars to store your sauce, use them (I use a mason jar). Refrigerate for 7 to 10 days (it might last a little longer than that, but I wouldn't go too long), or you may freeze until you need it again. Delicious when served fresh, so it's great for any gathering. It will offer the right balance of Texas taste and zing for all smoked meats. You may use it as a marinade or as a great topping for your sandwiches or entrees. I use it for dipping (less mess).

Now you can top your meats! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas