Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: National Veggie/Side Dish of Texas
Black-eyed Peas (Texas cavier) 7 17.95%
Fried Okra 7 17.95%
Mashed taters 8 20.51%
Tater salad 2 5.13%
Red or Pinto Beans 8 20.51%
Cole Slaw 0 0%
Fried taters/hash browns 0 0%
Grits 1 2.56%
Green/snap beans 2 5.13%
Other 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

I wish they would put Husband Pleasin' back on the Ranch Style Beans cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I never ate much refried beans and my mama never fixed them. Only when we went out to eat mexican food did they ever end up on my plate. At home we had more pinto beans and black-eyed peas. I remember both of those vividly. I'd eat TONS of black-eyed peas all the time as my great-grandmother always fixed fresh ones for me. Guess being this is one veggie that a lot of Texans (and Southerners) grew in their garden it was always around to be served moreso than refried beans. Pinto beans were a meal along w/ cornbread. Hardly EVER remember having Pinto Beans as a side growing up and I know my parents STILL fix those as just the meal itself w/ some cornbread. As for the beans and mexican food now I've come to prefer Charro Beans or "bean soup" at most places over refried beans.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Yep pintos were the meal itself -- also sometimes butterbeans. With Black-eyed or Purple Hull peas they were usually more of a side dish. And how about those green beans with new potatoes?

And yes, sliced tomato, onion and chow-chow makes all of it better!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I never ate much refried beans and my mama never fixed them. Only when we went out to eat mexican food did they ever end up on my plate. At home we had more pinto beans and black-eyed peas. I remember both of those vividly. I'd eat TONS of black-eyed peas all the time as my great-grandmother always fixed fresh ones for me. Guess being this is one veggie that a lot of Texans (and Southerners) grew in their garden it was always around to be served moreso than refried beans. Pinto beans were a meal along w/ cornbread. Hardly EVER remember having Pinto Beans as a side growing up and I know my parents STILL fix those as just the meal itself w/ some cornbread. As for the beans and mexican food now I've come to prefer Charro Beans or "bean soup" at most places over refried beans.
FRESH blackeyed peas from the garden are another story! My aunt always fixed those for dinner, so I'd have them once or twice a year. I don't really care for them canned....dried and cooked are better, but not much.

We had pinto beans too....whole and mashed as in refried. Today, I like both black and pinto beans, either whole or refried. We had pinto beans as a side quite often!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yep pintos were the meal itself -- also sometimes butterbeans. With Black-eyed or Purple Hull peas they were usually more of a side dish. And how about those green beans with new potatoes?

And yes, sliced tomato, onion and chow-chow makes all of it better!
My Kroger sells Dixieland Chow-chow made in Fort Worth. Mild or hot versions. We always get the hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I wish they would put Husband Pleasin' back on the Ranch Style Beans cans.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
My Kroger sells Dixieland Chow-chow made in Fort Worth. Mild or hot versions. We always get the hot.
Yep, DixieLand brand "chow-chow", put out by Renfro Foods, Inc, in Fort Worth! I have some in my ice-box too! LOL

When I was growing up, as several of y'all have mentioned, a meal in itself was sometime red-beans (pinto) and cornbread. All "mashed up" and seasoned with chow-chow! And sometime bacon on the side!

A question to anyone who might know: What IS the difference in chow-chow and relish???? Just a term of which the former is more common in Texas/South to refer to the same thing? Or is there a real difference?

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-18-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yep, DixieLand brand "chow-chow", put out by Renfro Foods, Inc, in Fort Worth! I have some in my ice-box too! LOL

When I was growing up, as several of y'all of mentioned, a meal in itself was sometime red-beans (pinto) and cornbread. All "mashed up" and seasoned with chow-chow! And sometime bacon on the side!

A question to anyone who might know: What IS the difference in chow-chow and relish???? Just a term of which the former is more common in Texas/South to refer to the same thing? Or is there a real difference?
We always differentiated between chow-chow and relish!
Homemade chow-chow always has cabbage as one of the ingredients...and relish NEVER does.

My mom makes a relish out of apples and green tomatoes....and mine is made of green tomatoes and jalapenos/serranos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: