Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State Drink of Texas
Sweet Tea 30 30.93%
Unsweetened Tea 5 5.15%
Coke (as in the Texas/Southern generic term used to mean any soft drink) 2 2.06%
Coca-Cola 0 0%
Dr. Pepper 40 41.24%
Big Red 4 4.12%
Texas brewed Beer 7 7.22%
Sweet milk (so designated) 0 0%
Texas natural spring water 2 2.06%
Other 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:17 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,313 times

Advertisements

Pass me a Lonestar and I'm good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:56 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And this is what chaps my.......... you can't hardly order "Sweet Tea" in most restaurants IN Texas. A few have it and it has gained in popularity for them to serve it. Trying to sweeten it after it is already iced just don't cut it. I'd just as soon drink it "plain" (aka unsweetened). I crack up when we take my MIL out to eat and she orders VERY LOUDLY, "UNSWEET tea" and she is from Alabama. LOL!!! Only cause of diabetes though is she the unsweet variety drinker.

When I came in awhile ago I already had a pot of tea sitting on the stove steeping. Made up a pitcher w/ the sugar in the bottom, add the warm/hot tea and then cold water. Filled me a glass w/ ice and poured a nice tall glass of the stuff. Instantly cooled me down and quinched my thirst.

My favorite "coke" is Dr Pepper. I even used to put peanuts in my Dr Pepper (there is no . on the Dr part ). Never cared for Pepsi at all. Coke is okay. Good icy cold Root Beer is too when I'm wanting something "different". But my all time fave behind Dr Pepper would be Big Red. Yes, you can still buy Big Red in the stores. We keep it stocked in the fridge at the office as well.

Well, I gotta go refill my glass.
We used to do the same thing, we would buy a package of salted peanuts and pour them in the neck of the glass bottle, you had to be careful though because sometimes it would make the Dr Pepper fizz up.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:04 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Default Dublin Is Now Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Oh yea baby, thats the GOOD stuff.

I have a friend in Texas who when she got married, rather then champagne, they served Dr. Pepper from Dublin for people. Now thats a Texas celebration.
And all they serve them in is 8-ounce glass bottles when you buy them, Lindsey. You'll never see Dublin DP with a one or two-liter, or in plastic. Ever. I spotted a six-pack of same this morning at Walgreen's. Can you believe it?? Dublin at Walgreen's!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And all they serve them in is 8-ounce glass bottles when you buy them, Lindsey. You'll never see Dublin DP with a one or two-liter, or in plastic. Ever. I spotted a six-pack of same this morning at Walgreen's. Can you believe it?? Dublin at Walgreen's!
Next time I'm there I am going to get me some.

Here is a link to the history page of my favorite beverage.

Dr Pepper Museum - History Of Dr Pepper

Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Next time I'm there I am going to get me some.

Here is a link to the history page of my favorite beverage.

Dr Pepper Museum - History Of Dr Pepper
Now just so you know, they're available now at pretty much any supermarket in Texas. In Orlando, on the other hand, I'm not real sure, dear. By the way, the website you linked us with is a good one.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Now just so you know, they're available now at pretty much any supermarket in Texas. In Orlando, on the other hand, I'm not real sure, dear. By the way, the website you linked us with is a good one.
I meant the next time I'm in Texas. I don't imagine we would be finding Dr Pepper in glass here in Texas. We have a couple soft drinks in glass but certainly not the one and only Dr Pepper.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Well, I'll say this among other things (all good!) about you, Cathy, you ARE objective and fair. As sweet tea is very Southern in origin! And the thing is..that I actually PREFER it unsweetened!!! Go figure!

I know what you mean about the extreme makings of it though. I have a friend of mine and his wife who dump a pound bag of sugar in the bottom on the pitcher and wet it down with a little tea. Yeah, an exageration, but not by much!

I LIKE that one. And I AM old enough to remember. For shore! Best memory is when we would stop by to see my grandfather (who was Service Manager in an old local GoodYear tire shop) and he and his co-workers, on their break, would drink those little 8 oz. bottles of coke (out of the old type machines, of course) with peanuts from the "Toms" or "Lance" vending poured into them. As hero-worshiping kids do, I learned to imitate it!

Good one, Cathy!

BTW -- I DID (but with the best of original intentions) say earlier I wouldn't start another poll today. But now I am. ONE more, y'all...ONE more!
Well, I'll be danged. Somebody else that grew up putting peanuts in their little coke bottles, LOL!!

And yes.....sickeningly-sweet iced tea IS southern in origin, though we never made it that way at the house, with the sugar added at the time it was brewed. It was always brought to the table unsweetened...and everybody added whatever they wanted.

Another favorite...? Pints of vanilla ice cream with coke poured over them, for floats!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Well, I'll say this among other things (all good!) about you, Cathy, you ARE objective and fair. As sweet tea is very Southern in origin! And the thing is..that I actually PREFER it unsweetened!!! Go figure!

I know what you mean about the extreme makings of it though. I have a friend of mine and his wife who dump a pound bag of sugar in the bottom on the pitcher and wet it down with a little tea. Yeah, an exageration, but not by much!

I LIKE that one. And I AM old enough to remember. For shore! Best memory is when we would stop by to see my grandfather (who was Service Manager in an old local GoodYear tire shop) and he and his co-workers, on their break, would drink those little 8 oz. bottles of coke (out of the old type machines, of course) with peanuts from the "Toms" or "Lance" vending poured into them. As hero-worshiping kids do, I learned to imitate it!

Good one, Cathy!

BTW -- I DID (but with the best of original intentions) say earlier I wouldn't start another poll today. But now I am. ONE more, y'all...ONE more!
Well, I'll be! Someobody else who grew up putting peanuts in their cokes!!

And...thank you for the kind words, sir!!

I don't think we ever added sugar at the time the tea was brewed....in fact, I didn't even know that anybody ever did that!!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ml#post3982989

Check out my thread about Dr Pepper.

I love Dr Pepper over vanilla ice cream.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I even used to put peanuts in my Dr Pepper
When I lived in Tennessee, some of my native-born co-workers used to put peanuts in their Cokes (actual Coca Cola). They referred to the resulting drink as a "lumpy Coke." Do those of you who enhance your Dr Pepper in this way call it lumpy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas