Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

for those of yall who read my posts, yall know my greatest fear is snakes...and i am ok as long as i can discharge a firearm. i live in a "country" setting, but in city limits (for a few more months), so i cant discharge a firearm.
i got an idea. to use these collibri bullets in a .22.
i tried them the other day at a friend's house,and they are super quiet. no more noise than a bb gun. so it would not alarm neighbors or cause me to get any visits from the police.
i do treat my perimeter liberally with sulfur powder, diatomacheous earth, lime powder....and aint seen one yet...but better to be safe than sorry
what do yall think?

AMM-066 - Ammo .22 SUPER Colibri 500 Rounds 20 grain No Powder for .22 Handgun Super Quiet - Manufactured by: Aguila
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
You go, girl! Snakes are my biggest fear, too. Because of my disability, there's no way I can hold/fire a real gun so I have a pellet gun, just in case. If you've got "quiet" bullets, I can't see how that would be any problem at all!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
those .22 pump actions are very light..not much heavier than a pellet gun, if not the same weight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You go, girl! Snakes are my biggest fear, too. Because of my disability, there's no way I can hold/fire a real gun so I have a pellet gun, just in case. If you've got "quiet" bullets, I can't see how that would be any problem at all!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I don't care for snakes either.. but I am a big wuss when it comes to spiders.. man I hate spiders. So yeah ANNIE GET YER GUN! We gonna round us up some vittles.. err snakes. =0)

Old 06-15-2008, 04:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
no more noise than a bb gun. so it would not alarm neighbors or cause me to get any visits from the police.
i do treat my perimeter liberally with sulfur powder, diatomacheous earth, lime powder....and aint seen one yet...but better to be safe than sorry
what do yall think?

If my neighbors heard us fire a shot and it was to kill a snake or that dadgum Mockingbird that sings 24/7 they would give me a standing ovation. Course all my neighbors are Native Texans and/or Southerners even though I live in the burbs of Dallas and they don't much care for the snakes to come up out of the creek or woods and into our yards.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:35 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
We had a rattler on our patio two weeks ago. Wished I had a gun or anything. Had to chop that suckers head off with a hoe. We live inside Abilene, and I was surprised.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:01 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
I said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think your neighbors would have a problem with you shooting a snake. Would you have a problem with one of them shooting a snake? See what I mean? It's not like you are out target shooting in your backyard or just shooting for the heck of it or worse yet, getting drunk and shooting off your gun. Chances are most people are inside with the A/C running and if they do hear it probably write it off to a car backfire. But really, even if they know it's a gunshot, the first thing they'll probably think is...good!...another snake done gone! But if the quiet bullets work for you, I say fo for it! LOL, I killed a possum one tme with a .22 callibar pellet gun, the old timey kind, the one you pump up.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:21 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
We had a rattler on our patio two weeks ago. Wished I had a gun or anything. Had to chop that suckers head off with a hoe. We live inside Abilene, and I was surprised.
OMG, James! I know we've got them here and I just PRAY that one doesn't slither into my yard. Eeeeewwwwww! You just reminded me NOT to go out into the yard with flipflops on my feet.

It's the dogs I worry about most. My Weimaraner would think that going after a rattlesnake is great fun!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
OMG, James! I know we've got them here and I just PRAY that one doesn't slither into my yard. Eeeeewwwwww! You just reminded me NOT to go out into the yard with flipflops on my feet.

It's the dogs I worry about most. My Weimaraner would think that going after a rattlesnake is great fun!
We live on the edge of a creek, and someone (the city I suppose) had just mowed the weeds and grass down in and around the creek. I guess that is what caused the snake to come out and up into our yard and on our patio.

When I was principal at Mann Middle School in NW Abilene, we had a family of rattlers at the door to the kitchen one morning. I did not deal with them. I called AISD maitenance, and they handled the problem.

However, I think rattle snakes in the city are rare.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM

I remembered this picture making the rounds on the web a few years ago. Hunted it up. Rattlers in Abilene----

Quote:
Take the fellow in Abilene (a couple of hours northeast of here), for example, who was using a forklift to clean up Patterson Drilling's yard. He picked up a pit* liner and immediately set it back down, phoned the office and said "we need some men with shotguns."
According to the report, they killed 62 rattlers...but as many got away as they shot.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Now, I'm all in favor of live and let live when it comes to giving the occasional slithering reptile the freedom to keep the place free of rats and other vermin, but nobody needs twelve dozen rattlesnakes.
End quote....

The web site where this picture is posted is: The Fire Ant Gazette - A Midland, Texas Blog | "Springtime in west Texas" (http://www.ericsiegmund.com/fireant/archivesmt/002806.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas