Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,798,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I know several stories about the no appreciation, and it's sickening. It's funny that those types of stories aren't coming out of Iowa, at least that I know of. Those people actually got busy and worked their heads off doing what they could. They had all their discards out by the curbs awaiting hauling off of them. In N.O., yards were still trashed after 6 months because they were waiting for someone else to do the work. I just don't get it.
I do. It's the culture of a certain segment of NO's population that is accustomed to handouts, welfare, and a HUGE entitlement mentality.

Most of the ones who came to the Midland-Odessa area rolled up their sleeves, got busy and created a new life for themselves. Many in Houston just sat on their butts in subsidized housing, whining about why people didn't do more for them. They turned up their noses at what was freely given, and didn't think that it was enough.

It just burned my butt.

I thought NO was a dirty pit even before Katrina, when I went down there many weekends while working in MS in the 1980s.

What happened after Katrina hit just confirmed what I originally thought.

Nobody deserves what happened during Katrina, but those of us that tried to help them didn't need the ingratitude and snotty attitudes, either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I do. It's the culture of a certain segment of NO's population that is accustomed to handouts, welfare, and a HUGE entitlement mentality.

Most of the ones who came to the Midland-Odessa area rolled up their sleeves, got busy and created a new life for themselves. Many in Houston just sat on their butts in subsidized housing, whining about why people didn't do more for them. They turned up their noses at what was freely given, and didn't think that it was enough.

It just burned my butt.

I thought NO was a dirty pit even before Katrina, when I went down there many weekends while working in MS in the 1980s.

What happened after Katrina hit just confirmed what I originally thought.

Nobody deserves what happened during Katrina, but those of us that tried to help them didn't need the ingratitude and snotty attitudes, either!
You are so right; that's exactly how it was, and it made me sick and still does to this day. If they think they're owed something, they are so very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas