Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,638,929 times

Advertisements

I have scoured the internet and am really fustrated. Someone did mention Casa Rocio here, well my husband wasn't so up on that, they don't serve breakfast. Instead, they give you the food to cook... well too I don't want to cook.

My husband wants to find a fancy hotel that has a spa where we can get massages together... We did that on our 10th anniversary in Seattle at a really hip hotel.

It doesn't look all that promising we can find a luxury hotel with the bed covers turned down, having a romantic view of the gulf on a balcony, where we can have room service.

Here are some I have found too, please tell me what you think.

Renaissance Casa De Palmas
The Yacht Club Hotel

If anyone has any knowledge of other resorts or inns to make our 1 night memorable, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by stargazer; 06-20-2008 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,892,792 times
Top Luxury 3 star South Padre Island Hotels | Hotels in South Padre Island, Te - RealTravel

Give that a try!

Or this: South Padre Island Texas Lodging - Hotels Condos Rentals Beach House Vacation Rentals

Old 06-20-2008, 07:16 AM

595 posts, read 2,713,119 times
Have you checked into some Bed and Breakfast? When we travel w/o our teens we always stay and B and B's. We love getting up in the morning and being served our breakfast on china.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,956,133 times
There is supposed to be a lovely Bed and Breakfast, located near a birding/wildlife area, around Los Fresnos (which isn't far from the Island). It's called the Inn at Chachalaca Bend. I've never been there but I've heard good things.

Los Fresnos, Texas lodging - Inn at Chachalaca Bend Bed and Breakfast - a B&B getaway for bird-watchers

Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,732,128 times
The Yacht Club is in Port Isabel, not SPI. It's a very old, historic hotel w/a great restaurant. I'm not sure how updated the rooms are, but I don't think it's the "upscale" you are looking for.

The Renaissance you mentioned, is that in McAllen? That would be atleast an hour/hour and a half drive to SPI. Unless you are going to McAllen for something else, it wouldn't make sense to stay there.

There is a Radisson and a Sheraton on SPI, that's about as upscale as it gets. Besides the B&B teatime mentioned, there is a B&B on South Padre ... it is not right on the beach (a short walk) but I've heard good things about it Casa De Siesta Hompe Page

Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,703,645 times
What about Port Royale over outside of Port A between Port A and Mustang Island? It is closer to Corpus and North Padre than it is to SPI. Seems like a really nice place and Port A has that kind of quirky island vibe. GREAT mexican food to eat at there w/ some VERY good margarita's. If you go that way I'll get the name for you.

If you wanted Galveston there is the San Luis. VERY NICE and upscale especially for that area. Tillman Fritita (sp?) owns the place (Joe's Crab Shack, Cadillac Bar, Rainforest Cafe, Kemah, etc).

Old 06-20-2008, 04:31 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,315,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If you wanted Galveston there is the San Luis. VERY NICE and upscale especially for that area. Tillman Fritita (sp?) owns the place (Joe's Crab Shack, Cadillac Bar, Rainforest Cafe, Kemah, etc).
Congratulations on your anniversary Stargazer!

The San Luis is nice - not sure if I would put it in the realm of 'luxury' compared to, say, some of the nicer Dallas hotels, but it is probably as nice as any hotel you will find along the Texas coast. I would avoid all the Landry's chain restaurants (Landry's, Rainforest, etc.) - the only restaurant in that group that I've had good luck with is Saltgrass.

Gaido's is very nice, just down the Sea Wall from the San Luis, and there are several good places in the Strand area.

The Galveston beaches are not great (if you're a beach person) along the Sea Wall, but there are some public access beaches further south that are pretty nice and not crowded.

Here are a couple of shots of the Gulf from the San Luis balcony (sunrise, since all the Gulf hotels face east and/or south):

Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM

291 posts, read 642,464 times
The only "upscale" hotel in SPI

is The Peninsula

Regards!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,703,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Congratulations on your anniversary Stargazer!

The San Luis is nice - not sure if I would put it in the realm of 'luxury' compared to, say, some of the nicer Dallas hotels, but it is probably as nice as any hotel you will find along the Texas coast. I would avoid all the Landry's chain restaurants (Landry's, Rainforest, etc.) - the only restaurant in that group that I've had good luck with is Saltgrass.

Gaido's is very nice, just down the Sea Wall from the San Luis, and there are several good places in the Strand area.

The Galveston beaches are not great (if you're a beach person) along the Sea Wall, but there are some public access beaches further south that are pretty nice and not crowded.

Here are a couple of shots of the Gulf from the San Luis balcony (sunrise, since all the Gulf hotels face east and/or south):

[]
BEAUTIFUL shots. No, the San Luis does not compare to "luxury" in the Dallas or other big city but for the area it is very nice. They have a very nice piano bar as well. Half of the building is owner condo's and the other the hotel.

I'm w/ you on the restaurants he owns. Saltgrass is GREAT though. What happened to the others? They just don't rate that well up there like Saltgrass does.

Gaido's......... YUM!!! And Casey's next door is the same owner but WAY more casual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas