Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 PM

42 posts, read 177,430 times

Advertisements

I have family that lives in Lumberton and they love it.....we are all Hispanic, btw.

They used to live in a subdivision named Boykin and now live off of Walton or Walden road (can't remember) in Lumberton. That road runs between the two highways in town. If they take one in the mornings to Beaumont it takes them about 35 minutes but if they take the other it takes them only like 15 minutes, and this is at the very northern part of Lumberton.

I was with them this summer when they were looking for a new home and they looked down Keith Road which is between Lumberton and Beaumont, in the Lumberton School District. It was pretty rural back there and they were building some nice new homes back there. That might be something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 AM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
Please keep in mind that Lumberton is good so long as you're white. I really don't think most other people would feel very comfortable living there.

I'd check out Monsignor Kelly when it comes to schools in Beaumont.
Kelly won't help the OP out until their child gets to high school...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
From fennet it is not abad drive down 365 to the wal-mart;Lowes and mall on the port arhur side of hte mid country area. Lots of other stores and restaurnat there also.fennett really puts you in easy drive to the mid county;port arthr and beaumont area shopping.Traffic is a changing thing espeiually with all the industrial expansion just really getting under way in the sotuh country area tho.Also from fannett it is a easy drive to winnie and then to the beach in the high island to bolivar/galveston area. The beach is kind of like Biloxi in water color but normally high surf than I have ever seen in Biloxi.Also the beach is less urban than biloxi is;more like many areas of florida with only cabins and same stores /restaurants. I would definely wait to buy until you vist the area as it is as hard to decribe as the gulfport/biloxi area.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There is a lot of fishing here for sure, esp on Sabine Lake (brackish). And if you like birdwatching, it's also a great place. I've seen a pink flamingo... twice!!!

Check page 7 for the prevailing winds in Texas.

That was not a flamingo ... roseatte spoonbill ... colored pink due to the iodine in their diet (crustaceans).

Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
Kelly won't help the OP out until their child gets to high school...
no, but St Anne's will!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM

To the OP ... reason Winnie is not more built up is anything more than a 12' storm surge will probably get it.

On a side note ... lotsa terd slingin and misinformation in this whole thread. Some truths too ... but Oh well, human nature!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
That was not a flamingo ... roseatte spoonbill ... colored pink due to the iodine in their diet (crustaceans).

Check this:

Flamingos in Louisiana -- LOSbird.org

The beak was the giveaway to me.

Edit: Here's a thread about it: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...gos-texas.html

Last edited by tstone; 06-24-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 04:43 PM

50 posts, read 193,175 times
Default boremont...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
I have family that lives in Lumberton and they love it.....we are all Hispanic, btw.
hmm first of all that does not mean any thing considering how some hispanics seem to "blend" with other predominately white neighborhoods.

For the person that is moving, if you doubt what I say, then check out best life magazine, it actually has an article running saying that beaumont is one of the top 10 WORST places to have a family. I would say that would include the surrounding area considering that beaumont is the biggest city in this area. I'm surprised they didn't put port arthur too. The refineries alone will kill you. Hope you do ALOT of research before you decide to do this..I'd hate to have someone come here and then regret it.

P.S. Hope you are not looking for a nite life, there's not much of one here...there is crockett st...but a block of half-empty bars doesn't say much...

Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No; they do have pink flamingoes on a island at the north end of the lake. A lady by the name of Bailey has had several articles written about her and the birds. One of the islands between the lake and the ship channel is a nesting areas for them.Mrs Bailey just died ecently. He and her husband ran Bailey's fidh Camp( dock) for years.edward I don't know what your problem is but you really sound like one of the trolls on this forum.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:56 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
To the OP ... reason Winnie is not more built up is anything more than a 12' storm surge will probably get it.

That is ABSOLUTLY WRONG. You need to look at a storm surge map. Winnie is not even in the Catagory 5 surge zone! Winnie is 30 feet in elevation, higher than almost anything else in the G.T. Winnie is also not near any waterways or bayous. The misconception persists because rice farmers "flood" their fields with 2" of water inside a man made berm. I will post a link to the surge map later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas