Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
well, i dont always agree 100 percent with my cowboy church preacher, but the one thing i can say is that NEVER is there a LOUD SPEWING OF HATRED AND ANGER that Rev Wright displayed on many occasions from the pulpit. it's downright scary, radical. Shame on Obama. I would expect more from an educated intelligent man.
I agree with you on that. Rev. Wright took it farther than any pastor in my church ever has. And, Muhnay, I have talked to the pastors when I disagreed; I have been on committees that have removed the pastors. I have not left the church because the church belongs to the congregation, not the pastor. The church is the body of believers, not one man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 04:18 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
According to polls I have seen in many of the Texas forums.. not just here on CD but other places as well.. it seems McCain is the Texas choice.

Seems the polls are any where from 80% McCain, to 20% Obama, or 70% McCain, to Obama's 15%

So I would gather that Texas will go for McCain.
I think you're absolutely right, Muhnay. That's pretty much the way the tide is going to go around here. It really isn't going to be any big surprise come November.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I agree with you on that. Rev. Wright took it farther than any pastor in my church ever has. And, Muhnay, I have talked to the pastors when I disagreed; I have been on committees that have removed the pastors. I have not left the church because the church belongs to the congregation, not the pastor. The church is the body of believers, not one man.
Then I commend you for doing so. And you can not be held accountable if you stand up to hate in all its forms.. when you disagreed you stood up and did something.. and not just sat in a pew week after week absorbing the hate filled speeches or accepted what was told to you and yours you disagreed with. So good show.. and here is a pat on the back.

Preachers are people of authority, pillars of a community, they have to set a higher standard. When they start preaching hate, like Rev Wright did.. they are no longer agents of God, Country, or humanity but rather of something far more evil. And they need to be brought down and held accountable for the things they say.

Oh hey how did that soap box get under me.. sorry..

Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 PM

120 posts, read 461,220 times
I am definetly voting for Obama, Mccain is a flip flop and a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
I am definetly voting for Obama, Mccain is a flip flop and a disaster waiting to happen.
Uhm and Obama has not flip or flopped on anything either... yeah right. Keep telling yourself that. Please don't vote, until you educate yourself.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM

120 posts, read 461,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Uhm and Obama has not flip or flopped on anything either... yeah right. Keep telling yourself that. Please don't vote, until you educate yourself.
He hasn't flip flopped nearly as much as Mccain, and an educated voter would know that

Old 06-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
He hasn't flip flopped nearly as much as Mccain, and an educated voter would know that
So he is a flip flopper by your own omission..So were just arguing over how many times one has flipped flopped.. he is young give him time to catch up.. I am sure he will surpass the greatest flip flopper's of our time.

I think either of them would be a big mistake.. thats why I am voting for Glenn Beck.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You bet we're screwed. tholsey is right to some degree, it is a race ticket to a lot of people. Now that's where the screwing really rears its ugly head. There will be people who don't have a clue as to Obama's policies who will vote for him because he is black and they want a black man in office, history making at its worst.
Yep. And what's sad is that if this particular black candidate is elected and makes a muddle of things because of his lack of experience, he will actually make it more difficult for a qualified black person to be elected. Hell's bells, he's raised the expectations bar SO HIGH that if he is elected and he doesn't deliver on the sweeping change and improvements, people will be even more disillusioned than they are now.

I would be delighted to see a black president. However, I vote based on qualifications and political experience and I'm not going to vote for the first (black, female, Chinese, Jewish, Hispanic, etc.) candidate unless the person is qualified. Frankly, I think McCain should pick JC Watts as his VP. And I would like to see Sheila Jackson Lee of Houston consider a presidential bid, too.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
I'm sure Texas will fall in line behind McCain, as we are a card-carrying red state now... but, I will be voting Obama.

The experience argument and Obama's former pastor don't really matter to me. Maybe they do to you, and that's fine... but if you are the type that could fall for such arguments, I'd say that you are incapable of identifying an excellent president.

Obama is the finest orator we've had running for the office in decades. He's come from a meager background, and rose to the top without any outside help. He's benefited from no entitlements such as family, a known political name, wealth, or even race (although some might disagree and argue that his race is an advantage, which I find laughable).

I'm tickled with all the "he's not experienced enough" rhetoric, because that's never really mattered with presidents in the past. It's leadership, vision, and the ability to run a successful campaign that wins. Just do a little homework on past presidents, you'll quickly see how the experience argument has failed miserably in the past. And before you go crying GWB to me, remember that he won 2 elections. Just like Bill Clinton, even less experienced that GWB when he first ran, who also won 2 elections. Together, they have won 4 elections in a row against opponents with FAR superior experience (and who were older, too!).

But I don't think it will be enough to turn Texas blue. Texans overall are too conservative, which by definition means they will fear change, and the unknown.. both of which Obama certainly is.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

Obama is the finest orator we've had running for the office in decades. He's come from a meager background, and rose to the top without any outside help. He's benefited from no entitlements such as family, a known political name, wealth, or even race (although some might disagree and argue that his race is an advantage, which I find laughable)
Another question I have on Obama is where has all his money come from? How did he pay for that education he has? You don't just come from nothing and suddenly everything falls into your lap, not unless there really are genies in bottles and he found one. I've read about his background and things just don't add up. Sorry, but they don't. What you read about him and what he tells you about himself and what you actually see with your own two eyes, it just doesn't match up. I could go through the entire spill, poor, raised by grandparents, etc., but I won't, we've all heard it. Yet, here he is, groomed and ready to take over the highest office in the land. He has this great vision for all of us, all the great changes, the pie in the sky. To me, it's amazing just how little we actually know about him. We THINK we know, they tell us we know, but really think about it, what do we really know about him? Things don't add up and that's where I would start doing the crawdaiding. You ask, what does it matter where he came from, or who he really is, he's going to lead us into greater things, he's going to bring long needed change to our country. Hmmm, sounds good. Well, you know what they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Now hey, I might vote for Bill Cosby if he were to run. Of course, a lot would depend on his policies also, but I believe the man is forthright and one could believe what he says. He certainly has no experience, but I think he has common sense and is a down to earth, plainspoken honest man. But he's not running and we have who we have, neither of which I really care for, so just trying to make the best of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas