Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM

35 posts, read 89,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
OK, I read the article and nowhere did it say that millions of people were planning to come to Texas. Rather, those quoted said that their families are in Michigan and that's where they want to stay.

So, what's the point?
...ummm...planning and wanting to stay are almost the same thing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:23 PM

35 posts, read 89,965 times
Default someone needs a band-aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
We don't need any more midwesterners here. I've had my fill of them. The people who have hurt me the most and stabbed me in the back were so-called "midwesterners". Sometimes I don't feel like I'm in Texas hearing all their accents!
wow...you almost sound as if you have some personal issues that have not been resolved...you're implying that EVERYONE from the midwest will treat you badly and that makes you sound scorned and hurt...might be a good idea to work on healing your past wounds, otherwise you might end up bitter for a long time to come...seriously.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,052,262 times
I left Houston over 20 years ago. There were many reasons but constantly tripping over Yankees who lost their jobs when Detroit surrendered to Tokyo was certainly a contributing factor. There was a joke back in the seventies that asked "What's the thing a Texan most hates to see?..... A Yankee with a U-Haul."

I've been considering going home for the past few years but with so many people heading to Texas, I'm a bit hesitant. My relatives keep telling me "You won't recognize the place." That scares me more than anything else. I'd really hate to go home only to find myself living in a warmer version of Detroit or Cleveland.

I do remember that most of the Midwesterners who flooded in in the 1970s didn't stay long. Texans didn't do things the way they did up north so they got all upset and went away. Most couldn't seem to adapt to Texas (of course it was always the Texans' fault ) and were gone within 6 months. My guess is at least that might be the same.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM

112 posts, read 403,761 times
Default Bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise5 View Post
Honest replies only.....how do local Houstonites(and Austinites for that matter) feel about the huge exodus of job seekers from Michigan and the rust belt coming in the next two years? After that #1 ranking, and Austin's #6, they are the buzz of the Michigan exodus board......somehow I feel that if a huge number of people, far more than even the last few years, moved down like displaced Okies, Austin and Houston would not be thrilled about it.....and it will happen..

Read the BW story, and prepare for another huge bunch of folks....keep in mind that 10,000,000 people live in Michigan........hey, Texas has got jobs for everyone, and welcomes all with open arms, right?

Michigan: Epicenter of Unemployment (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2008/db20080623_156900.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _recession+in+america - broken link)

The is no accounting for lack of good sense. When times are grand, this place fashions itself the colonial part of a maverick Republic. When it's bad, it wasn't their doing.

Houston welcomes you. It basks in the glory of being considered a haven of immunity from all that is tragically going on elsewhere in the country.

Naturally, this is a gaseous fallacy. Houston has the same gas prices and food prices as any place. It just happens to have more jobs (it says) and lots of cheaper housing.

Of course, that "reasonable" housing comes with sometimes, outrageous taxes and practically no place can you escape paying a homeowners association fee whether it goes to actually do anything or not.

Taxes are erratic..on the good end from 2.5 to 4.5 on the high for averages.

Traffic sucks and commute times are high and are accepted as the norm here.

But there is one thing that doesn't seem to bother too many people who have chosen to call Houston "home". That is density.

Yall keep on coming and they keep on building to accommodate. There is probably more concrete per square inch in this area than anywhere in the
world and all the houses are built six feet apart with fenced little backyards
and short driveways.

I liken it to fire ant colonies.

So be assured that you are welcomed. Houston is invincible.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM

112 posts, read 403,761 times
Default Bring it on

Quote:
Honest replies only.....how do local Houstonites(and Austinites for that matter) feel about the huge exodus of job seekers from Michigan and the rust belt coming in the next two years? After that #1 ranking, and Austin's #6, they are the buzz of the Michigan exodus board......somehow I feel that if a huge number of people, far more than even the last few years, moved down like displaced Okies, Austin and Houston would not be thrilled about it.....and it will happen..

Read the BW story, and prepare for another huge bunch of folks....keep in mind that 10,000,000 people live in Michigan........hey, Texas has got jobs for everyone, and welcomes all with open arms, right?

Michigan: Epicenter of Unemployment (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2008/db20080623_156900.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _recession+in+america - broken link)

The is no accounting for lack of good sense. When times are grand, this place fashions itself the colonial part of a Republic. When it's bad, it wasn't their doing.

Houston welcomes you. It basks in the glory of being considered a haven of immunity from all that is tragically going on elsewhere in the country.

Naturally, this is a gaseous fallacy. Houston has the same gas prices and food prices as any place. It just happens to have more jobs (it says) and lots of cheaper housing.

Of course, that "reasonable" housing comes with sometimes, outrageous taxes and practically no place can you escape paying a homeowners association fee where it goes to actually do anything or not.

Taxes are erratic..on the good end from 2.5 to 4.5 on the high for averages.

Traffic is bad and high commute times and are accepted as the norm here.

But there is one thing that doesn't seem to bother too many people who have chosen to call Houston "home". That is density.

Y'all keep on coming and they keep on building to accommodate. There is probably more concrete per square inch in this area than anywhere in the
world and all the houses are built six feet apart with fenced little backyards
and short driveways.

I liken it to fire ant colonies.

So be assured that you are welcomed. Houston is invincible.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Super interesting....Not so different as when I was living down in Texas in the early 80's. Michigan was suffering then and people still didn't all leave their home. Besides isn't Texas one big melting pot of transplants anyway? Not to offend but when I lived in Houston ,well Kingwood actually, I only met a couple actual born and raised Texans.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 AM

80 posts, read 148,205 times
Quote:
Well, it sure seems to have attracted your attention.....maybe if you view it as alarmist you may want to simply ignore this post.....
I still think a ton of them will move out THIS time...if you've read the article, the mich economy is the worst since the great depression........this time
those folks who CAN bail probably will, and I truly pray for the poor folks who can't.....I grew up in an area like that on the south side of chicago, and Im not being mean or calling anyone names here.....just think that many mich folks will decide to leave the state permanently very soon...just to survive, if nothing else....

You might want to check out this thread.....doesn't sound like the folks in this thread are staying put....again, if there is nothing for them there, a move WOULD be a good thing.....

How many of you are looking to move out of Michigan?

Will the last person that leaves Michigan please turn out the lights?

BTW, read this thread.......it speaks for thousands in the same situation, and ANY sunbelt state would be an improvement for them, let alone Texas..

"I know people get on here and bash MI and it upsets others but the simple truth is that a lot of people are unable to maintain even the basics for survival. If your doing well with a job in medical, teaching, etc and able to maintain and have a decent lifestyle, that is great because MI isnt a horrible place to live. Im learning that more and more on my research of different areas in the country. We do have some pretty nice things here. Ask someone in Phoenix about their water quality or car plate costs. Or someone down south that deals with busing. Also, Im not into bugs that can kill me or alligators. I cant think of too much that will kill ya in your backyard.

I would like to stay here, I have family and good friends. But I simply dont think I will be able to maintain the basics like shelter, food etc. I know this is a big problem when DTE calls me wanting to work out any payment plans when 2 yrs ago they didnt give a hoot what my situation is. Im also behind on my car payment, the bank looked up my location and said "ahhhhh, your in Michigan." The guy told he has a stack of files on desk for late payments and they are all residents of MI. People that were always on time with their payments but in the past yr everyone seems to be falling into a default.

I dont know what will happen in the next few yrs but I dont think we have seen the worst of it yet."
Nope. The worst is yet to come, and I am one of those comming. This past month (july) ive talked to well over 200 people who eather are getting out, planning on getting out, or want desperatly to get out, and most if not all of them, mentioned a city or town in texas.

I myself am not even sure where im going, I just know that I am going soon. Why? 2 reasons. Jobs, and HEAT.
Thats right. 40 some years in michgians winters and I have had enough. Time for some warm weather living.

I will file one complaint though.. trying to set up jobs, to relocate to, has been very very difficult. But I am sure I will find something, once I get down there.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I too am a little skeptical that 3 million Michigan residents will move to Texas. But if they do, welcome to Texas ya'll, and you don't all have to move to the big cities either. Out here in West Texas around Midland/Odessa we desperately need more workers.
what kind of workers? Ive been scanning the help wanted ads on monster dot com for machinists, and have been applying like crazy.. 3 replies after 100+ applications.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Texas has survived the Mexican Invasion, it will survive a Michigan Invasion......at least they're legal!
Not only that, we speak the language, are skilled, and well, I may not be a cowboys fan, but sit me down at a good rodeo with a cold one and I'll have the time of my life!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
they wont make it here. We are a non-union state, one is required to earn their paycheck here, not go hide and sleep their shift away with no repercussions because they have 20+ years seniority...
as a non-union worker, Im liking this state already!
(my entire family is union and I hate what the unions did to michigan).

You are correct about their aittude. Dead on target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas