Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 35,679 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a long post, but my family wants to ask EVERY question at once
We are relocating from Massachusetts 12-18 months from now for a number of reasons (weather, economy, type-A northeast, etc)
We are doing a Texas tour of places that interest us in February 2009.
We are flying into DFW--spending time DFW area for a few days, then driving (a lot) and seeing things through Austin & San Antonio. We have excluded Houston, Far West, Far South...
Needless to say, job opportunity is important, and my spouse & I have secondary jobs that we are passionate about. We ahve kids in Catholic school, and may possibly do the same in Texas
We are more comfortable within driving distance of a city/activity/arts
--I teach at a very urban public school, 19 years exp. and have a Doctorate in Music Ed., so my other employment is church music director, piano bar ent. play w/ orchestra, etc. and would be LOST without my 'other' jobs
--Wife is admin assistant, but does 20-30 hours a week owner of nail salon which she has been doing for 20 years.
Spare time (what is that??) we really just stay active when we aren't working (when is that??)
OK Texas, we will be adopting you as our home, a decision we took years with, and are looking forward to getting to know you

Where should we live??

David & Nicole

p.s. The kids are NOT coming with us in February--maybe summertime--we don't want their opinion yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
I would try to get you to move to our area which I refer to as the "upper east side". We are about 1 1/2 hours east of the DFW metroplex. Our main town is Tyler. We have a lot of things that make us attractive. Especially great home prices. However...after reading your post it sounds like you will probably be wanting to stay in a larger metro area such as Dallas/Ft. Worth. You sound like you may really be suited towards the Austin area. None the less.....a big welcome to Texas!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Before you do anything... go to the Texas Travel website to get your FREE ! ! ! Texas Travel guide. Over 200 glossy pages of things and places Texas, and includes an excellent map of Texas in the package. The travel guide will help you while studying the areas and traveling the state. It's FREE ! ! !

Tyler would be nice. So check out that then look down I-35, from DFW, goes thru Waco, Fort Hood Metro (Killeen/Belton/Temple), Georgetown, Round Rock, Austin, San Marcos and San Antonio.

Good luck, keep us posted. We'll be full of ideas and answers.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM

14 posts, read 35,679 times
Can't thank you enough
David

Old 12-13-2008, 07:12 PM

130 posts, read 348,210 times
davebflat, I am a fellow Massachusetts person wanting to move to Texas also. Visited there a few times and can't wait to move. I wanted to suggest to you to call the chamber of commerce in prospective towns of interest. They will send you relocation packages with all sorts of good info. For the most part they're free...you just have to call. The Travel Texas guide is a great resource which is mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Texas is huge. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin all have completely different "personalities" as you will. It's hard to say which would be best for you. You are doing the right thing by taking time to visit. From what you've posted though, Dallas sounds like a good fit.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM

340 posts, read 645,707 times
Default Kennedale

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebflat View Post
Needless to say, job opportunity is important, and my spouse & I have secondary jobs that we are passionate about. We ahve kids in Catholic school, and may possibly do the same in Texas.
We are more comfortable within driving distance of a city/activity/arts
--I teach at a very urban public school, 19 years exp. and have a Doctorate in Music Ed., so my other employment is church music director, piano bar ent. play w/ orchestra, etc. and would be LOST without my 'other' jobs
Kennedale.

It is a small city that has its own identity as a community, yet is surrounded by larger cities such as Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield, and Grand Prairie. You can find a job in any of those larger cities, yet reside in a nice, quiet area. There are new homes that have been constructed, as well as two new parks (3 total).

You mentioned Catholic school, and there is a great one that is only a 15 minute drive from Kennedale: Nolan Catholic High School. You mentioned teaching employment. There is Kennedale ISD, which is smaller, but Mansfield ISD is very large and ever-expanding. It has campuses that are very close to Kennedale, including the new schools.

Quote:
Where should we live??
Kennedale, Texas

Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
You might try Odessa.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
I've lived in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Tyler, and College Station. I love College Station, but it's a college town. Austin is beautiful, has a great nightlife, and some pretty good local dining, but the down side is bad traffic, and higher cost of living. I currently live in San Antonio and like it the most. It has the hill country that Austin has, but less traffic, and lower cost of living. Austin is more af an urban feel, but is smaller than San Antonio. People are friendly in all of the Texas cities in my opinion. San Antonio has the worst drivers, but I'll take that over the hour and a half commutes. There is great shopping, and dining in San Antonio as well. Many say the crime is worse, and it is not as nice in areas, but if you locate anywhere north of town or in the Alamo Heights, or Olmos Park areas you can't beat it here. I think the medical amenities in San Antonio are great, and they are building many more in outlying areas at the moment. Austin has a nice group of hospitals as well. As far as Dallas - Fort Worth, my mother lives in Grapevine and likes it, but it's not for me. Too much urban sprawl, and go go go atmosphere. Well, I take that back, seems like Fort Worth is more of a laid back area, and the two cities although one in many ways love to keep their individual personas. Houston, although I don't think your looking into has the better medical resources by far, probably the best in the Nation. All 4 metros have major international airports, and top Universities.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
You should try Lakewood/East Dallas - sounds like a perfect fit. Search for that on previous threads or post on Dallas Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas