Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM

83 posts, read 418,116 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are taking a 4 day vacation in August and we are looking for a Texas city. When we think of Texas, we think cowboys, friendly people, good food, etc. and we want to be in a city that embodies that. Is this a good choice or is it too boring for a vacation? The only Texas cities I have been to are Midland and El Paso, and my husband has been to Dallas, so we were going to try to find another place. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,284 times
I like Amarillo since I grew up in the area, but I have never thought of it as a vacation destination. What are you looking for? There is a quarter horse association museum, Wonderland Amusement Park (No Disneyland, but a nice amusement park if you have kids), lots of places to eat including the Big Texan--which is kind of a touristy thing. The Palo Duro Canyon is worth a visit (south of town), if Texas is showing at the canyon, it is really worth a visit. There is a good museum at West Texas State University in Canyon. That might be enough to kill four days. If I had four days and had only been to Midland, El Paso, and Dallas, I might choose Austin or San Antonio since both are full of things to do. Truthfully, though, Amarillo has more of the cowboy culture.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
san antonio would be a better choice, if only for restaurants. (my thing)..

Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 PM

714 posts, read 2,932,493 times
JamesAbilene has some good insights on Amarillo. I think Palo Duro could take a good day itself.

But I would also put in a word Abilene or Fort Worth on the list for cowboy culture too. Ft Worth would be good if you stayed at the Stockyards.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Abilene does have some interesting cowboy culture and is only 2 1/2 hours from Fort Worth if you wanted to make both.

Frontier Texas, a museum in Abilene, celebrates the cowboy culture and has good reviews from folks including the New York Times.

There is a dude ranch north of town, but I have never been there.

Perini Ranch and Buffalo Gap are interesting for the Cowboy Culture and good food--just south of town are interesting. They are 8 miles south. Albany, just north of us, is currently having the annual production of the Fandangle which is a history of the cowboy culture of the area. I don't know when that ends. Too bad you just missed several rodeos--including the Texas High School Championship Rodeo--and Western Heritage Week was last month with lots and lots of things cowboy going on.

You could probably spend one or two days here and then two or three days in Fort Worth. That might be a better trip.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Here's a link to Abilene tourism. It looks pretty cowboy!

Abilene Texas Convention and Visitors Bureau - Official Tourism Web site - Visit Abilene TX

Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM

I've been to Frontier Texas at least 4 times since it opened. It is a GREAT place if you want to get an idea how life was in the Abilene area from the 1700s-1900.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Well, some of my best friends are Amarillans, as the saying goes. but I can't see flying from California to Amarillo for a vacation! If it's cowboy culture you are looking for, you'll see more in downtown Ft Worth at the Stockyards....and there are lots of things to do there, a longhorn cattle drive every day, a train to ride, great food and shopping. It's pretty different from Dallas, especially considering that it's next door to it.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:36 PM

83 posts, read 418,116 times
We aren't going to have the kids with us, so we were thinking about maybe a rodeo, find some good country bars, good restaurants, and just kind of get a feel for the area. We are thinking seriously about moving to Texas but haven't decided on a city, so it is more like checking the place out rather than taking a vacation. But we do want to have fun while we are there. Maybe we could see Amarillo, Abilene, and Ft. Worth?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimama View Post
Maybe we could see Amarillo, Abilene, and Ft. Worth?

That could be a lot of travelling for four days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas