Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

With the recent Supreme Court ruling that reaffirms our 2nd Amendment rights to own a firearm, I thought I'd publish the link to get your TX concealed license. You have the right to carry in TX and you should take advantage.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

Texas has many good laws that allow you to protect yourself & your family. The Castle Doctrine that TX passed recently:

Castle Doctrine in the US - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To sign the petition to open carry go to:

Open Carry of Handguns in Texas Petition

Thank God for Texas. Take advantage of your rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Hear, hear! I have a CHL and I signed the open-carry petition.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
when the good guys have guns it makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:21 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,016 times
Just make sure that you are safe with your weapon, and that you practice, practice, practice.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Default Just out of curiosity...

Just out of curiosity, how many of y'all who have active CCL permits actually carry your weapons on you most of the time? And when you do, when do you?

I only need to complete the course (background, fingerprint, etc is all in order) to get mine, but my brother has had his for quite a while. Last time he was down we talked about it, and he told me that he really didn't carry on his person all that often...

His philosophy is identical to mine (but since I am the eldest brother, I said it first in the family..hee hee): I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:38 PM

TexReb,

I have mine in a "DayPlanner." Yes, it would take a little time to respond, but because I work in an office and don't wear baggy clothes, this is the best I can do.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
TexReb,

I have mine in a "DayPlanner." Yes, it would take a little time to respond, but because I work in an office and don't wear baggy clothes, this is the best I can do.
Thanks Cowboy, and I might not have been very clear in what I was asking earlier. What I was wondering about was how often, etc., those who have a CCL actually DO carry it...regardless of how it is carried.

Incidentally, what you say is another good reason, IMHO, to support the "open carry" movement. That is, as presently required, the weapon must not be in "plain view"...which is not only almost impossible to do without, paradoxically, making it obvious one IS carrying (a vest in summertime, fanny packs, etc) but hard to get to the sucker when it might be most needed!

At the same time though, I still tend to side with that open carry comes with the qualification that SOME sort of course or requirement be legislated...even if it is just so simple as just having to fill out a form at the local DPS office giving a place of employment and personal references and a DL number. Something that lots of scum bags who, for some reason or another have either slipped thru the cracks or not yet been caught, and could otherwise openly carry, are not likely to do...

God Bless Texas!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Hey Reb,

I have a gun rack in the back window of my truck.. I hold two rifles in it. Have you ever had any problems with Police harassment showing any weapons off in your truck window?

I have two places I can carry a weapon, on my ankle and under my armpit strapped to my side. I also have a holster that sits in the middle of my back on my belt that can hide it under a tshirt.. but I have to keep a small 22 or something there as my 45 or 9mm tends to show no matter what I do.

I agree with the class, or like you said register with a local DMV or something to help dieter unlawful carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Incidentally, what you say is another good reason, IMHO, to support the "open carry" movement. That is, as presently required, the weapon must not be in "plain view"...which is not only almost impossible to do without, paradoxically, making it obvious one IS carrying (a vest in summertime, fanny packs, etc) but hard to get to the sucker when it might be most needed!

At the same time though, I still tend to side with that open carry comes with the qualification that SOME sort of course or requirement be legislated...even if it is just so simple as just having to fill out a form at the local DPS office giving a place of employment and personal references and a DL number. Something that lots of scum bags who, for some reason or another have either slipped thru the cracks or not yet been caught, and could otherwise openly carry, are not likely to do...

God Bless Texas!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM

TexasReb,

I take my Dayplanner to work with me and inside my office. I have'nt walked into WalMarts or anything like that yet, but I might later.

I am not against open carry, but right now it is not for me. One issue I have with it is if I see someone carrying, is he a good guy or bad guy?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I conceal carry about 80% of the time depending on my plans for the day and where I'm headed. I've been caught out in a few spots lately where I wish I had it.

You read about the 2 guys killed in Garland this last week by a couple of bad guys ? To bad they didn't have something to protect themselves.

I hope not to be defenseless in a similar situation.

Practice does make perfect and I try to hit the range at least 1 time a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas