Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,606,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i like reading RVG's threads and looking at his pictures. the pics he takes are great regardless of where they are taken or whether i like the town or not.

Belle, come out here to Port Arthur sometime and check it out. It is much, much worse than Brownsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,904,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
Muhnay - haha, cant argue that, but again this is an RGV thread not an El Paso thread...and if your curious thats taken from Rio De Janeiro slums in the North Zone. One of the most dangerous non-warring places on earth. A little fun fact, in the mid-90s New Orleans was the most dangerous non-warring city in the world with a murder rate of 86 per 100,000 residents...which if I remember correctly is roughly 7.5x that of the Rio Grande Valley at the time, 4x that of Houston and Dallas and 2.5x that of Chicago. The Magnolia Projects were I believe globally ranked as one of the most dangerous projects in the world as well.
El Paso is on the Rio.. so I think its fitting..

This is a RGV thread no talking about New Orleans now.. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 PM

100 posts, read 445,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
El Paso is on the Rio.. so I think its fitting..

This is a RGV thread no talking about New Orleans now.. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

1. Mr. Gardner can do as he pleases.
2. My statement was relative. Belle talked about 3rd world, I showed what 3rd world was, you thought it was of El Paso, I corrected stated it was from Rio, Rio is one of the most dangerous places, but was surpassed by N.O. which was also to show how much the crime is not that bad in the Valley when compared to ares of true crime.
3. My statements were not in slander but in fact.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
1. Mr. Gardner can do as he pleases.
2. My statement was relative. Belle talked about 3rd world, I showed what 3rd world was, you thought it was of El Paso, I corrected stated it was from Rio, Rio is one of the most dangerous places, but was surpassed by N.O. which was also to show how much the crime is not that bad in the Valley when compared to ares of true crime.
3. My statements were not in slander but in fact.
Wow.. you need to lighten up.. and people think I am uptight.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,147 times
Default Great Pics

Downtown B'ville is such a well-kept secret. I hope no one catches on until I have all the properties I need. My son just acquired a 1939 Craftsman Bungalow for $11,500. I have my eye on a soon-to-be Tax Deed Sale property on one of the original townsites.

Quality of life is such a selective judgement. My preference is to live in a sub-tropical climate where house and auto repairs are very easy on the pocketbook.

Some have criticized Brownville residents for anti-anglo bias, rudeness, etc. Those criticisms are valid. Mexicans who have migrated northward have an extreme chip on their shoulder.

But the opportunities here outweigh the non-existent customer service, being run over at H.E.B or nearly hit by a pickup at Elizabeth and 12th. Overlook the racial prejudice, enjoy the climate and extremely inexpensive lifestyle.

Brownsville Jim

Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 AM

I should say, I found the pictures very nice, and would love to live in a place as pretty as the pictures RGV takes.. but then you get there and see the reality is often not as pretty as the images caught by RGV very talented eye.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,076 times
Thank you for the pictures and for the education regarding Brownsville area. I am a winter Texan wanna be, which might be the second most annoying thing in the world.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I should say, I found the pictures very nice, and would love to live in a place as pretty as the pictures RGV takes.. but then you get there and see the reality is often not as pretty as the images caught by RGV very talented eye.
RGV could have photo's his way down Palm Blvd. past the old Bishop Maderos/Catholic Diocese estate or into Rio Viejo or the new Brownsville Community Center or the new bike trail. . . all of which are impressive.

But he also could have gone into Cameron Park, Southmost and many other impoverished working class communities where hardly a board goes renailed or repainted. I drove through Southmost last week and noticed an occupied house trailer with no utilities. A large plastic water tank was positioned on top of the trailer for an obvious gravity flow system. Below the trailer was another plastic tank for another version of sewage gravity flow.

Jim

Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 24,491 times
Wow, how these brought so many memories. I used to live a block away from this building on 6th and St. Francis, lived there for 12 years, I wonder if you can take a picture of our old hang out place, *The Porch* Kiddie corner to that building on 7th street and St. Francis...That would be AWESOME.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Brownsville%206-08/164.jpg (broken link)

LOL, I remember paying 1.50 regular price to go to the movies every saturday or sunday... at the Majestic.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Brownsville%206-08/155.jpg (broken link)

Thank you, I love these
Sandra

Old 09-28-2010, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
you should link this up to facebook I'm sure it would get a lot of viewers both young and old can appreciate our beautiful city of Brownsville. Another note have you heard of Brownsville's cry to Opra for help? check it out!
[url=http://www.utbcollegian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=537%3 Abrownsville-to-oprah-help&catid=4%3Aarts-a-entertainment&Itemid=15]Brownsville to Oprah: Help! - The Collegian[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas