Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM

20 posts, read 86,802 times

Advertisements

Looking at a property in Daingerfield, TX and need info on this town. I know the make-up of the town, but it seems kinda lame. Also looking at property in Temple, TX and this seems more accessable to things. ANY info on either, especially, Daingerfield, would be HUGE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Daingerfield is actually really small w/one good supermarket, several churches, and a few other businesses. Not really a whole lot there since the main part of the steel mill closed down many years ago. Mostly, you have to go into Longview, or Mt. Pleasant to do major shopping. It is in a very pretty area and the state park there is one of the loveliest. Geographically, it on the far northern edge of the Piney Woods just before you start getting into the Red River Valley area and the foothills in Oklahoma. The soil is a red orange color and is rich with iron. Poultry is a big industry there. There are some nice lakes around the area including Lake O the Pines, Dangerfield Lake, Lone Star Lake, Bob Sandlin, and Wright Patman to name a few.

Temple is a much larger town with all that implies and is located in a prairie region. It also has access to at least one large lake.

Both locations are about the same distance from Dallas.

Without more specific questions...not a whole lot more to say.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM

what about crime, racial issues, etc. in Daingerfield? Don't mind quiet, but don't want neighbors with yards full of la-z-boys and trucks on blocks!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
It is in East Texas and has a southern attitude. The majority of the residents are on the lower educational and economic scales. The mind sets that go along with that tend to prevail no matter the race. The poultry industry has brought in a lot of....not sure they are legal (to judge by some of the ICE raids)...persons from south of the boarder so the balance has been switched around a little from what I have heard. The attitude in Longview down the road is not really the same as Daingerfield or Gilmer for that matter.

BTW, I grew up in the area and still have extended family there but no longer live there myself..I just visit frequently (and stick to Longview/Ore City/Jefferson vicinity most of the time).

Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM

thanks - yeah, i'm not feeling too good about Daingerfield. I think Temple would be a better choice. Daingerfield sounds like "nice house.....nice house......trash.......nice house.....trash.......trash......." yuk. Many thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:31 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Temple, hands down. love this area.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 14,502 times
Temple has as many ? Question Wet backs as Dangerfield.
With out Trees.
If you like water sports Fishing ,boating etc...
Dangerfield area can't be beat, your in the center of lakes.
You have the hills as you would in Hill country But with Pines
And ever kinda Wild Tree as in Wild Cherries, Wild Plum, Sassafras Sumac,Persimmons , locus trees,mimosas Red buds and Tons of Dogwoods, Elm ,Sweet gums Ever Kinda of Oak except Live oaks.
The Dangerfield State park has a very wide range of Plants one need a Tour Guide they would be very surprised at whats there.
Dangerfield is about 45 min away from Jefferson Texas and alot of History.
Your closer to Shreveport and the Night Life there than Dallas.

if you get a Good location out of the inter City With the trees you can get pretty secluded it want make any difference Who Lives next door.

I live out side of Hughes Springs and I walk A few hundred feet to one of Three deer Stands I have on my Property it cant be beat with a creek running through the center valley of my property.
But to each his own.

Oilrod

Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 AM

9 posts, read 59,442 times
Question Tell me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Temple, hands down. love this area.
okay, you sound like you know something I need to know. I'm moving back to TX from TN and I'm focusing on the Temple/Belton/Salado stretch, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I would do with myself in Temple. I'm 40+, single, with cats, but everything I read in the newspaper focuses on activities for the retired community or children. My main preferences for activities are art, hiking, biking, plays and hanging out with people roughly my own age. Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
well i am 43 and single and find more than plenty to do around here. go biking around Stillhouse Lake/Dam-lots of great places to ride. go biking a round Lake Belton. hiking in the same places. go to the beach at BLORA. go swimming at the swimming hole in Stillhouse Lake near the marina, or the great swimming hole, Tonkawa Falls in Crawford. rent fishin boats, jetskis, canoes, kayaks or whatever at Lake Belton or Stillhouse. go horseback riding at BLORA. art-Salado. plays-Killeen, Salado's Silver Spur Theater, Waco's Mary Hardin Baylor University, Temple...or go to Austin, Georgetown. Lots of equine events-i can find a ropin' or rodeo just about every weekend, if you're into that thing. I like Wildfire Ranch in Salado and Circle T Arena in Hamilton. anywhere circling Ft Hood you should find more than plenty to do in your age group and younger-remember, it's the largest military installation in the world, with 50,000 or so soldiers, and their dependents. this is definitely not a place focused on retirees! (however, there is lots for them too since Ft Hood attracts alot of military retirees who feel at home near post, and work after retirement as contractors). VFW activities are plentiful. and of course, there are churches. i dont consider myself a "church-goer" in the stereotypical sense of the word, never liked organized religion, but have found my home at one of the many local Cowboy Churches, where i can walk into a steel pole barn with my muddy boots, old jeans, cowboy hat or baseball hat, bring my dogs or just pet the neighboring ranch dogs who like to mosey on in to seek company and food, especially on potluck days. my church has its own arena out back, with pro-roping, and roping for dummies, jackpots and playdays, lots of great country christian music played by a very vibrant church band. definitely not a boring sunday morning. since you are moving to Salado, check into 3C Fellowship Cowboy Church-great folks, down to earth, relatively young. 3C Cowboy Fellowship, Salado, TX, Cowboy Church, Bell County Texas
they just sponsored a great ranch rodeo in Killeen Sat nite-free admission and free bbq dinner. it attracted ranch rodeo teams from various ranches in the area, and other cowboy churches. see my album i posted-just search forum for ranch rodeo to get the link. i took lots of pics n videos.
lots of hunting and fishing in the area. you can even hunt on post as a civilian as long as you register etc. there is a rod and gun club, skeet range. there are several good target shooting places outside post too, pistol clubs.
there are fairs and festivals galore.
LOTS of events at Bell County Expo Center in Belton, and H.O.T. (Heart of Texas) Expo Center in Waco.
Also, Harker Heights Events Center, Killeen Civic Center.
and there are so many events in the rural outskirt towns, where i usually hang out. people who i work with who have lived here for years, have never heard about or known of the places i go to, and i have only been here since October. i have eaten out at restaurants from Hawaiian to Thai to Puerto Rican to Korean to Cuban to Cajun/Creole to Filipino in the Killeen area, and most of my colleagues had no clue some of the places i eat at existed! i reckon i am maybe just more adventurous and inquisitive than the average person, and am a professional lifelong jetsetter esp of off the beaten path places...and that has been my life, so it's hard to believe that so many settle for a mediocre predictable existence of staying in their comfort zone, eating at chain restaurants, and shopping at chain stores. i dont get it, but everyone is different. and perhaps some are just happy not venturing out of their comfort zone. to each its own i guess. but to me, life would be boring-it's all about making the best of where you choose to live. (and on a sidenote, that is why it's so upsetting to me that when i moved to South Texas last year, for one year, and wrote about my negative experiences, many many here were very critical of me, stating that i was not "opening" myself up to the cultural experience and wasnt making an effort to assimilate. and here i am, a world traveler, having lived overseas in many continents, multi-lingual...uh except Spanish-so it was not ME. it was the area. it just simply wasn't "me"...and when i moved up here for a contractor job, all off the sudden my life, overnight, went from living culturally/socially/geographically isolated, lonely, miserable, uncomfortable, to living with joie de vivre, almost immediate development of social circles/dating/activiites/friends/networking opportunities and having a smile on my face just driving a lonely rural road here surrounded by such majestic beauty. i escaped South Texas, before i almost lost my soul and spirit, thank God)

i could think of alot more to add but it's time for this cowgirl to hit the hay. lemme know if ya have any further questions and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellintexas View Post
okay, you sound like you know something I need to know. I'm moving back to TX from TN and I'm focusing on the Temple/Belton/Salado stretch, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I would do with myself in Temple. I'm 40+, single, with cats, but everything I read in the newspaper focuses on activities for the retired community or children. My main preferences for activities are art, hiking, biking, plays and hanging out with people roughly my own age. Any suggestions?

Last edited by NOTAM; 07-30-2008 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas