Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 AM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Reputation: 2256

Advertisements

With all the growth in the Waco/Temple/Killeen area, are we poised to be the next DFW in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 506,071 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
With all the growth in the Waco/Temple/Killeen area, are we poised to be the next DFW in the near future?
I'm not seeing the big growth you're talking about.

Waco: Waco, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Killeen/Temple: Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

You have about 600,000 people in the area, which is really good. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of explosive growth. It also seems like Killeen grows and declines with the troops.

Last edited by Kofi713; 07-03-2008 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Texas
3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Reputation: 1413
drive down Hwy 190 through Harker Heights and Killeen......lots of construction right now. lots of new shopping centers etc. in the big center they are building right now in Harker Heights, there will be a Target...but interesting to note, there is a Target just a few minutes drive down from there in Killeen.........i dont get it, but if a large chain like Target is putting up another store just a few exits away, then they must see the growth here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 506,071 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
drive down Hwy 190 through Harker Heights and Killeen......lots of construction right now. lots of new shopping centers etc. in the big center they are building right now in Harker Heights, there will be a Target...but interesting to note, there is a Target just a few minutes drive down from there in Killeen.........i dont get it, but if a large chain like Target is putting up another store just a few exits away, then they must see the growth here
Click the links and look at the actual numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Kaufman County, Texas
11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Reputation: 10592
I think that the retailers are finally realizing that all of those troops have money to spend and they'd like somewhere to shop besides the PX. Tinker AFB in OK City has the same new development right outside the main gates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 AM
 
Location: DFW
40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Reputation: 55000
Quote:
Is the Waco/Temple/Killeen area the next DFW?
Let's hope not. We already have an area named DFW and it would be real confusing to have DFW 2. Especially if they built another big airport and named it DFW 2 Airport. Planes wouldn't know where to land.

How about we name it WTK or KTW ? We could have a drawing to see which initials come 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
 
6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Reputation: 3249
I talked to someone from Temple who said there is growth in Killeen, but not in Temple. I personally don't see that area being the next DFW - not until major corporations move their HQs there, which they won't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Reputation: 12147
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I talked to someone from Temple who said there is growth in Killeen, but not in Temple. I personally don't see that area being the next DFW - not until major corporations move their HQs there, which they won't do.
Killeen has seen the growth in the area over Temple for 20 years now. But no, it won't be a DFW. Killeen is growing and is starting to attract industry to the city other than just the military. When 2010 census comes out. Many expect Temple to have a pop of around 70,000 but Killeen could have over 120,000. Just the cities alone. Killeen is nearing the size of Waco and leaving Temple behind. This is only population though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Reputation: 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Let's hope not. We already have an area named DFW and it would be real confusing to have DFW 2. Especially if they built another big airport and named it DFW 2 Airport. Planes wouldn't know where to land.

How about we name it WTK or KTW ? We could have a drawing to see which initials come 1st.

I used to hear on KCEN channel 6, them calling our area the "CENTRO-PLEX". That name suits me just fine!!!!
And I hope planes don't just land themselves, I think they have pilots for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Reputation: 1413
oh heck yeah. i work on post, and almost everyone i know goes into Austin on a regular basis to shop at gourmet food warehouses like Whole Foods. so there are lots of us here who can afford gourmet foods etc.
military dependents can spend quite a bit of money-think about it, all those wives who are left behind for 15 month tours, have children to "entertain", and they take their kids places, buy things for them etc.
there is alot more disposable income than most would think. during deployments, there is a sizeable chunk of money coming in from hazard duty pay..and then there are the LARGE re-enlistment bonuses $10,000 and up that these families are cashing in on.........
so listen up Whole Foods and other big retailers, there is a market here-and we are smack between DFW and Austin, and there is a big ole empty pocket of area here that could use all the same stuff that these bigger cities have

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I think that the retailers are finally realizing that all of those troops have money to spend and they'd like somewhere to shop besides the PX. Tinker AFB in OK City has the same new development right outside the main gates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top