U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 8,523 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what people think about Hillsboro Texas is it a good place to live is it growing or not thank you ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 06:58 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bubba View Post
I would like to know what people think about Hillsboro Texas is it a good place to live is it growing or not thank you ...
I work in Hillsboro, but don't live there and would not live there. I have many reasons as to why and some might not be appropriate for this forum so I'll just leave it with, "I would not live in Hillsboro."

Grant it, many living there would speak differently about their town but I also know many that do live there that want to leave.

It is growing, but not by leaps and bounds. It is not one bit attractive except for the court house. It is quite a beautiful building that was destroyed by fire in 1993 and brought "back to life". Many did not want the old buidling restored and wanted a modern courthouse to take it's place. Thank goodness, that didn't happen.

I'm sorry, but Hillsboro just doesn't appeal to me one bit.

Last edited by KewGee; 01-17-2007 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: add sentence

Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,809,934 times
Hillsboro is a bit caught up in a time warp from the 1950's. Downtown is still doing well, the best barber shop is only open on Fridays and Saturdays, and the barber alternates cutting hair and playing blue grass music. Sports are big, the baseball season starts with a parade through town.

Shopping is limited. There is an outlet mall, but there are a number of vacant stores that have been vacant for a year or more. Your best bet for shopping is the neighborhood Wal-mart. And considering the area it serves it's a good sized store, not as big as the one in Waxahachie, but still, pretty big. The only competition for groceries is the Brookshire's downtown. Hillsboro is wet, so beer and wine are available.

There isn't any fine dining, but the majority of the fast food chains are covered. There are two Chinese, one Italian and several Mexican restaurants.

There's no nightlife that I'm aware of, but I'm married with four kids, so I don't get out much anyway.

The Elementary(preK - 3), Intermediate (4 - 6) and Junior HS (7 - 8) are all Recognized by the state, though www.greatshools.net only rates them as 6 or 7 out of 10. The High School is Academically Acceptable and rated a 5. There is one school per level, so there are no other options if you or you kids have any issues.

If you're coming from a city of any size, it will be a bit of culture shock. (Mostly because there's not much culture in Hillsboro. ) At it's heart Hillsboro exists to support the regional farmers, the people are salt of the Earth types and if you respect their ways, you won't have any troubles finding a niche for yourself. I'm a computer consultant from South Carolina, who's never hunted, seldom fished, and can't grow a plant to save my life, and yet I was able to make friends.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,991 times
Hillsboro, In MY opinion, is a good place to live. At least it was. I lived there from 1992 till 1995. I was there when the courthouse burned, Actually saw it when the fire started. Very sad! I had small children when we were there and they loved it as well. They are all Teenagers now. We now live in Las Vegas Nevada and HATE it. We miss the small town, feeling of community. We are planning to move back to the area by next year. It was a good place to raise children. I can't really think of anything bad about Hillsboro. Shopping may not be plentiful but you have plenty of Big Town choices a short drive away.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM

202 posts, read 762,164 times
I grew up somewhat near Hillsboro and have the same opinion on it as KewGee. If you have a choice, don't.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 20,839 times
Default Don't move to Hillsboro if you have any other choice!!

My family are originally from Britain, but we have lived in America for the last ten years (and it's a fantastic country!).

However, sadly, I cannot say the same for Hillsboro, Tx. We have lived here since July 06, and are now selling our house here (at a large loss), just to get out of this town.

I realize some people may take umbridge at my remarks, but this is our experience:

1) The school district is dreadful (with the exception of the Junior High, due to a dynamic new principle who is turning it around). The elementaries are a joke, with rude, backward, inbred bubba types teaching there. They cannot abide newcomers (especially ones from Europe) and make it obvious.

2) The roads are falling apart, and no-one in government cares. Money is always spent on the school sports programmes, espcially the football stadium, but the disgusting roads are full of pitholes, and nothing gets done (unless you are a big wig in the town, and then the road outside your house is fixed).

3) There is no pound, and animal control don't care about all the wild animals, stray dogs etc. We have had TWO rabid skunks in our backyard since last summer, yet the official policy is that rabies is non-existant in Hillsboro. Try telling that to a parent of a child that gets bitten one day.

4) There is absolutely NOTHING to do in this town, unless you count going to Church. No swimming pool, no sports centre, no movie theatre NADA. It's terrible (oh yes there's Wally World, sorry forgetting that). No HEB, no Kroegers, no decent food store.

5) No bus service, no hire car rental place, no train service, so if your vehicle needs repair you can't even get out of city limits for a bit of culture.

6) The park is a den of inequity, that looks like it's used by drug dealers. Don't go there after dark, in fact don't go there before dark.

Well, that's it folks, if you love church three times a week, and being related to everyone twenty times over, have one tooth and play the banjo real good, then you'll love Hillsboro. However, if you hanker after culture, live theatre, good bookstores, galleries and intelligent conversation consisting of words over two syllables, then DON'T set foot in Hillsboro.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM

10,751 posts, read 33,533,203 times
I lived there, there were times when I was so affraid I had a gun out on the coffee table.

There were apartments on the edge of a residential neighborhood where prostitution and drugs went on.

Its no place I would ever want to be again. I too worked there but wouldn't allow mysef to be in that position again.

There are plenty of towns with less crime and more wholesom living out there too choose from. I looked at buying a house while there but I am SO glad I didn't. When the time came for me to escape I was able to very easily.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,440,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindafromuk View Post
My family are originally from Britain, but we have lived in America for the last ten years (and it's a fantastic country!).

However, sadly, I cannot say the same for Hillsboro, Tx. We have lived here since July 06, and are now selling our house here (at a large loss), just to get out of this town.

I realize some people may take umbridge at my remarks, but this is our experience:

1) The school district is dreadful (with the exception of the Junior High, due to a dynamic new principle who is turning it around). The elementaries are a joke, with rude, backward, inbred bubba types teaching there. They cannot abide newcomers (especially ones from Europe) and make it obvious.

2) The roads are falling apart, and no-one in government cares. Money is always spent on the school sports programmes, espcially the football stadium, but the disgusting roads are full of pitholes, and nothing gets done (unless you are a big wig in the town, and then the road outside your house is fixed).

3) There is no pound, and animal control don't care about all the wild animals, stray dogs etc. We have had TWO rabid skunks in our backyard since last summer, yet the official policy is that rabies is non-existant in Hillsboro. Try telling that to a parent of a child that gets bitten one day.

4) There is absolutely NOTHING to do in this town, unless you count going to Church. No swimming pool, no sports centre, no movie theatre NADA. It's terrible (oh yes there's Wally World, sorry forgetting that). No HEB, no Kroegers, no decent food store.

5) No bus service, no hire car rental place, no train service, so if your vehicle needs repair you can't even get out of city limits for a bit of culture.

6) The park is a den of inequity, that looks like it's used by drug dealers. Don't go there after dark, in fact don't go there before dark.

Well, that's it folks, if you love church three times a week, and being related to everyone twenty times over, have one tooth and play the banjo real good, then you'll love Hillsboro. However, if you hanker after culture, live theatre, good bookstores, galleries and intelligent conversation consisting of words over two syllables, then DON'T set foot in Hillsboro.
I believe you must give credit to the new Assistant Principal at the Junior High who seemingly is making a difference. It is truly the disciplinarian that most often can do a lot of "turning around" in the school.

I don't know exactly what you mean about the dynamic Principal and turning the school around. Like I said, it takes a strong assistant to really make a difference in discipline. It that isn't there, there isn't too much the principal can do but find a strong person to do a tough job.

Hillsboro is an awful town; check out the Wal-Mart and get an idea of the quality of people who live there. I wouldn't live there is someone paid my way in life.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 20,839 times
Default Don't choose Hillsboro if you have any other option

Canine Castle, you are right, it does take discipline to turn around a school, and both the Principle and Vice Principle should be given credit for this.

After considering my remarks on my previous post, I feel that I should add that there are some very good, intelligent and welcoming teachers in the school district, but that they are few and far between. I still feel that there is a very strong 'clique' of teachers (and others in power) who have lived in Hillsboro all their lives, (the same as their forebearers), and they are so resistant to any change, or ***** of light being shone on their narrow little world that it would be funny if not so sad. I have removed my child from the elementary to home school him until we move shortly, because I could not take any more attitude, snubs, and downright rudeness from many staff. I will give one example - I was educated in a good prep school in England with affiliation to Cambridge University, have studied at university level in Italy and Spain, and have lived in many cities in Europe and the U.S., and spent time in the British Military as a linguist in the Intelligence Corps, yet one assistant teacher at the elementary suggested snidely that perhaps I should take a GED and parenting course as I was not able to supervise my child properly with his homework! It was this sort of thing that made me realize that no matter how hard you try to make friends, a home, a life, and be a valid member of the community in Hillsboro, you are banging your head against a wall of ignorance and stupidity, mixed with fear of change.

My family and I are lucky, we are getting out. However, I feel truly sorry for anyone who sees that their is another world that doesn't have Hillsboro at its core, but is prevented from escaping by lack of money etc. This is why I am being as honest as possible (as I see it) about Hillsboro, to stop anyone else making a mistake by moving here.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,440,868 times
******** lindafromuk ********

I totally agree with you about Hillsboro. I know the town, many people who live there, and am familiar with the schools. By the way, the assistant principal at the junior high was born, raised, and graduated from Hillsboro HS.

The only thing I can think of as to why that assistant teacher made the ridiculous and obvious ignorant comment is because she is jealous of you and the intelligence you exhibit. This is very threatening to many who are a lacking in smarts and common sense. She was trying to make you look uneducated so she would look better. Very often, these people are extremely defensive because of their shortcomings in the field of education. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum, those that think because they have a degree, they are indeed top-notch people. As we both know, this is not the case.

About a year or so ago, I met a British woman in Hillsboro and was so delighted to speak to someone who spoke well and carried on an intelligent conversation. I also met her young son and he as well was a delight and a rarity to find such in small towns in Texas. Keep in mind it isn't you; they are just so "not sure" of themselves and when faced with a newcomer from another country yet, it probably makes them fidget within their own skin.

There are many well-educated and well-versed teachers in Texas, but trust me, I know what you mean about the Bubbas and the like. One wonders how in the world they received a college degree and are hired to teach our children. When the teachers talk as poorly as the kids, it's not disgusting. When they can't even write a letter that is above what a 4th grader could write, it's pretty scary. It will just go on and on and on.

Anyway, I wish you the best on your search for a better place. Will you be staying in Texas? If so, be careful as you will find this type of mentality just about anywhere in the South, at least that's what I've observed for many, many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas