Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times

Advertisements

I've only floated the Guadalupe. Never saw any snakes and only saw a couple of turtles but the turtles were closer to shore in very shallow water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
I've been once (going next weekend though!) and didn't see any. I really wouldn't worry about it. Your chances of dying in a car wreck on the way there are probably 1000x higher than even getting a snakebite, much less dying from one.
I've floated extensively in the Ozarks and been several feet away from water moccasins (cotton mouths), which are poisonous, and never had any problems. Some people say they will hop in your canoe, but I've been floating there for 15 years and never had a single problem.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
If your up to it, its fun to go to Gruen Dance hall afterward BUT it has no AC last I heard. Its supposed to be the oldest dance hall in Texas.

Then again I loved the outlet shopping at San Marcos.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:16 PM

63 posts, read 284,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Which river is more fun to float...the Guadalupe or the Comal? I have always wanted to try that Comal shoot. Has anyone done that? What's it like?
Depending on the water level, (which can fluctuate quite a bit) the Guadalupe is pretty wild. Much more of an adventure than the Comal. But the Comal is very fun too, (especially the shute.) The Guadalupe can also be a little dangerous. Don't worry about snakes, but watch for rocks. You can easily get flipped over in the rapids and hit your head on a rock if you're not careful. Skinned up knees, shins and butts are the norm when floating the Guadalupe. It's also a much longer float, sometimes lasting 5-6 hours depending on the flow rate. And if you have kids, be wary of drunks. Expect to hear at the very least a few "f" bombs.

Both are a lot of fun, but for families and those that don't want to spend all day on the river looking over their shoulders for the next rock, I'd suggest the Comal. If you want to drink a lot of beer and have a little more excitement, go for the Guadalupe. Both are a blast and I wish I lived closer so I could go every dang weekend!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
A group of friends from high school and college used to go every Memorial Day (then one-by-one they flaked off with marriages and kids). Only the first time we used canoes - then rented a party raft. The tubes may be fun but we never did it because of the prune-buttdragging thing...one of my friends jumped from the cliff and lost his class ring. He went back later with scuba gear - didn't find his ring but found a very valuable diamond ring.

Never saw a snake.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
A group of friends from high school and college used to go every Memorial Day (then one-by-one they flaked off with marriages and kids). Only the first time we used canoes - then rented a party raft. The tubes may be fun but we never did it because of the prune-buttdragging thing...one of my friends jumped from the cliff and lost his class ring. He went back later with scuba gear - didn't find his ring but found a very valuable diamond ring.

Never saw a snake.
The kind of tubes we had, had a board strapped on to the bottom so your butt did get pruned but it didn't knock against anything.

The party raft sounds like ALOT of fun though.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Well we wiped out at Hueco Falls once - a little like in How the West Was Won (1962)

Found this: Guadalupe River, Texas

Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
A few pics of when I went kayaking on the Guadalupe, a little different than toobing.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Wow TexasNick, it sure looks inviting.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post
Depending on the water level, (which can fluctuate quite a bit) the Guadalupe is pretty wild. Much more of an adventure than the Comal. But the Comal is very fun too, (especially the shute.) The Guadalupe can also be a little dangerous. Don't worry about snakes, but watch for rocks. You can easily get flipped over in the rapids and hit your head on a rock if you're not careful. Skinned up knees, shins and butts are the norm when floating the Guadalupe. It's also a much longer float, sometimes lasting 5-6 hours depending on the flow rate. And if you have kids, be wary of drunks. Expect to hear at the very least a few "f" bombs.

Both are a lot of fun, but for families and those that don't want to spend all day on the river looking over their shoulders for the next rock, I'd suggest the Comal. If you want to drink a lot of beer and have a little more excitement, go for the Guadalupe. Both are a blast and I wish I lived closer so I could go every dang weekend!
I lived in NB for 8 years & tubed dozens of times & agree with everything westtx posts.

If you're in your 20's & want to get drunk, go on the Guadalupe.....otherwise try the Comal first....truly a lovely float.

Tip....the Wurstfest Assoc. has a parking lot & toob rental next to the Wursthall. The nicest & longest float on the Comal, easily two hours.

Tip 2....if the Guadalupe is closed (due to low water)....don't float...the Comal will be a nightmare (drunk/crowded) float.

Tip 3.....Get in the water before 11am (or noon) & you'll miss the drunks....& have alot of your day left.

Tip 4.....No snakes on the Comal...they hate the spring fed 72 degree water.

Tip 5....Huisache Restaurant (near downtown) is actually better than the Gristmill (but i like them both).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas