Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,495 times

Advertisements

I would be happy to bring a Grapeland Watermelon....even though it's a 90 minute drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 PM

160 posts, read 638,392 times
I ain't about to pop for the tab on enough cabrito to feed all of ya'll. I'll bring more Shiner. And a big ole pot of frijoles. And those red things floating in them are really Capt'n Crunch Berries. Honest!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I'm having such a good time at the picnic in my head right now (I know, it's late! Time for me to get some shut eye )

Old 07-12-2008, 01:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
I'm sorry I have to bring more than one thing....but I am providing them in order;-)

-my mom's pecan pie
-okra seasoned with Tony Chachere's
-sweet tea
-pork ribs smothered in Head Country BBQ sauce
-my wife's chicken fried steak
-southern banana pudding
-ChickFila
-Chicken Express's tenders
-banana cheesecake (from Cheesecake Factory) drizzled with chocolate sauce
-moonpie/RC Cola

Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Default I Just Can't Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings fellow Texans!

With all that has been done lately with food/drink polls, and the talk of possibly holding a "get together" at some future time, I got to thinking about a new thread topic.

To wit, what ONE food item would you contribute to such a gathering if you could ONLY bring/do one? That is, bring from home or prepare at the site itself? I am looking for what y'all consider your own "specialties".

Naturally, if this ever comes to fruition, I don't think anybody is going to object to anyone bringing and/or making MORE than one, of course! LOL Just for starters though, I wanted to keep it at a single item to find out what you consider yourselves to do best in the realm of food traditionally associated with Texas.

Black-eyed peas would be mine (with fried okra a respectable second!).

Step up the plate, y'all, and brag on what you do best!

Just one??? You mean we can't bring a second, third, or fourth item, Rebby??

Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Peach cobbler, if I am living down there when you have your picnic The way things are going, not looking so good If not, then I'll catch y'all next time

Old 07-12-2008, 10:43 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,772 times
Sounds like people have lots of stuff already covered... so I would bring broccoli rice (and cheese!!!) casserole. I've never had one better than my husband's grandmother's, but mine is pretty close.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Just one??? You mean we can't bring a second, third, or fourth item, Rebby??
LOL Well, I just wanted to know what everyone considers their speciality. After that, by all means, bring on the chuck wagon!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
One thing that really leaps out as nobody having mentioned yet is fried chicken!!

C'mon y'all...can many of us remember a family reunion or dinner on the grounds that did not include true, homemade, pan-fried Southern fried chicken?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
One thing that really leaps out as nobody having mentioned yet is fried chicken!!

C'mon y'all...can many of us remember a family reunion or dinner on the grounds that did not include true, homemade, pan-fried Southern fried chicken?
Actually, yes....I can't remember EVER having fried chicken at a family reunion...LOL!! Cabrito and BBQ would be more likely!

Besides, like CFS, fried chicken is another of those items that is mostly nasty away from home.

We skin our chicken, then batter it, so all you have is a great, crunchy edible crust!! YUM!!

Fried chicken skin is just nasty!! If I have to eat at a nasty place like KFC or Church's Chicken, it always gets skinned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas