Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM

160 posts, read 638,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Political Scientists believe Texas will become a liberal democratic state by 2020. I can try to find a link later today.
I can only hope that does not happen. And, no I am not a Republican, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
I can only hope that does not happen. And, no I am not a Republican, either.
Texas was a 'democratic', albeit not so liberal, state a couple of elections before Ann Richards. I'd rather see it become a bedrock of libertarianism.

Neither southern nor western, eastern nor northern.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Texas was a 'democratic', albeit not so liberal, state a couple of elections before Ann Richards. I'd rather see it become a bedrock of libertarianism.

Neither southern nor western, eastern nor northern.
We can only dream...wouldnt it be nice for Texas to be the first state to for a 3rd party candidate to win?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
well simply because every other person walking down the street in texas relocated from New York, Chicago, or California...

texas has really lost it's southern roots thanks to re-location in the 1980s-2000s.

Only the extreme eastern rural parts seem to hold to a native texan southern tradition.

I am not saying it is a bad thing, but a lot of relocatees (hence the number of forum posts) tend to want to change texas into a northern state or more comfortable culture to their likings.

It is only a matter of time before the combined number of California, New York, Illinois, and Mexican born citizens outnumber the native Texan born citizens.

The state will be even harder to define then.
This is a great post (giving a rep point as well), and I agree with the general points made (of course, I DO think it is a "bad" thing for Texas to be changed into something different ala' northern/California migration! LOL).

But anyway, yes, no doubt the said migration (legal and illegal) has had an impact on Texas traditional culture, and is diluting it ever more. I don't think there is any doubt that numbers affect after a while. If migration is gradual and over time, then the migrants assimilate into the larger culture. Here is a good take on this one, written by Michael Lind, a native Texan, in his book "Born In Texas."

It was a VERY critical look at the Bush administration and definitely not complimentary to the South at large, but it made a foundational point in this particular topic area:

Despite its Western trappings, Texas has always been part of the South, which provided the ancestors of the majority of white Texans as well as the dominant culture into which newcomers of all races tend to be assimilated....

Anyway, as you -- and Spade as well -- seem to say, the immigration is now coming faster now than can be assimilated into the traditional culture. I still think it is essentially a Southern state, because many of these new influences are confined to the larger cities, which get most of the attention. At the same time though, if it continues, then the traditional Texas/Southern culture will evolve into that of the newcomers. No doubt it is happening, and doesn't seem to be any stopping it. As Spade noted, it is happening in Virginia too. It has long since converted Florida. And there are other areas of the traditionally defined South as well (North Carolina, and Atlanta, Georgia), even if in smaller pockets...

Of course, my own outlook is that it is a crying shame. I will never understand the mindset which causes "yankees" to come to Texas, then try and convert it into a place identical to what they fled from to begin with...

Regardless of whether or not individual native Texans consider it a Southern or Southwestern state (and it is obvious there are disagreements! LOL), I think most of us share in THAT opinion...

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-07-2008 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Of course, my own outlook is that it is a crying shame. I will never understand the mindset which causes "yankees" to come to Texas, then try and convert it into a place identical to what they fled from to begin with...

What, you never heard of Reconstruction?

However, you're right. There seems to be a tendency in some parts to do exactly that, move away from someplace to someplace entirely different and then try to change the place they moved to into the place they moved from. Madness. Or arrogance in the extreme.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Don't be so hasty to say all of Florida though. North Florida is overwhelmingly Southern and that doesn't look like it will change for the forseeable future. Orlando is where the South culturally is. But essentially, Florida is a southern state like Texas and Virginia.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 11,616 times
East Texas is definitely dominated by Southern traditions and influences. However, the farther west you travel, the less Southern influence you see and hear. I have lived in Texas for most of my 58 years , and I have lived in East, West, the Panhandle and Central Texas. I have lived in Plainview, Odessa, Wichita Falls, Houston, and El Paso. EL Paso is dominated by Hispanic culture and by California influences. Very few people here have "Texas accents" and the Southern influence is very limited.

And, if you call the fantastic Mexican food in El Paso "Tejano", you'll have guacamole in your eye! I've had "Mexican food" all over this country, and no place...and I mean NO place...has the incredible true Mexican food like El Paso. We are right on the border with Juarez, and folks here haven't contaminated a great culinary tradition with Tex-Mex, Tejano, or whatever you wish to call it. Come on down and have some REAL Mexican food...and it won't be served with grits, biscuits, or ham-n-beans! (which, by the way, are wonderful, too!)

"Idiotic Southern accent"...hhmmmm...that might be me you're talking about, partner...and it's part of who I am...and most of my family, too...People in each part of this country should be proud of their accents, their cultures, their tradition...and should be accepting of all...that's why we are America.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I don't have much of a Southern accent, but I don't find it "idiotic". I find it musical and euphonious. NenaT, you're absolutely right. There are bright people, and idiots, in every part of the country.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,097 times
Well I'm from Texas and I love my Southren roots I stay in Georgia now and to me Georiga is not as Southren as Texas.....

Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM

795 posts, read 1,584,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a great post (giving a rep point as well), and I agree with the general points made (of course, I DO think it is a "bad" thing for Texas to be changed into something different ala' northern/California migration! LOL).

But anyway, yes, no doubt the said migration (legal and illegal) has had an impact on Texas traditional culture, and is diluting it ever more. I don't think there is any doubt that numbers affect after a while. If migration is gradual and over time, then the migrants assimilate into the larger culture. Here is a good take on this one, written by Michael Lind, a native Texan, in his book "Born In Texas."

It was a VERY critical look at the Bush administration and definitely not complimentary to the South at large, but it made a foundational point in this particular topic area:

Despite its Western trappings, Texas has always been part of the South, which provided the ancestors of the majority of white Texans as well as the dominant culture into which newcomers of all races tend to be assimilated....

Anyway, as you -- and Spade as well -- seem to say, the immigration is now coming faster now than can be assimilated into the traditional culture. I still think it is essentially a Southern state, because many of these new influences are confined to the larger cities, which get most of the attention. At the same time though, if it continues, then the traditional Texas/Southern culture will evolve into that of the newcomers. No doubt it is happening, and doesn't seem to be any stopping it. As Spade noted, it is happening in Virginia too. It has long since converted Florida. And there are other areas of the traditionally defined South as well (North Carolina, and Atlanta, Georgia), even if in smaller pockets...

Regardless of whether or not individual native Texans consider it a Southern or Southwestern state (and it is obvious there are disagreements! LOL), I think most of us share in THAT opinion...
I agree. And I many not be a native Texan but I do consider myself a "naturalized" Texan because I have embraced the culture, assimilated and made it my own. And I like the natives get annoyed with people from other states that have the arrogance to try to change Texas into something that matches where they come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas