Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, it sure doesn't sound like we disagree on that part of it! LOL

Yes, we ARE Texas. Who amongst us denies that? But, when Texas, as a whole HAS to be grouped with a region, we are essentially part of the South. Not much of Texas can be disassociated from the South as commonly understood.

I am sorry, THL, but I don't understand what you are saying at all, in terms of historical continuity and the phraseology.

For gosh sakes, those who migrated to Texas from the southeastern U.S. did so for many reasons, (some fleeing a rope! LOL), but NEVER was it to deny their own roots. Anymore than a kid starting out on their own denies where they come from and what they are.

How does this dishonor Texas? I mean, to use your logic, would it be fair to say that those who left South Carolina to move west into Alabama and Mississippi decades earlier were motivated by any different reasons than those in the latter who moved into Texas?

No, they were Southerners moving west. Adventurous Southerners and yeah, in lots of cases....wellllll, As somebody once put it ", Texas was the place where Southern society sent their insane and embarrasing kin! LOL

But what evolved was an extremely unique Southern state. And also, might add, one whose Sons were the Pride of the Confederacy!
TexasReb, where do you think the folks who made up the Confederacy came from? My genealogical research shows that a lot of them came from the North (or via the North from the British Isles and Europe, of course). So your same argument could just have easily been (and may have been - I'll have to go pull out the old history books and such and see if I can find any such reference) used by the Union to challenge the Southern states' claim to secession and states' rights.

Not that you insisting that Texas is a Southern state, primarily, is anywhere near that serious, but the feeling is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Of course it doesn't. Not at all. But Texas is western and southwestern in a different way than is Colorado or Arizona. In the same way that Alabama is eastern different than Ohio or Iowa.

Correct again, but where do we start in considering regional affiliations within the United States? Louisiana and Arkansas would not be what they are without France.

Cattle, yes, started way back in the old countries and were imported. You are right. Same as okra did. Came from Africa.

But...both are staples of Texas in a way that is Southern in origin and evolution in the realm of Texas...

Better believe it. Love to!
Cattle, yes, started way back in the old countries and were imported. You are right. Same as okra did. Came from Africa.

So did yummy watermelon...

But...both are staples of Texas in a way that is Southern in origin and evolution in the realm of Texas...

Ok, I'll bite. Regarding the second sentence in blue....how so?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
TexasReb, where do you think the folks who made up the Confederacy came from? My genealogical research shows that a lot of them came from the North (or via the North from the British Isles and Europe, of course). So your same argument could just have easily been (and may have been - I'll have to go pull out the old history books and such and see if I can find any such reference) used by the Union to challenge the Southern states' claim to secession and states' rights.
I am really not sure exactly what point is being made here. Not being flip at all, I just need some clarification.

If you are saying that there were some people who originally landed in the northern states and came to the Southern states later, I am sure this is true (pssssst? Don't tell anyone, but one of my g-g-g grandfathers was born in New York City. He later redeemed himself by moving to South Carolina and becoming a doctor in the Confederate Army! LOL)

Anyway, of course, though, Jamestown, Virginia, was the first American settlement (contrary to Plymouth Rock and the Pilgrims legends! LOL), and my understanding is that most who migrated across the Upper South (Kentucky, Tennessee, etc) usually orginated in Virginia or perhaps the middle colonies. Those who migrated across the Deep South usually got their start in South Carolina or Georgia.

In terms of Texas settlement, I have been trying to order a book by Terry Jordan called Geography of Texas, where there is a table indicating the percentage origins of settlers by state and/or foreign country (for some reason, I can't seem to find it on line). Anyway, those from the Upper and Lower South were clearly a majority. I'll keep trying to find it. It is interesting in its own right!

Quote:
Not that you insisting that Texas is a Southern state, primarily, is anywhere near that serious, but the feeling is the same.
Near that serious? LOL This makes it sound like I committed some kind of crime! But seriously, I say it because my research indicates it to be true, and backs up my own experiences and observations. Regional studies have always interested me, and there is nothing wrong with disagreement in this area.

And maybe one day this whole topic will fade away! LOL

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-04-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Not as long as any of us disagree with your premise, I suspect!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Not as long as any of us disagree with your premise, I suspect!
Or vice-versa, huh?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,818 times
I know im southern, I was born in Texas and have family roots in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Tennessee, so I and other people arent ashamed of our heritage, as a matter of face I embraced it and love showing that Texas Pride off.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
Southern is only a part of Texas' heritage, primarily in southeast Texas. Well, excepting for the Peach trees. Just as the Pacific Ocean is about the only thing that makes LA or San Francisco western. Well, excepting for Hollywood.

Texas is its own region. Heck, it used to be its own country. Visit the Texas Embassy Cantina in London, then call Texas southern.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM

795 posts, read 2,299,379 times
Talking which way did they go

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
I live in South Texas and we have SouthWestern Bell telephone. What does that mean? I'm confused now.
HA HA - you were not confused before, why now?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM

85 posts, read 208,289 times
well simply because every other person walking down the street in texas relocated from New York, Chicago, or California...

texas has really lost it's southern roots thanks to re-location in the 1980s-2000s.

Only the extreme eastern rural parts seem to hold to a native texan southern tradition.

I am not saying it is a bad thing, but a lot of relocatees (hence the number of forum posts) tend to want to change texas into a northern state or more comfortable culture to their likings.

It is only a matter of time before the combined number of California, New York, Illinois, and Mexican born citizens outnumber the native Texan born citizens.

The state will be even harder to define then.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
well simply because every other person walking down the street in texas relocated from New York, Chicago, or California...

texas has really lost it's southern roots thanks to re-location in the 1980s-2000s.

Only the extreme eastern rural parts seem to hold to a native texan southern tradition.

I am not saying it is a bad thing, but a lot of relocatees (hence the number of forum posts) tend to want to change texas into a northern state or more comfortable culture to their likings.

It is only a matter of time before the combined number of California, New York, Illinois, and Mexican born citizens outnumber the native Texan born citizens.

The state will be even harder to define then.
Honestly, I think that may happen sooner than people think. Even the natives are changing their views albeit slowly. I agree 100% with your post. Texas is going through a transition just like Virginia. Political Scientists believe Texas will become a liberal democratic state by 2020. I can try to find a link later today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas