Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM

673 posts, read 3,092,402 times

Advertisements

I felt like just had to create separate thread to talk about high power companies charge rates in Texas. I moved to Texas 1 year ago from Missouri and I just can't get over SUPER HIGH price of electricity in Texas. It runs 3 times higher back in Columbia, Missouri. Seem to me Deregulation has raised prices in Texas. Back in Missouri, still regulated by the state prices so so much lower.

Rural Missouri (5 miles) out of town during off season you can Electricity for of $.0378, yep thats 3.78 cents per KWH!!! It tops out at $0.0792. If you don't believe me just look at AmerenUE Rural MO rate here: https://www2.ameren.com/ACMSContent/Rates/Rates_umbe28rt1M.pdf (broken link).

Around DFW rates seem go from o $0.10 to like $0.20 per KWH here. Even in smaller towns like Tyler rates are currently around $0.16 per KHW.

These area in Missouri are about 550 miles away from DFW, closer than El Paso. I don't think Texas & Missouri are too far away at all, but cost in Electricity is just too high in Texas compare to Missouri. I am not at all why Texas can't price rates down a lot lower, closer to Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I felt like just had to create separate thread to talk about high power companies charge rates in Texas. I moved to Texas 1 year ago from Missouri and I just can't get over SUPER HIGH price of electricity in Texas. It runs 3 times higher back in Columbia, Missouri. Seem to me Deregulation has raised prices in Texas. Back in Missouri, still regulated by the state prices so so much lower.

Rural Missouri (5 miles) out of town during off season you can Electricity for of $.0378, yep thats 3.78 cents per KWH!!! It tops out at $0.0792. If you don't believe me just look at AmerenUE Rural MO rate here: https://www2.ameren.com/ACMSContent/Rates/Rates_umbe28rt1M.pdf (broken link).

Around DFW rates seem go from o $0.10 to like $0.20 per KWH here. Even in smaller towns like Tyler rates are currently around $0.16 per KHW.

These area in Missouri are about 550 miles away from DFW, closer than El Paso. I don't think Texas & Missouri are too far away at all, but cost in Electricity is just too high in Texas compare to Missouri. I am not at all why Texas can't price rates down a lot lower, closer to Missouri.
ANother lie from Rick Perry and his far right friends. They kept telling us that when we went to dergulation, rates would go down. They have not stopped climbing since!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,282,915 times
I live in a small town in Texas (outskirts of the town) and my per kwh cost is $.1384636 or a simpler way to put it, $.14 per kwh, and that's way too high.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,436,466 times
What gets me is the companies that charge a higher rate for using less electricity. You know the if it's under 1000kwh the rate goes up type of deals. Talk about a disincentive to conservation. I generally support free markets and deregulation; however, it really doesn't work with utilities. Since there is only one set of wires into your house it isn't truly competitive. they can't compete based on better service, less downtime, etc. It isn't like buying groceries or gasoline. The other thing that drives me crazy is how much lower commercial rates are. It's the same electrons being pushed by the same equipment. Some people argue that since commercial electric customers use more it should be priced less, but I know lot's of businesses that use less than residential customers with a largish house.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,584 times
Move to a town with an electric utility owned by its citizens: Austin, Lubbock, San Antonio, Denton. We never trusted goverment and we damn sure don't trust Rick Perry.

You may not like the towns but our utilities are stable and controlled by the locals. I may be wrong (you'll tell me) but in my 1400 square foot house with the AC set on 79 in the middle of summer (with a 24 SER AC unit - thanks for the $500 rebate City of Austin), I pay less than $150 for peak cooling months.

I also have natural gas for the stove, water heater and dryer.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:02 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,589 times
<rant>
At least y'all aren't in Houston - I read somewhere that we have the highest rates in the state.

Per the Powertochoose.com website and a zip code of 77002 (downtown Houston), the rates were between 16.5 to 23.5 cents per KWH just a few minutes ago (they seem to change a lot - going up, not down).

Sheesh!

I have no idea why electricity is so much more expensive here than it is in Dallas (not that Dallas is cheap!). It doesn't make sense to me.

Stupid deregulation!

</rant>

Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Angry Next Thing I'll Buy Is A Hand Fan

I didn't expect this to happen. Back in May, I spent $0.14 a kilowatt for my bill. When I got my bill in late June, it had gone up to $0.19 a kilowatt. Nineteen cents, folks. Yikes! Such a steep spike for one month. I ended up paying 40 more dollars than I expected to this past month.

What do oil companies and legislators expect us to be?? Millionaires??

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
We still have regualted electric here and thye same server to the area. But that said elctriv pirces have gone up as natural gas has gone up.Energy is just going up everywhere it seems.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:46 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,714,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We still have regualted electric here and thye same server to the area. But that said elctriv pirces have gone up as natural gas has gone up.Energy is just going up everywhere it seems.

That's what it is... electricity is mainly produced from natural gas here. In the midwest, it's cheaper because it's coal.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,386,808 times
just switched online a few minutes ago from First Choice Power to Reliant. after one more big electric bill, i just got sick of it..will see if this is better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas