U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:11 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,640,926 times

Advertisements

Depends on what mood I am in. The season will also determine my selection. I always have Miller Lite in the fridge along with Shiner Blonde and Guinness. Pabst is pretty good though. Hell....I like em all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,421,636 times
Shiner Blonde from the Spoetzl Brewery

Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM

1,406 posts, read 965,643 times
The best beer is the one you brewed yourself. Learn how to do it November 5th on Teach a Friend to Brew Day:

http://www.sanantoniocerveceros.org/teach.html (broken link)

Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM

I'm bout to start drinking some Lone Star Light and watch the Longhorns hopefully beat OK State. Mmmmm.....cold beer.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM

8,399 posts, read 20,778,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
The last time I was in England I was stunned to see the amount of Budweiser that was being consumed. It seemed like every kid had a bottle in his hand. Corona also seemed to be selling well. I was more than happy to pay the the same price for a pint of local brew.
First, it's still because it is novelty there. Back when I lived in the UK, we had some locals trade us a case of their beer for some Budweiser we had. Five minutes later they wanted to trade back, but we told them no deal.

Secondly, the Budweiser you get in Europe is not the same swill that they sell here. The original company, Budvar, is in the Czech Republic and was called "the beer of Kings" (and since we don't have a king, it was swapped for the US version). Budvar is not bad, much better than its US counterpart; but compared to the other beers you can get there, it's....well, like drinking Budweiser!

Thirdly, most Americans are not beer connoisseurs; they drink it more for the effects of alcohol than they do the taste. That is why cheap beer is so popular, but anyone who truly appreciates a good beer would rather not drink it at all than to drink some of the crude being mass-produced in this country. With the exception of micro-breweries, there isn't a decent mainstream beer in this state or the US. The closest would be Samuel Adams, which is brewed to European (specifically German) standards.

Lastly, nothing cracks me up more than to see people who drink Stella Artois and think it is some kind of exotic European import; but there it's known as "the wife beater's beer of Belgium." Even when we lived there I wouldn't drink the stuff, it's sour and has a horrible aftertaste.

I have yet to find a great Texas-made beer, but I am biased. In Germany we had an excellent brewery (Bischhof) about a mile away from our house near Winnweiler (close to Sembach Air Base). When I bought it in local shops, it no kidding was probably bottled no more than a few days prior. It was heaven!

Life's too short to drink lousy beer, but that doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-15-2011, 02:52 PM

8,048 posts, read 8,762,968 times
I stick with my tried and true Bud Light...

...BUT

I want to try new beers but the problem I have run into trying to buy different things is that because no one ever buys "exotic" (for lack of a better term) beers, there is no turnover in stock so when you buy something it has most likely been sitting there for months and is skunky.

And M2 I kind of take offense to the comment "Thirdly, most Americans are not beer connoisseurs; they drink it more for the effects of alcohol than they do the taste.". While my comment isnt directed specifically at you any time I tell people I drink Bud Light I get some comment about how crappy it tastes or that it is watery <insert any other insult here>. Personally I like the taste of it. I like that it is lighter than most beer snobs would drink because I can drink it all day and still remember my name. If I came across something I liked better I would probably drink it.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Sigh.....my horns lost. Bright side is I still have plenty of Lone Star Light. I am assuming SabresFan is from New York and I will not hold that against him/her. I do agree with his/her post though. Just b/c you drink Bud Light doesn't make you second class in the beer conoshure...conoshare...that word is too big.. world. I love light beers because they are easy on the old stomach especially if you are eating at the same time. I know if I am drinking Guinness I am for sure not eating because it is too filling. To each his own and lets enjoy all beers. Whether watery **** or a pint of the black stuff (Guinness). Who has had a Pearl lately?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:42 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,048,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Lone Star and Shiner. A lot of people tend to slam Lone Star as being a bad beer, but I think that's only because it's cheap. It's really a very good beer. Much better than your standard domestics.
Not much better than a good Texas chicken fried steak and a bucket of stars.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM

8,399 posts, read 20,778,903 times
There is a reason why the Aussies, Canadians and practically every other county that has real beer jokes that American beer is like having sex on the beach...think about it.

At the Beethoven Männerchor Oktoberfest this evening there was a guy wearing a button that said "Good people drink good beer," a Hunter S. Thompson quote.

Cheers! M2

Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,659,550 times
Real Ale Brewhouse Brown is a good beer. Also Freestyle is not bad. The bottle is lame, but the beer is good. Buried Hactchet from Conroe is good on draught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or