Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times

Advertisements

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
The West

The South

The Inland North

The Northeast

Philadelphia

Boston

North Central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
I went back and "played" with this quiz a bit (that is, checking different boxes and seeing if results would be different), and seems like that the difference between a "Southern" and "Midland" accent (as to which is your primary) pivots on question No. 6 (collar and coller). Anyway, I got a wild hair and am posting my own results. My answers are in bold....

If some of y'all might want to take the time to do the same, it might be kinda fun/interesting to compare a bit!

3. We're going to start with two ordinary words, "cot" and "caught." Do you think those words sound the same or different?
Same
Different
Same, no wait I mean different, well, I don't know...

4. What about "don" and "dawn"?
Same
Different
Same...ish. Maybe a little different.

5. OK, what about "stock" and "stalk"?
Same
Different
Almost, but not quite, the same

6. Now then how do "collar" and "caller" sound?
Same
Different
Almost, but not quite, the same

Break here. THIS one seemed to be the one that by checking "Almost but not quite the same" was a major difference in whether one would register South or Midland. I had to repeat it to myself a few times to really see what I sounded like, and even asked a few friends! LOL. Anyway, I pronounce the latter like "CAW-ler" and the former as " Cahler"

7. Do you think the word "on" rhymes with "dawn" or with "don"?
dawn
don
Well, I don't think don and dawn sound any different in the first place so on would obviously rhyme with both

This was another weird one, since I really don't think it ryhmes that much with either of them. But chose the closest answer I could.

8. Moving on, what do you think about "Mary," "merry," and "marry"?
All 3 sound different
Mary and merry sound the same but marry is different from them
All 3 sound the same

9. Our next word is "horrible." How does that first vowel sound?
It's just like in the word "*****."
It's the same "o" sound as in "hot."
Neither one

10. Now for "pen" and "pin." Don't worry about what others say is correct, just tell us how they come out in an ordinary conversation.
Same
Different
Close. Pen sounds almost, but not quite, like pin.

11. What about "feel" and "fill"?
Same
Different
Well, I think they're different even though they sound very, very similar almost to the point of being the same

12. When you say "about," does the "ou" sound like the "ou" in "loud"?
No
Yes

13. Last question. When you say "bag" does it rhyme with "vague"?
Yes
No

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM

195 posts, read 657,728 times

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
The West

The South

Boston

North Central

The Inland North

Philadelphia

The Northeast

Well I guess according to this quiz i have "The Midland" Accent. However, i took a quiz similar to this on facebook a few months back and it said I have a Western accent. I guess it figures since i'm a military brat from El Paso, Texas! Big Reg

Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Seems to be a pattern here.

The West

The South

Boston

North Central

The Inland North

Philadelphia

The Northeast

Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,138 times
What American accent do you have?Your Result: The South

That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.
The Midland

The Inland North

The Northeast

Philadelphia

The West

North Central

Boston

Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 AM

285 posts, read 677,553 times
Another "Midland" here. Guess that comes from living in Virginia 29 of the last 35 years! Give me about a month back in Texas and I'll sound normal again.

Lori

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
Interesting that Turkeytrot is 'midland' and JackasH is 'south' even tho both are Texans..........that's my observation, too, of the people who are from the two places they live. When I moved back to the TX Panhandle (where Turkeytrot is), after living in ETX (where Jack is) for many years, I was amazed at the difference in the accents. Panhandle people have an accent very similar to New Mexico and Kansas....and they really noticed my ETX accent (which I didn't even know I had!). The settlers in my part of ETX were almost all from Tennessee and today we still have an accent (at least we rural folks do!) that is almost identical to today's Tennessee folks.

Fun quiz....thanks for posting!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
The question that really bugs me is No. 7

Do you think the word "on" rhymes with "dawn" or with "don"?

dawn
don
Well, I don't think don and dawn sound any different in the first place so on would obviously rhyme with both

I think neither should have been a choice. I chose "dawn" since it was the closest of the two contenders (I mistakenly "bolded" having said "Don" in my earlier post, but that was a typo).

But really, I pronounce "on" the same as I do "own". Neither of which really matches don or dawn. Of those two words, the former comes out like "Dahhn" and the latter "Dawwn"...drawled out a bit in both cases...

Did any of the rest of y'all have a problem with this one?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The question that really bugs me is No. 7

Do you think the word "on" rhymes with "dawn" or with "don"?

dawn
don

I think neither should have been a choice. I chose "dawn" since it was the closest of the two contenders (I mistakenly "bolded" having said "Don" in my earlier post, but that was a typo).

But really, I pronounce "on" the same as I do "own". Neither of which really matches don or dawn. Of those two words, the former comes out like "Dahhn" and the latter "Dawwn"...drawled out a bit in both cases...

Did any of the rest of y'all have a problem with this one?
Yes. But I had problems with a few others, too, and there aren't that many questions, LOL!! I too say "on" the same as "own."

I was in Cloudcroft the other day, and a guy came out of the office and handed me a circular for his new business in CC, and we started talking.

I asked him what part of the south he was from (he now lives right outside of CC), since he had quite a pronounced (to my ears) Southern accent....he said TN and FL...........!

LOL!!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:35 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

But really, I pronounce "on" the same as I do "own".
Interesting. I say "on" like don and dawn with a short o sound, but I say "own" with a long o sound.

But I think I have an unusual way of pronouncing words. For example I often see people on the internet confuse then and than. I never do because I pronounce them very differently. Also I have noticed that some people pronounce "the" like da, or thuh, but I always say the with a long e sound. I also say "a" as ay, never uh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas