U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 AM
 
227 posts, read 333,639 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Wow this couldn't be any further from the truth..
Says the guy who lives in Houston and spent 4 years in Waco as a student...

It is 100% true. Although there are notable exceptions, superficiality and hypocrisy are the hallmarks of Waco religion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,222 posts, read 3,961,544 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
This is an old thread so I have no clue why it has been resurrected. The problem at Baylor and in Waco is not faith. The problem is fake faith and hypocrisy. Although there are some outstanding people and organizations in Waco, the problem is that in Waco and especially anyone connected with Baylor, having religion is a status symbol.

This means that there's an incredible amount of superficial faith and faith speak. The shallowness will astound you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Says the guy who lives in Houston and spent 4 years in Waco as a student...

It is 100% true. Although there are notable exceptions, superficiality and hypocrisy are the hallmarks of Waco religion.
Are you talking about Waco now, or Baylor still?? You were talking about Baylor, which I have plenty of experience with. I can tell you most of my friends at school were not very religious, if at all.

Chapel is not something people looked forward to..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 PM
 
227 posts, read 333,639 times
Reputation: 191
I stated both Baylor and Waco but perhaps Baylor didn't emphasize reading comprehension (good natured humor, no malice intended ).

Now you are making me laugh. So you want to talk Baylor students or Baylor as an institution? Let's start with students.

You must be kidding me if you want to imply Baylor students are not motivated to hold themselves out as being religious. I've had more than one person recount stories of Baylor students dressing up for Sunday lunch in the dorms so that people thought they had been to church. And the Waco churches are filled with Baylor students. Whether their Sunday behavior lines up with their Saturday night behavior is a different question. For some, their lives are very consistent but you are dreaming if you don't think there are incentives for students to conform to a certain image.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 01:27 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,222 posts, read 3,961,544 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
I stated both Baylor and Waco but perhaps Baylor didn't emphasize reading comprehension (good natured humor, no malice intended ).

Now you are making me laugh. So you want to talk Baylor students or Baylor as an institution? Let's start with students.

You must be kidding me if you want to imply Baylor students are not motivated to hold themselves out as being religious. I've had more than one person recount stories of Baylor students dressing up for Sunday lunch in the dorms so that people thought they had been to church. And the Waco churches are filled with Baylor students. Whether their Sunday behavior lines up with their Saturday night behavior is a different question. For some, their lives are very consistent but you are dreaming if you don't think there are incentives for students to conform to a certain image.
You've got to be kidding me. You are basing your assumptions on something you've heard from a couple different people? I've lived Baylor. And I can assure you none of my friends went out of their way to try to convince people they attended church on a Sunday, or were holier than thou. They didn't give a ****. But maybe the people you supposably talked to surrounded themselves with rich pretentious snobs? I tend to avoid those types of crowds..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:44 PM
 
227 posts, read 333,639 times
Reputation: 191
Can't argue what it was like when you were a Baylor student 30 years ago. Can tell you how Baylor and Waco have been in more recent years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,222 posts, read 3,961,544 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Can't argue what it was like when you were a Baylor student 30 years ago. Can tell you how Baylor and Waco have been in more recent years.
Lulz.. I'm 25.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 PM
 
227 posts, read 333,639 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lulz.. I'm 25.
Ah I see. Did not realize I was dealing with the voice of such extensive experience
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,222 posts, read 3,961,544 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Ah I see. Did not realize I was dealing with the voice of such extensive experience
considering i have friends who still attend Baylor and was just back there last weekend, yeah.. i have plenty of experience with Baylor. experience you were just getting done saying i lacked due to me "going to Baylor 30 years ago" and being out of touch with current Baylor. and then when i prove you wrong that i am actually still very in touch with the university and student life you brush me off for being "inexperienced". its like no matter what it is with you.. you cant win. HAVE YOU EVER ATTENDED BAYLOR? if the answer is no, then please stop talking about it like you know anything.

im starting to wonder what age these people were that you supposably talked to about Baylor, if you are trying to trash me and my personal experiences because of my age.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 11:25 PM
BCB
 
1,005 posts, read 1,514,059 times
Reputation: 651
As a current student enrolled at Baylor I am completely embarrassed, and hold much skepticism, for those here who claim to be a former Bear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 AM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,222 posts, read 3,961,544 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
As a current student enrolled at Baylor I am completely embarrassed, and hold much skepticism, for those here who claim to be a former Bear.
did explorer claim to be a former Bear or something? i didn't notice..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top