Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM

52,601 posts, read 47,773,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-lad View Post
There are old but nice neighborhoods, and old but nasty ... is this a nice one?
You can go around Fairway near Kell, as some new, but small, neighborhoods are seeing houses under construction west of Fairway between Seymour Highway and Kell. There are also some new homes south of Southwest Pkwy near Kemp and Taft. Last time I was out there, I saw new ones under construction, and they look really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:12 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,222,110 times
Pan Terra.......LOL!! Good advice!!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
so what goes on during the morning of August 23rd? Just curious

Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,222,110 times
Default Hotter Than Hell One Hundred

Here's an article about last year's event....

The Hotter'N Hell Hundred celebrated its 26th Annual event in 2007. The 26th Annual HHH was a huge success. Larger numbers of riders and racers along with our largest Consumer Show topped the weekend along with the largest finish line village in history of the HHH. The Hotter'N Hell Hundred grew out of efforts to find a special way for Wichita Falls to celebrate its centennial in 1982. Roby Christie of the Wichita Falls Bicycle Club proposed a bicycle ride - 100 miles in hundred-degree heat to celebrate 100 years. The original HHH committee promoted the idea as a unique and fitting event to honor the spirit of Texoma and the people that first settled the area. A consulting company from New York City proposed a rocking chair marathon. After lengthy discussion the Centennial Committee agreed with the HHH committee that early settlers were not rocking chair people. Gritty people capable of riding 100 miles in Texoma heat were a more fitting symbol of the tenacity of early settlers. Mark and Jo Alice Davis, now of Weatherford Texas, coined the name, Hotter'N Hell Hundred. The rest is Hotter'N Hell History. Some of the original committee members have moved but Roby and many others remain involved in planning and implementing the event in each of its now 26 years. The committee started with 7 people and is now in excess of 70.

During the first year of HHH, there were 1200 riders. Endurance cycling was relatively new to Texas but 1200 riders celebrated the first year as the largest single day 100 mile ride in the nation. The HHH committee has been a constant pupil in the school of hard knocks. Rest Stops during the first year were operated by members of the Good Sam's RV Club. On board water, toilets and built in shade made these RV land yachts appear to be the perfect rest stop-mobile. The event emptied the water tanks, filed the toilet tanks and wore the small crew of volunteers out. Tired or not, the Good Sam's remained am important part of road support for many years.

The early years of medical support would be a nightmare for current day medical volunteers. There was one medical unit at the finish line. Now days there are MASH units at each rest stop and at the finish. Medical volunteers treat everything from bees embedded in rider's ears, to emu bites, road rash, under hydration, over hydration and hard landings.

The Hotter'N Hell grew geometrically for several years. The Hotter'N Hell Hundred is now the largest single day 100 mile bicycle ride in the nation - and possibly the world.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,774,993 times
If you have to get out for some reason, you just don't want to be in any kind of a hurry. You can get on the website at Hotter'N Hell 100 and check the route maps. It takes quite a while to get 12,000 cyclists through the greater WF area, so grab a lawn chair and a big umbrella, prop up your feet on an ice-chest filled with your favorite beverages, and cheer everyone on.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,604,762 times
You don't want to be outside anyway in August in WF, it is truly hotter 'n hell!! I lived there for several years off and on, had to go out at 10 pm to jogwalk, and that was with a wet towel and water bottle!!

MSU is a very nice campus. I always stop by the Library and Bookstore when I go back for a visit. And some of the faculty still there from years ago. I was student in 80s. The university has made some nice improvements, new buildings, etc. Also some new construction (dorms?) going on across the street by the President's House. Also is a nice sports complex and lake (Sikes Lake). You won't be disappointed. The neighborhood is very beautiful, very old, some very nice homes in the area. When I was a student I lived on Clinton St. (NO LONGER a nice neighborhood). But more recently, I lived way out past Fairway, and enjoyed being able to see the cows, chickens, horses cross the little country road just a few minutes away from my house. Believe it or not, if you look closely you will see camels grazing out in a large field off Hwy 287 (I think)!!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,426 times
We have had several new members request this same information on our forum. You will get honest answers.

Please feel free to join us and ask these questions there too. I think you will like what you see.

[URL="http://www.wichitafallstalk.com"]www.wichitafallstalk.com[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas