Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 AM

285 posts, read 677,819 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest finding a residence-type hotel (like Extended Stay) to live in for a week or two while you get used to the area before renting an apartment. These are less expensive than staying in a regular hotel.

Since you are not used to driving on highways, I'd suggest shipping your car because that is one long drive! I would fly in and rent a car until mine arrived.

Assuming you have contact with your employer, I would ask for advice regarding where people in that company live.

Wishing you a great experience! I was born in Ohio, raised in Georgia, and lived in San Antonio for 1 year in 1967-68 while in high school. I fell so in love with the state that I returned for college at UT-Austin. While there, I married a Texas boy who took me east for a 4 year Navy commitment that turned into 20 with a 15 year follow on career. I have counted the days until we could return to Texas.

I hope you will find the same love for the state and the best people on earth as I have! Let us know what you decide.

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza08 View Post
So do you have dates for this oil show? I don't want to get caught with my pants down when I come to visit. What about Big Red? My daughter got hooked on that when we lived in San Antonio!
I used to think that the only place Big Red existed was in my grandfather's refrigerator. I know that a lot of people love it, but I've never understood the appeal of the most un-natural flavor and color combination imagineable. For anyone who doesn't know, Big Red is (I think) a red licqourice soda. If you spill it on your shirt, that red stain will never come out and your skin will be dyed red for days anywhere it touches you.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Look... make this easy on yourself... sell your stuff there, get here to Texas, buy a double-wide, and forget the car.. buy a horse.. cheaper to operate.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
So do you have dates for this oil show? I don't want to get caught with my pants down when I come to visit. What about Big Red? My daughter got hooked on that when we lived in San Antonio!
October 21st - 23rd

Permian Basin Oil Show

Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
October 21st - 23rd

Permian Basin Oil Show
Open to the general public? Looks interesting.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Open to the general public? Looks interesting.
I don't think so, seems like it is industry only now.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 PM

45 posts, read 139,675 times
Thanks for the dates Lucidus, I agree Delta Planter, looks interesting. But alas, I'm not in oil (YET) so I suppose I'm just an outsider....

So jimbo you won't believe, but I can still buy my daughter Big Red up here in yankee land (Dayton) at the local Meijer store (it's like your heavenly H-E-B).

Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Thanks for the dates Lucidus, I agree Delta Planter, looks interesting. But alas, I'm not in oil (YET) so I suppose I'm just an outsider....

So jimbo you won't believe, but I can still buy my daughter Big Red up here in yankee land (Dayton) at the local Meijer store (it's like your heavenly H-E-B).
I just sent the contact an email, asking. I'll let y'all know.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,731 times
My company has 3 FT openings this week in Midland so, as I live in a RV, I called a nice RV park near our office. Not only are they full, but also have 45 people on a waiting list for an open space. The lady said that there's a huge shortage in the area's housing market due to the oil boom. Even the motels are full. Before you move that far you might want to get a place to live locked in. And you should know before you come that this isn't a scenic area if that matters to you. There are some nice neighborhoods but most of the area is about oil and I'm not exaggerating how rough it can look. But people are pretty friendly and if you are here to make money then move on it's ok. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 AM

238 posts, read 767,055 times
How? How about now? Now would be good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas