Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 AM

14 posts, read 54,678 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've never lived outside of nyc before and there's a possibility I might have to live in the Midland/Odessa area for at least a few years. I never moved before and I never traveled outside of NY state.

How do I make a realistic move? ( in terms of moving my belongings, getting a car, etc etc. I absolutely don't know anything. ) Let's not focus on the costs at the moment.

Much thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Ok, get ready for a major culture shock.

First, there are a multitude of cross-country movers than can help you with the logistics of your move. A google search should yield pages of results. Many will pack, ship and unload.

You will need an apartment in Midland. The good news is that the best apartment in Midland will cost less than renting the utility closet at that apartment on the West end of Chambers street. The bad news is that the roughnecks can afford to live there as well and may give you a hard time for being from NYC.

You will need a car. You may want to think about leasing rather than buying since you will be in Texas for a limited period. Cars are available at dealerships for money. Since gas is expensive, trucks and SUV's are cheap while Toyota Prius's are expensive. Whichever vehicle you buy, don't forget to put gas in it every so often. Gasoline is available at "filling stations" for money. If you are unsure where to put the gas, explain to the clerk that you are from NY and require assistance. He or she will be happy to help and take pictures.

A word to the wise: Northeastern ball-busting and Southern hospitality don't mix.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
That is one way to drive in the concept of culture shock.
All I can say is Wow, that kind of move boggles even my mind.
Jimbo pointed out everything you need, albeit in an original way...and welcome to Texas.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Ok, get ready for a major culture shock.
ROTF, LMAO! Oh, man, a great post, and so true to the point.

OP? Take it all with a grain of salt, don't pith off the locals, think of it as an adventure, you will do fine. You'll have stories for your grands, and your friends back home, for sure!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,501 times
"how do you move from nyc to odessa/midland?"

1) Hire a logistics company to complete your move
2) Go to all your favorite places in NYC one last time
3) Open your mind. This is the most important step.
4) Get an apartment in Midland and rent a car until you buy one.
5) Buy a car.
6) At this point, you will be completely shocked. No looking back now. Go get some good BBQ. Welcome to Texas.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 54,678 times
I have some more questions:

1) do I find a place to rent before or after I move there? what do you think of finding an apartment online and moving there right away without physically seeing the place beforehand?

2) I've had a driver's license for more than 10 years but I'm used to driving only in local neighborhoods. I know I'm not good at parallel parking. As for driving on freeways, I don't know, as I haven't driven long distances in a while. Would a person of my driving skills get around in Midland/Odessa fairly comfortably? By any chance, is it realistic for me to drive all the way to Texas?

3) as someone here mentioned, there are supposedly roughnecks living here. Are these people comparable to dwellers in Harlem and Flatbush of NYC? Is there anything or any place I should avoid doing or watch out for?

4) during the broad daylights and the early evenings, are there generally people walking and standing out on the streets ? I'm asking because I'm a walker myself and I prefer not to drive.

5) what type of people live there, and why?

6) I understand the disparity in culture. But my life will ONLY involve working all day, playing video games when at home and not working, and going to the gas station, auto mechanic, barber,pizza parlor, malls, supermarkets, laundromats, and that's it. I don't intend to have fun outside and I'm used to being alone. Will I still have a difficult time in this region?

7) are there accents here? if so, what do they sound like?

8) from what I'm asking and how I sound, do I seem prepared to move and have a life down there?

I know these are a lot of questions but I don't know anyone in Texas and so I would highly appreciate some feedback and suggestions.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecore View Post
I have some more questions:

1) do I find a place to rent before or after I move there? what do you think of finding an apartment online and moving there right away without physically seeing the place beforehand?
I think it would be a good idea to try to find a place before you move. You may want to contact a realtor in Midland to help you. I would be a little iffy about signing a lease that I or my representative had not laid eyes on.

Quote:
2) I've had a driver's license for more than 10 years but I'm used to driving only in local neighborhoods. I know I'm not good at parallel parking. As for driving on freeways, I don't know, as I haven't driven long distances in a while. Would a person of my driving skills get around in Midland/Odessa fairly comfortably? By any chance, is it realistic for me to drive all the way to Texas?
I moved in a U-Haul from NYC to Austin a number of years ago. It's do-able, but if you aren't an experienced highway driver or haven't driven big, clunky cars it's probably not something I would recommend.

Quote:
3) as someone here mentioned, there are supposedly roughnecks living here. Are these people comparable to dwellers in Harlem and Flatbush of NYC? Is there anything or any place I should avoid doing or watch out for?
Roughnecks are the guys who work on drilling rigs. They tend to be a surly bunch but they are hard working, red-blooded guys for the most part. If you aren't used to the whole blue-collar Texas tough guy culture they can seem a bit intimidating. I've been to Midland several times, but I'm no expert on what parts of town to avoid. Generally, if you feel uncomfortable, there's probably a good reason.

Quote:
4) during the broad daylights and the early evenings, are there generally people walking and standing out on the streets ? I'm asking because I'm a walker myself and I prefer not to drive.
NYC is a walking place because there is no sprawl. Everything is within a few blocks of everything else. Texas isn't like that. There are certainly people who walk, but it's for exercise and not for everyday transport. The other thing about Texas: It's hot here. Really hot. You will quickly learn to appreciate your air conditioner.

Quote:
5) what type of people live there, and why?
Midland / Oddessa is populated by small town people. I know its difficult to understand why people wouldn't want to live in NY, but most of the folks in Midland wouldn't live there for all the tea in China. Small towns have their upsides.

Quote:
6) I understand the disparity in culture. But my life will ONLY involve working all day, playing video games when at home and not working, and going to the gas station, auto mechanic, barber,pizza parlor, malls, supermarkets, laundromats, and that's it. I don't intend to have fun outside and I'm used to being alone. Will I still have a difficult time in this region?
I don't think you'll have difficulty at all. It's going to be a shock at first, but make sure you meet some Texas girls while your here.

Quote:
7) are there accents here? if so, what do they sound like?
Watch an episode or two of "King of the Hill." It will give you a good idea. The accents will span from drawly to unintelligible.

Quote:
8) from what I'm asking and how I sound, do I seem prepared to move and have a life down there?
No. But you'll catch on. Just make sure you aren't deciding to segregate yourself and be miserable while you're here.

Just kidding about the gas tank.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:48 PM

1) Moving sight unseen is always a gamble. It could potentially pay off, but, personally, I would want to spend a few days in the area checking out some apartments before I committed to anything.

2) You will find less parallel parking in Texas than you had to encounter in NYC. Driving from NYC to Texas...I don't know. You know your abilities better than I do.

3) Roughnecks are NOT comparable to Harlem dwellers. While they are unskilled workers, they are usually pretty good people. That being said, there are people in all areas that are up to no good. It's safe to say that you won't need as much "street smarts" in Midland than you needed in NYC, but don't turn your brain off. And...DO NOT MAKE FUN OF ROUGHNECKS FOR WHAT MAY SEEM TO BE "HICK" TO YOU.

4) Typically, people drive. That's just the culture. Things are spread out, the sidewalks tend to not cater to a walking culture (ironically), and the heat is intense and lasts a long time.

5) Midland/Odessa is pretty reliant on the oil business. The people there tend to range from white-collar workers to blue-collar "roughnecks."

6) I don't think that you will have a difficult time. You're not going to find great pizza. You will find great BBQ, great Tex-Mex, etc. There aren't many malls in that region (I don't believe), so get ready for that.

7) The West Texas accent sounds like a toned-down Southern accent.

8) I think that you can make the move. Remember to keep an open mind...and "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." If there is one thing that turns Texans from being welcoming into being rude, it's when outsiders complain because Texas isn't like where they came from.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Again, welcome to Texas!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
make sure you meet some Texas girls while your here.
That might be the best piece of advice I've ever seen written on this board. There ain't nothin' like a good Texas woman.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
I believe that when the poster mentioned "roughnecks", he was referring to this:

A roughneck is a slang term for an unskilled or slightly skilled labourer in a number off industries. In particular, it is the official name of a semi-skilled role on a North American oil rig.

How would a person from NYC know that term? Actually and after living in Texas for 30 years, I wouldn't have known it either were my son not in the oil business. The area is full of them.

They're not like the roughnecks of which you're referring and when he mentioned "giving you a hard time", I believe he means they won't lay off the Yankee thing. You can handle it; I have for 30 years and I'm from CA. Hee Haw!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas