Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:35 PM

714 posts, read 2,920,412 times

Advertisements

We just got back Saturday night from a trip to the Big Bend area. If you are from Texas, and have never been there - you need to go. It was a seven day adventure, but the highlights were;

Strawn, chicken fried steak and calf fries at Mary’s Café,
San Angelo, Fort Concho
Sonora, Caverns of Sonora
Alpine, Museum of the Big Bend, Big Bend Saddlery, and all the friendly people.
Marfa, Marfa Light, Paisano Hotel, Jett Grill
Marathon, Gage Hotel restaurant
Fort Davis, McDonalds Observatory, and 65 degree weather.
Study Butte, The Study Butte Mall
Terlingua, Ghost Town, nice people.
Lajitas, the resort hotel, but we were told that the mayor Clay Henry was dead! No beer drinking with a goat!
National Park, Santa Elena Cavern, Basin, the Window, deer, javelina, Boquillas Canyon.
Odessa, Meteor Crater

It has been 13-14 years since I have been in the area, and I missed it. I would love to retire in Alpine, it is cooler and the scenery is fantastic!

I will try to post pictures later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 PM

283 posts, read 1,277,900 times
Quote:
the mayor Clay Henry was dead!
So sorry to hear about Clay Henry but even a goat's liver can only stand so much alcohol. Clay lived a pretty good life though some people may think that was cruel rather than amusing.

I guess there's no chance the "ferry" service has returned to Boquillas del Carmen or did you notice? Last time I was down there the Buzzard's Roost "B & B" was open for business and all was OK there. Then, after 911, that unauthorized river crossing was closed. Those Mexicans in Boquillas depended mostly on tourist dollars so may have mostly moved on. Time for another visit down that way after the weather cools down some. That's beautiful country.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM

52,581 posts, read 47,727,954 times
Default Picturesque Texas

Glad you had fun, CBN. I can't wait to see the photos from there. A few years ago, I took pictures from the parking area at McDonald Observatory. The surrounding valleys below are some of the most picturesque I've ever seen in this state, and it made for some colorful and daring picture-taking. There were other mountains and peaks in the distance. And that area at the top is very quiet. I mean, you can't hear anything -- no birds, no crickets, no insects, nothing. And this was in the middle of the day -- I did not go at night. Hopefully, if I find the negatives from that trip, I'll try to get them on a disk so I can transfer them and hopefully get them on this site, as I've never had my own pics posted on City-Data and didn't know how. But I'll tell you this about the observatory and everywhere else you've gone: It is worth going to and it's unforgettable!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:48 PM

Eastender67,

The ferry system in Boquillas is closed since 2002. It has hurt this area of the border. I am a person who believes in controlled borders, but this has hurt the sales of essential supplies to the Mexicans across the river. The stores in Boquillas, Castolon, etc, are the closest stores to them, and they have to travel many miles to get groceries. (Not trying to be political)

Here are some pictures from the Basin area of the National Park. Casa Grande.
Attached Thumbnails
My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4900-casa.jpg  

Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 PM

The Window
Attached Thumbnails
My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4915-window.jpg  

Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 PM

Kosmic Kowgirl

La Kiva - a very funky restaurant

Part of the Terlingua Ghostown

Lajitas Resort

Candillaria Cafe at the resort

(More later)
Attached Thumbnails
My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4948-kosmic.jpg   My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4945-la-kiva.jpg   My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4866-terl-ghost.jpg   My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4767-lajitas.jpg   My Trip to the Big Bend Area-res-100_4761-cand-cafe.jpg  

Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,132,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
We just got back Saturday night from a trip to the Big Bend area. If you are from Texas, and have never been there - you need to go. It was a seven day adventure, but the highlights were;

Strawn, chicken fried steak and calf fries at Mary’s Café,
San Angelo, Fort Concho
Sonora, Caverns of Sonora
Alpine, Museum of the Big Bend, Big Bend Saddlery, and all the friendly people.
Marfa, Marfa Light, Paisano Hotel, Jett Grill
Marathon, Gage Hotel restaurant
Fort Davis, McDonalds Observatory, and 65 degree weather.
Study Butte, The Study Butte Mall
Terlingua, Ghost Town, nice people.
Lajitas, the resort hotel, but we were told that the mayor Clay Henry was dead! No beer drinking with a goat!
National Park, Santa Elena Cavern, Basin, the Window, deer, javelina, Boquillas Canyon.
Odessa, Meteor Crater

It has been 13-14 years since I have been in the area, and I missed it. I would love to retire in Alpine, it is cooler and the scenery is fantastic!

I will try to post pictures later.
You just visited my favorite part of the state! I need to get out there. Unfortunately, Mary's in Strawn is not on my way since I am west of there, but it might be worth a few extra hours. Can't wait to see all of the pictures. It will be sad not to be able to take a boat to Boquillas the next time I go.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,329,912 times
great pics. kosmic kowgirl is funky! what exactly is it? where is it?
i have never been to the Big Bend area, even though I have lived in Texas a good majority of my life. closest i have been is just driving thru El Paso, and Van Horn.
always wanted to see Alpine and Marfa. does Alpine still have REATA restaurant? it used to, at least, owned by the same guy who owns REATA in cowtown (Ft Worth)...aah their jalapeno cheese soup and focaccio bread is to die for, along with their taco dessert.

and....coming back up Nawth...chicken fried steak at Mary's in Strawn...ah yes...........spent alot of time making day trips there, and to the towns of COOL, MINGUS etc.........when i lived in Young/Jack counties area...near Possum Kingdom Lake.........Gawd, there is so much greatness to Texas, how could one ever get bored?

Last edited by NOTAM; 07-22-2008 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 PM

bellestaroftexas,

Kosmic Kowgirl is a Cafe, no dine in, they do have picnic tables. It is in Terlingua. Never saw it open on the trip, but this is not the busy season, several places were closed or had reduced hours. Reatta is in Alpine, and I wanted to go but I got overridded by the females to go to "Bread and Breakfast," a tea room. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

JamesAbilene,

I want to go again soon, perhaps by myself, or guy friends. It is a wonderful area that one can never spend enough time in.

------------------------------------------

When we were in the Basin, I looked around the wonderful scenary and knew that there is a God (didn't need any more proof) and that Texas is the greatest state in the USA (didn't need any more proof of that either).

Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,863,927 times
We were in Angelo for 15 years & used to travel out that way on a regular basis.

As Bob Hope said, Thanks for the Memories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas