Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Made me homesick thinking of it! Wish I was there now, and out of this heat, at least the desert cools off quickly at night! It's 8:55 here sun is down and 99 degrees with 1000000 percent humidity, and tender box dry. Watch out for the flooding up there Cathy.
Pipeweld
I can just imagine how hot it is..... :-(

Hopefully I'll get to meet y'all the next time at Timberon!! Alamo isn't bad now, and the rain was so very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
I like it when Don Edwards sings this song much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
So many choices:

Texas River Song - Lyle Lovett

We crossed the wild Pecos
We forded the Nueces
We swum the Guadalupe
And we followed the Brazos
Red River runs rusty
The Wichita clear
But down by the Brazos
I courted my dear

Singing li, li, li, le, le, le
Lend me your hand
Li, li, li, le, le, le
Lend me your hand
Li, li, li, le, le, le
Lend me your hand
There's many a river
That waters the land

Now the fair Angelina
Runs glossy and gliding
the crooked Colorado
Runs weaving and winding
The slow San Antonio
Courses and plains
But I never will walk
By the Brazos again

She kissed me and she hugged me
And she called me her dandy
The Trinity's muddy
But the Brazos quick sandy
She kissed me and she hugged me
And she called me her own
But down by the Brazos
She left me alone

Now the girls of Little River
They're plump and they're pretty
The Sabine and the Sulphur
Hold beauties a'many
The banks of the Neches
There are girls by the score
But down by the Brazos
I'll wander no more

Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
I personally love the Brazos "The arms of god" The riverwalk at Downtown Waco is great, and Fort Bend County near sienna plantation and all the old slave lands up and down the brazos at one time had the largest black population in the state, amazing about that Texas History and most people dont know.
The San Marcos River is second because its a natural spring and home of the SM salamander and people have been on that river from over 20,000 years ago courtesy of Texas State University Antropology Dept.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
I personally love the Brazos "The arms of god" The riverwalk at Downtown Waco is great, and Fort Bend County near sienna plantation and all the old slave lands up and down the brazos at one time had the largest black population in the state, amazing about that Texas History and most people dont know.
The San Marcos River is second because its a natural spring and home of the SM salamander and people have been on that river from over 20,000 years ago courtesy of Texas State University Antropology Dept.
All good points, txstate. I never knew San Marcos had a natural spring there. I've got to check that out.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
It's too hard for me to pick one river out as my favorite. There are too many with things I love about them. The cold water of the San Marcos, the beauty of the Frio, the list could go on and on. I've had more fun than a barrel of monkeys fishing on the Brazos when the sand bass are running and enjoyed the heck out of all the catfish that have come out of that river. Now those catfish have a good taste! We've had many a fishing trip to the good ole Brazos which included canoeing and swimming...a fun river. Wow! It's hard to single out one river in particular.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM

Talking If They Don't Stink Too Much, They Qualify

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
It's too hard for me to pick one river out as my favorite. There are too many with things I love about them. The cold water of the San Marcos, the beauty of the Frio, the list could go on and on. I've had more fun than a barrel of monkeys fishing on the Brazos when the sand bass are running and enjoyed the heck out of all the catfish that have come out of that river. Now those catfish have a good taste! We've had many a fishing trip to the good ole Brazos which included canoeing and swimming...a fun river. Wow! It's hard to single out one river in particular.
Well, for me, there are some high favorites, some in the middle ground, and a few least favorites. So, in essence, it's not a favorite kid!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Great West Texas Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
The Pecos.

Why? Well because...

http://carlsbadconcerts.com/images/pecos.jpg (broken link)

I've got to hand it to you, Muhnay. It's the best "well, because" that I've ever seen. You don't even need words to describe the Pecos River. Just let these photos do it for us. Great views. And a great history, indeed.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times

Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
^^^ You've got to love the Llano. If anyone hasn't made the drive from Austin to Llano on hwy 71, you don't know what you're missing. Shoot, make the run to Brady. The hill country starts to end as you move head further northwest to Brady, but just outside Llano, there are some beautiful hills.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
The Pecos.

Why? Well because...HISTORY.
Magnificent picture of Pecos Highbridge......I wish I could find my old pictures when the river was a lot higher. I just hate to see the water levels going down in both the Pecos and the Devil's...but they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas