Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM

52,585 posts, read 47,743,181 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I'm baaaaaaaack. I've had to spend some time refreshing myself and trying to rummage up new ideas to share with you and only you, the City-Data faithful. Why? Because I really like you.

So, we've got to get the computer campfire blazing hot once again and I need extra marshmallows. You can provide the coat hangars. And I'd also like for the location of our dearly beloved computer campfire to be somewhere near your favorite river. That'll be a great segue into my latest thread venture. Let's you and I discuss what your favorite Texas river is, and why it is. Now, I'll preface by saying that I don't exactly jump into a river and swim in it, considering the Trinity River is not far from where I live. And it may not be your favorite river or mine. Fortunately, in Texas, we have lots of rivers, many with a great history and lore to it. We frequently talk about the Guadalupe River constantly because many people enjoy rafting and tubing on it. Many rivers in our state are very scenic and picturesque. Others are mysterious.

Now, the eternal question of the day: What's your favorite river in the state of Texas?? Let's have fun with this and it's your turn to tell everyone, and you might even want to share a story or two about that river if you've got any to share. Also, too, if you have any pics of these rivers that you can show us here, bring 'em. We'd love to take a look. Your favorite Texas river. Ready, set, let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,894,322 times
The Pecos.

Why? Well because...

http://carlsbadconcerts.com/images/pecos.jpg (broken link)

http://www.bluechameleon.org/Field%2...%206-14-04.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47534662@N00/563632863/ (broken link)

http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldw...trickBorn.html

HISTORY.

Last edited by Muhnay; 07-23-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
My favorite Texas river is the Devil's River....because the best times of my childhood were spent there. We had the lease from the time I was born (1951) until I was 16 years old as a sophomore in high school. We would leave Ozona, and drive 60 miles south. We'd stop in Juno at the old store, and get an ice-cold coke out of the old red machine...where you moved it from its steel rack to the opening, and lifted it out. The turn-off was somewhere between Comstock and Del Rio on the left.

Every year, when school was out, we'd pick up our report cards, run home...and be off to the river for 10 days.

Fishing for bass, trotlining for big bullhead/yellow catfish, tightlining at night at the slough.....or at one of the many water holes (and each had its own name) throughout the lease. There was an old 1906 ranch house on the lease with a huge swamp cooler in the bedroom. Swimming was done at the "Househole" which had rapids at one end. I learned to fish and swim there...and I treasure my many happy memories there, because that is all I have left of the Devil's River. Pardon the sappiness, LOL!!

You really cannot go home again. Our old lease is no longer as it once was (41 years does bring changes).....we drove to our old turnoff last year, and I was shocked. The old Juno store is now nothing but an old lean-to...I had to be shown where the old gate to the turnoff was....and the old rancher from whom we leased is long dead. His heirs have broken the place up, and sold parcels off.

One in particular was on the market at one time with riverfront....for two million dollars.

Had I had the money...I would have bought it!

The Devils River - Water - Joe Nick Patoski

I like the Pecos, too. It forms the entire western boundary of my home county, but it is brackish water, not crystal clear like the Devil's back in the day.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-23-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM

160 posts, read 636,325 times
The Pecos.

Why? Because it was the first Texas river I crossed upon re-entry into the land of greatness. The fact that it was higher than I ever saw it, and it looked more beautiful this past spring than I have ever seen it only adds to my affection for it.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM

958 posts, read 2,126,624 times
The Brazos River where it runs through Waco. I liked walking across the Waco Suspension Bridge soaking up the history of the bridge and the city.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM

808 posts, read 3,636,033 times
The Frio!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM

My thing is, I've got a tie for first place. I'd have to say the Brazos, Rio Grande, Guadalupe, and Pedernales rivers have a special place in my life and my experiences with this great state. With the Brazos, you'd be amazed at the places it traverses through, with history and fabulous scenery. It goes from near Houston to Washington-on-the Brazos to Waco to Glen Rose and one branch stretches to almost forty miles outside of Lubbock.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,333,896 times
Brazos..but that's cuz it's the only river i have spent time on...since moving to Central Texas, i havent gotten to the Comal or Guadalupe or Perdenales or Frio etc

Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 PM

283 posts, read 1,278,185 times
Sabine. or the Sabine before Toledo Bend Reservoir was finished. Maybe now, below the dam and down to the Gulf, it's still the same as in the past but Toledo Bend Reservoir was both good and bad. Before (Toledo Bend) we used to camp alongside the river on some of those white sandbars and shoot the bull late into the night. And, we'd set out trot lines and make a feeble attempt to catch some catfish but the canned beans, sardines, Vienna sausage and crackers were usually our supper. Didn't matter though because we'd have a night on the river, under the stars to look forward to and then go back home and tell tales of the "cougars" yelling during the night and all those big catfish that got away. Something about those deep hardwood forests of East Texas that bring peace to my mind. I think maybe the Neches and Angelina Rivers are similar to the Sabine but so many people have their eyes on those places to build even more dams. Folks, don't let them dam your river.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Sabine. or the Sabine before Toledo Bend Reservoir was finished. Maybe now, below the dam and down to the Gulf, it's still the same as in the past but Toledo Bend Reservoir was both good and bad. Before (Toledo Bend) we used to camp alongside the river on some of those white sandbars and shoot the bull late into the night. And, we'd set out trot lines and make a feeble attempt to catch some catfish but the canned beans, sardines, Vienna sausage and crackers were usually our supper. Didn't matter though because we'd have a night on the river, under the stars to look forward to and then go back home and tell tales of the "cougars" yelling during the night and all those big catfish that got away. Something about those deep hardwood forests of East Texas that bring peace to my mind. I think maybe the Neches and Angelina Rivers are similar to the Sabine but so many people have their eyes on those places to build even more dams. Folks, don't let them dam your river.
Good post. I'll bet the fishing is still really great on the Sabine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas