Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation. I'm approaching my senior year in college, and for one, I am tired as hell being stuck in a anti-progressive-yet-liberal state infested with rude, cutthroat, arrogant, materialistic, snobbish nouveau riche, anti Christian (despite claiming to be part of a "Christian Denomination"), covert racist, Northeast Yankees. And as far as what I've heard about the major cities in Texas, they don't seem too bad on paper. But here's what I'm looking for in a city:

-Lots of young people in their early twenties and are looking to meet new people (and not just stick to high school or college cliques)
-Laid-back and welcoming attitudes and atmosphere when it comes to the residents
-Welcomed integration of educated, non-stereotypical blacks into the majority
-A good and growing economy that's expected to (at least steadily) increase in the foreseeable future
-A socially progressive area (despite if they're Democrats or Republicans). In the 21 years I've been here, I've learned that all Democrats aren't open-minded and all Republicans aren't close-minded.

I would put a weather and traffic as concerns, but from the things I've faced, as long as I can find a place where I can establish a good social life and increase my quality of living, I can deal with the traffic and humidity. I know things about Dallas, Houston, and Austin to make them the top three considerations, but notify me if there is something I need to know before I consider these cities as future homes or if there are other cities that would be good fits for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM

90 posts, read 472,039 times
My initial thought to your post is that you described Austin... the other two, not so much.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I disagree. My first thought was Houston, my 2nd, Austin. But in reality all 3 could fit well. Houston and Dallas are much bigger in size and more diverse than Austin is. Not that Austin doesn't have any racial diversity, but I think it ties into the sizes of the cities.

From what you post, my order of choice would be Houston, Austin, and then Dallas.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 AM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
Welcome to Texas, anyway, but if you're trying to find something perfect, good luck with all that!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM

90 posts, read 472,039 times
Based on the criteria given, I will stand with Austin. I can not believe there are more open minded people, that accept people for who they are, in Houston vs Austin. Even given the population difference. Austins populace is unique in that way. It also attracts like minded individuals.

We do agree that Dallas would rank as the third choice.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Yeah Austin, but they are CLIQUES like in Austin. I would also suggest Galveston.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I agree with caendaniels. You pretty much described Austin.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 PM

378 posts, read 337,416 times
Having grew up in Houston, I think it would fit your criteria, followed closely by Austin. My husband, who have spent a decent amount of time in Houston and who lived in Austin for a few years, suggest Austin, followed closely by Houston. We both agree that Dallas lags behind by a big distance at third.

Both of our perspectives are those of non-stereotypical, educated blacks who are currently living in the Dallas area.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,171 times
I would say Houston.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Austin, even as liberal or libertarian as it is, still has the East vs. West of 35 thing still going on. If you want the most diversity in Austin, you will find that more so East of 35 than west. This is why I say Houston first before Austin. Houston isn't quite divvied up that neatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: