Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,779,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powervoc View Post
I apologize for posting the above in the wrong thread. It seemed as though the discussion was mainly moving to Houston and Dallas. I don't have a lot of experience with Austin or San Antonio.

Not to get into an argument with some of the more infantile posters I've read in this thread, but I find a few of the Dallas boosters a bit comical. It's as if they are ignoring logic. I find that difficult and don't understand why anyone would boast about things that they obviously know very little about. To argue about who's "art" is better, which is subjective in the first place, is a little preposterous. It shows a lack of knowledge and makes one a buffoon.

If you love Dallas, that's great! I couldn't care less. Just don't act like your nine and nothing can compare to your Daddy. It's ludicrous and hurts what could be an informative forum. It also hurts your credibility.
To be fair, there are infantile posters from both Dallas & Houston. To see it as thought they're all from a certain city simply shows your own inclination out of them both.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:06 PM

25 posts, read 24,000 times
I would suggest you read your own highlights and you might notice that I didn't brand Dallas posters alone. At the end of the highlight I did however brand a couple of them in particular who seem hell bent on acting like an adolescents instead of having a constructive conversation.

I have not read this entire thread as it would take a year to do so, and can only comment on what I've heard to this point. I'll not argue what is pointless.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The art thing was just for fun.....Until Texas Tallest Got Offended because I said Dallas won...

I don't understand How Dallas is not real because its clean......

Its like people give dallas half ass credit on stuff and then discredit the credit they just gave...ex:

Dallas is a cleaner city but its sterile and not real....WTF
I never got offended, I just can't believe you honestly believe Dallas has a better art scene. Like Pov said, art is subjective, but it's hard to deny the sheer power of the MFAH and the Menil. Dallas has nothing on those..

Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I never got offended, I just can't believe you honestly believe Dallas has a better art scene. Like Pov said, art is subjective, but it's hard to deny the sheer power of the MFAH and the Menil. Dallas has nothing on those..
Well the article said That Dallas And Houston Go head to Head with the Arts....It didnt say nothing in Dallas matches MFAH and the Menil...You just want people to believe that.....TO ME...Dallas won.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 PM

From yelp:

Quote:
104 friends
183 reviews
3/1/2012 Andrew "BIGABIGD's Jewish-Cajun Fusion" G. says:
I lived in Dallas for 25 years and I've lived in Houston for the last 2, so I think I may be able to offer a somewhat unbiased view of both cities.
I will break this up into a few sections: ambiance/feel, traffic/getting around, stuff to do, food and restaurants, .

Ambiance/feel - I like the feel of Dallas. Dallas has a plethora of different cities, neighborhoods, areas, or whatever you wish to name them. Downtown, McKinney Ave/uptown, Lakewood, N. Dallas, all the suburbs, most of which are nice are all distinct areas with their own charm, or maybe lack thereof. In addition, Dallas has Ft. Worth, and for you Ft. Worth people, no offense intended. Ft. Worth is another fabulous city that is so close to Dallas and has so much to offer that it rivals Dallas in things to do, places to see, etc. Houston to me is just one big, giant city. Vast, hard to get around, and to me, lacking in all of the "cool" areas that Dallas has to offer. Sure, it has a few, the Heights, Washington Ave., Montrose. But nothing close to what Dallas has in diversity.

Traffic/getting around - While Houston has done a good job with their infrastructure, especially all of the loops like the beltway and the 610, navigating them is much more arduous than navigating the Dallas highways. And the sheer size of Houston is daunting and sometimes scary.To go from Conroe to West Houston can be a harrowing experience. And get on the Beltway and be prepared for an onslaught of $1.50 tolls, that can go beyond $10 easily for a trip. IN comparison, Dallas is smaller, easier to get around, and to go from N. Dallas to Ft. Worth is not (usually) an unpleasant experience. The secondary or main roads have the same comparison. Houston does not have those lovely boulevards formed into a grid like Dallas. Take a trip down Westheimer for 5-10 miles and compare it to driving down Forest Lane or Walnut Hill.

Stuff to Do - Lots in both cities. Depends what you're into. And I am not going to start a debate on the Arts. Thats a whole other topic. I like the parks in Dallas better, and the many lakes with easy access. If you're into biking, Dallas kills Houston in this area. You are risking your life riding a bike on the streets of Houston, unless you restrict your ride to a neighborhood or two. In Dallas, I've biked all of Irving, Las Colinas, N Dallas without incident. And my big pleasure of mountain biking is almost non-existent in Houston due to the topography. Grapevine Lake, Cedar Hill, and other trails are fabulous.

Food/restaurants - Another area of a potential hot debate. Dallas excels in BBQ, steaks and Tex-Mex. It is weak in Italian, (although some great pizza places have opened lately), and in many ethnic cuisines like Chinese and Vietnamese, although there are many good Thai places. Houston excels in the variety of ethnic cuisines, especially regional chinese (huge chinatown) but even the locals will tell you that Houston BBQ sucks and so does the quality of Italian cuisine.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 PM

From Yelp:
Quote:
Adri A. says:
Im 26 yrs old and Im from Houston .born and raised there and have been living in Dallas for 2 years now .. I like Dallas because of the patio weather and all the spring festivals such as the dallas food wine festival,taste of addison , savor dallas..and live music on patios etc is something I didnt really get a chance to experience at home(humidity..no one wats to sit outside!) . I will always want to move home but I will say that Dallas is a cleaner and nicer city imho . I was told that I would get snobbed like crazy in Dallas when I moved here by friends at home... I can honestly say that people here dont have a chip on their shoulder and stare alot less than when I go to a nice restaurant in Houston in the "cool " areas . I experienced my fair share of that snootiness MORE going to nice Houston restaurants (Im hispanic and my hubby is Indian and we both look under 20 so go figure).. I like the diversity of Dallas and the areas to hang out to me are better but everyone has their own opinion. If you are a foodie .. I think Dallas is a cooler pick in that area . sorry for the bad writing but Im writing this fast.. Hope u pick the right one for you ;-)

Flag as inappropriate
And Another from Yelp:
Quote:
Christy "The Big Deal" D. says:
Joel, I'm from Houston, but have visited Dallas a bunch. First of all, I don't notice any pollution problems in Houston. Maybe the smog has gotten to my brain? But that's a non-issue to me.

Traffic is bad, but I think it's bad in both places. Plus there are some lower traffic areas of Houston. Best case scenario wherever you pick...live where you drive to work against the traffic.

I think one big plus for Houston is the food...VERY diverse and very good. Dallas has really good places and variety as well, but I think Houston has a lot more in terms of the amount of restaurants and a bit more variety of cuisine.

I think Dallas gets a tad bit cooler weather, and yes the humidity is worse in Houston.

But your question of job market...I think Houston has most places beat, not even just compared to Dallas.

Night life, I prefer the Dallas/Ft. Worth downtown areas to Houston's. I think there's a decent scene in both places when I've gone out, but I am not as much into nightlife, so you may not care for my opinion.

Overall, I think they're both fine for big cities. The bottom line like others have said is picking the right part of town to live in and you'll be good. There aren't muggings wherever you go in Houston, like some people insinuate. :P I've had my car broken into one time, and that's when I left it parked overnight on a shady street in a bad area of town.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 PM

I posted those reviews because I wanted too.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well the article said That Dallas And Houston Go head to Head with the Arts....It didnt say nothing in Dallas matches MFAH and the Menil...You just want people to believe that.....TO ME...Dallas won.
well then boi.. tell me what in Dallas matches the MFAH or the Menil? not trying to start a pissing contest but im genuinely curious. has Houston ever won in anything according to you?

the article was more so pointing out some of the fine arts in each of these two under appreciated art cities. it just happened to compare a few things, but didnt really present the full picture.

like for instance,
DMA has over 22,000 works of art.
MFAH has over 65,000 works of art.

there really is no comparison to the Menil in Dallas, so we go outside the city to a different part of the North Texas region, to the Kimbell Art Museum, which has over 300 works of art (no, thats not missing any zeros), compared with The Menil Collections 17,000+ works of art.

the only thing Dallas has going for its art scene is its arbitrary Dallas Arts District. but even that is a random mish mash of things with a bunch of office buildings, not really a cohesive arts district.

Quote:
I posted those reviews because I wanted too.
cool story bro.. you posted those because those were the ones you liked. not the ones you felt painted the best picture.

im going to go ahead and critique them, even though ill look childish doing it, im more concerned with presenting accurate/widely-accepted portrayals of each city than how i look on an internet forum.

like for instance.. the "ambiance" part in the first one. how does Dallas feel like a bunch of different cities compared to Houston, which has like 10 different skylines/urban areas sprouting up in their own area? Dallas has more distinguishable suburbs compared to Houston, but urban areas? its not even a contest.
Traffic/Getting Around - Houston has a hub and spoke system. what is so hard to navigate about that? its about as easy as it gets. Dallas almost has a hub and spoke but its warped and missing west side linkages to the Hubs due to Ft Worth skewing the system.
Stuff To Do - you arent risking your life riding your bike around urban Dallas? Houston has hundreds of miles of greenways and trails along the bayous, soon to be hundreds more miles along the utility ROWs for biking/pedestrian use.
Food- Dallas excels in steaks? thats why it has 0 steak houses in the top 10 in the country, while Houston has Killens.

second review
patio weather? pretty much every new restaurant in Houston has a patio.. yeah its slightly more bearable in Dallas, but not much.
likes the diversity of Dallas more? lol.. Houston is by far the most international city in the state.
foodie? Houston is always in the tops for best food cities. Dallas.. not so much.

third review
not much to say. im honestly a little surprised you chose that one given how unbiased and level headed it was. neither city/metro/w.e. is really leaps and bounds ahead of the other. where one city excels, the other makes up in other stuff (like airports, convention centers, and length of light rail.. )

Last edited by TexasTallest; 08-08-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
well then boi.. tell me what in Dallas matches the MFAH or the Menil? not trying to start a pissing contest but im genuinely curious. has Houston ever won in anything according to you?

the article was more so pointing out some of the fine arts in each of these two under appreciated art cities. it just happened to compare a few things, but didnt really present the full picture.

like for instance,
DMA has over 22,000 works of art.
MFAH has over 65,000 works of art.

there really is no comparison to the Menil in Dallas, so we go outside the city to a different part of the North Texas region, to the Kimbell Art Museum, which has over 300 works of art (no, thats not missing any zeros), compared with The Menil Collections 17,000+ works of art.

the only thing Dallas has going for its art scene is its arbitrary Dallas Arts District. but even that is a random mish mash of things with a bunch of office buildings, not really a cohesive arts district.
Valid points TexasTallest, but your mistakenly ranking museums based on quantity. A big mistake to do in regards to art if you ask me. Not taking any sides here but I'll give you an example. Here in DFW, most people would rank the Kimbell above the DMA, even though it's works are in the ten thousands vs the Kimbell's mere 300 as you posted.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Valid points TexasTallest, but your mistakenly ranking museums based on quantity. A big mistake to do in regards to art if you ask me. Not taking any sides here but I'll give you an example. Here in DFW, most people would rank the Kimbell above the DMA, even though it's works are in the ten thousands vs the Kimbell's mere 300 as you posted.
i agree. and another point, obviously all tens of thousands of those works of art cant be shown at the same time (or seen in one visit by a visitor for that matter).
but the initial point still stands.. nothing in Dallas rivals the Menil or the MFAH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas