Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I just recently moved to Dallas.....so not a long term Dallasite. In looking to move to either Houston or Dallas from a variety of quality of life metrics, Dallas easily won and IMO, is leaps and bounds above in many regards. Houston wins on proximity to the beach. DFW wins on airport, transit, arts, shopping, weather, white collar feel, housing options. Houston and Dallas tie on food. Houston wins on tall buildings, but then who moves because of tall buildings? LOL.
If you truly believe that Dallas wins on the bolded things (or somehow is a tie in food) you clearly haven't been in Texas long enough yet. Dallas wins in terms of airport only if you fly primarily domestically. If you primarily fly internationally, Houston wins there too.

Food is another. There are many genres of food (seafood, Vietnamese, creole, Cajun and Thai come to mind) that Houston simply dominates. Seriously, is there a single genre that DFW is commonly known to do better than Houston? I can't think of one. DFW is far more comparable with Austin's food scene (which isn't bad standing on its own merits). I think you might want to check out Houston's food scene. Houston's creole scene alone is superior to any local food scene in DFW. The seafood is immensely better. The Asian food is somewhat better and there's more variety in Houston (though my favorite Korean restaurant in Texas is in DFW). Maybe after that, everything else is a bit closer to a tie. Dallas does get chains first so I guess that's a positive?

We keep going over weather when it's not all that different - except in the winter that is.

Please explain how Dallas housing options are greater? Houston offers FAR more variety in residential styles and offerings largely due to the fact that there are larger numbers of neighborhoods without HOAs/form-based deed restrictions. DFW has some limited areas like that, but housing there seemed much less diverse overall than it did in Greater Houston. My opinion would be that there's far lesshousing options in DFW, though that is changing somewhat.

So I guess I'm agreeing with the other poster that said that Dallasites do like to act like DFW is leaps and bounds ahead of Houston (for some strange reason) because the vast majority of the things you listed are arguable at best.

Dallas leaps and bounds ahead of Houston in the arts? Seriously? That's laughable.

Add to that the proximity to the beach, the income gap between the two metros, the greater diversity of the area, etc. and I don't understand how some Dallas posters can even say some of the things that get thrown around here with a straight face and actually believe them. Greater housing options than Houston? Food options and variety equal to Houston? Pure comedy.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
I just recently moved to Dallas.....so not a long term Dallasite. In looking to move to either Houston or Dallas from a variety of quality of life metrics, Dallas easily won and IMO, is leaps and bounds above in many regards. Houston wins on proximity to the beach. DFW wins on airport, transit, arts, shopping, weather, white collar feel, housing options. Houston and Dallas tie on food. Houston wins on tall buildings, but then who moves because of tall buildings? LOL.
LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh. You are badly mistaken if you believe Dallas is "leaps and bounds" ahead of Houston and has better housing, arts, and they tie on food. Lulz..

Houston's art scene destroys Dallas'.

Houston built more houses last year than all of California.

Go look at the best cuisine thread and you'll see it's commonly accepted that Houston is top dog in the food scene.

Did you not see my links to QOL for Dallas and Houston? Houston easily won (placed about twice as high in the rankings).

Is "white collar feel" code name for pretentious douchebaggery/$30,000 "millionaires"?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Gosh it never ends.

I finally figure it out. Some Dallasites really try to act like Dallas is leaps and bounds above Houston. From their heat to their mass transit claims. Making claims about Houston's heat/humidity when Dallas is just as uncomfortably hot is laughable. Let's not bring up the time Dallas officials tried to bring up mosquitos in Houston when they lost the Olympic Bid (like they don't have mosquitos). Not to mention, while they may have a superior rail transit, they try to act like they're not a car-centric city and like "everyone" in the city rides transit like its an east coast city.

Keep it coming Dallasites. I need laughter in my life.
Actually I am one of those who believes Houston is leaps and bounds above Dallas and am perplexed and somewhat frustrated that there is even a debate going on in what should be such an obvious judgement in favor of Houston.

Dallas has made a living on "not being Houston" their main pitch is don't move to Houston there is too much humidity, to many minorities, and too many people who actually work with their hands. In fact when you look into all these claims you see they are thinly supported and in many cases just outright white wash or should actually be seen as positives, but somehow are spun into negatives by these forum mavens. Its funny because Dallas uses the exact same talking points that many suburbs use to encourage people and business to move to them from most cities, so I guess you could make the argument that DFW is a far flung suburb of Houston, or is at least is acting like one.

You post facts and figures, they come back with empirical observations and opinions stated as if it were the absolute truth, or whimsical one liners. Will they ever stop? I doubt it, it has been pretty successful for them despite their lack of any natural definition. They are proof that hyperbole, and prevarication are effective to a certain extent

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh. You are badly mistaken if you believe Dallas is "leaps and bounds" ahead of Houston and has better housing, arts, and they tie on food. Lulz..

Go look at the best cuisine thread and you'll see it's commonly accepted that Houston is top dog in the food scene.

Did you not see my links to QOL for Dallas and Houston? Houston easily won (placed about twice as high in the rankings).

Is "white collar feel" code name for pretentious douchebaggery/$30,000 "millionaires"?
I think that's obvious. lol

Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
So I guess I'm agreeing with the other poster that said that Dallasites do like to act like DFW is leaps and bounds ahead of Houston (for some strange reason) because the vast majority of the things you listed are arguable at best.
And Houstonians don't right? The superiority complex runs on both sides. Just take a look at the 2 posts that followed yours:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Actually I am one of those who believes Houston is leaps and bounds above Dallas and am perplexed and somewhat frustrated that there is even a debate going on in what should be such an obvious judgement in favor of Houston.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:

LOL. I knew my post would get attacked.
I can sum it up.......
Dallas had a self assurance that you felt....
Houston had a "chip" on its shoulder and a bit of insecurity that was clearly felt.....
The threads on City Data clearly show that.
Dallas wins on QOL in my book and many others.

Attack my opinions, but I'm an out of stater who recently moved and formed those opinions.
Maybe Houston needs to work on its QOL and image?
Perception is reality afterall.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and yes you are entitled to like Dallas better, but those examples you gave are pretty weak. Houston has just as many if not more housing options than Dallas. Dallas has the shiny new Arts district but Houston's is more established and actually has more of it. I'm not a fan of the stuff myself but since you mention art, Did you even bother to look at the museum district or theater districts?

If the only wins you really can say about Houston is tall buildings and proximity to the beach, it makes me think that you really didn't spend too much time there. I don't expect everybody to like Houston but it sounds more to me like you really made up your mind about Dallas based on glitz and glamour. And yes, that's always been a thing that Dallas is better at. But spend time in Houston off the freeeways, you'll find many gems in the city.

Quote:
I can sum it up.......
Houston had a "chip" on its shoulder and a bit of insecurity that was clearly felt.....

Attack my opinions, but I'm an out of stater who recently moved and formed those opinions.
Your post got attacked because you're trying to pass pure opinionated information as facts. You are not going to come with a straight face and say you felt Houston's "chip and insecurity" on their shoulder when you visited. Sounds like you were just drowning in the city-data hype because in reality, both cities really don't give two Sh%% about eachother. They have a friendly rivalry that gets brought up from time to time in news articles but never to the extent that one has such a big inferiority or superiority complex to the other.

And explain how Houston needs to work on its QOL and image? It's already happening. I've been here for 10 years and have already seen massive improvements on developments, housing, and overall image, especially inside the loop.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 08-26-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
In the words of TexasTallest: "this".

Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I can sum it up.......

No your post simply got attacked because it was out of whack with the reality of the situation. The food being the most ridiculous to be honest. How many different restaurants and food genres have you tried in Houston? How many neighborhoods did you search for housing to determine the differences in housing options?

I see Dallas as the metro with the chip on it's shoulder, always having to prove that it is the best in the state in everything at all times. I see it as the metro that's full of people trying to prove that their city should be mentioned in the same breath as the Chicagos and Los Angeleses of the world, but in reality is more of a Midwest city on steroids. Houston is unique and doesn't try to emulate other cities (especially not Dallas) and it's always seemed more comfortable with what it is. DFW has an inferiority complex that displays itself as a superiority complex, in my opinion. It wants itself to be well known, glitzy and glamorous and as a whole city leaders try way too hard, as evidenced by the endless promotional videos, the insistance that "Dallas does things big" and all of the other catchphrases DFW tries to use to get people to visit it.

And despite all of that Houston still gets more visitors on a yearly basis.

I simply see the exact opposite of you, having lived both places. The only thing I can think of where Dallas is markedly better is if you like to ride trains, watch hockey, fly nonstop to random Midwest destinations like Rapid City, or fish in man-made lakes. Dallas is better for those four specific things.

If you want more culture, diversity, nightlife, food options, and the ability to fly to more international destinations, Houston is better. Most everything else isn't that different between the two metros.

But Dallas people will tell you things like:

"Oh Houston is hot!" (so is DFW)
"Oh Houston is humid!" (so is DFW)
"Oh Houston is crime-ridden!" (so is DFW)
"Oh Houston has mosquitoes!" (so does DFW)

It would be annoying if it weren't so absolutely transparent.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
And Houstonians don't right? The superiority complex runs on both sides. Just take a look at the 2 posts that followed yours:

It's the food thing that got me. I can't imagine how anyone could ever think that Dallas' food scene is in the same league as Houston's, unless they have a very narrowly-defined palate and only eat certain types of food.

We argue about a lot of things on here, but I can't think of any one type of food other than possibly Korean that I've found to be stronger in Dallas. They do have more steakhouses but Houston has more than enough of those.

BBQ may be slightly better (and that's arguable) but Central TX puts both North and Southeast TX to shame in that arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas