Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,652,923 times

Advertisements

It seems like it's Dallas that doesn't like Houston or seems jealous of Houston. Houston just seems to mind its business and does its own thing. These mentalities are what I get from the posters from the respective cities.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM

725 posts, read 1,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It seems like it's Dallas that doesn't like Houston or seems jealous of Houston. Houston just seems to mind its business and does its own thing. These mentalities are what I get from the posters from the respective cities.
Completely 100% agree.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,811,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Texans, let's admit it, no matter where we live, there are only 2 REAL cities in this state, DFW and H-town. Yeah, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso are cities but they're not CITIES, am I right?

So, here's the question, and I mean this in all good sport, no personal insults allowed:

Which city is the BEST and WHY, between Dallas and Houston?

I'll offer the opening volley in what I hope will be a lively Texas-friendly smack-down.

Houston might have heinous humidity, traffic, smog and floods, but I think it beats Dallas hands-down for culture. Seems like far more musicians, artists, and other interesting cultural types come from H-town. Dallas is good for... ummm..... shopping? And, uh... Malls?

Houston has a more cosmopolitan, multicultural vibe to me. OK, so one of the cultures happens to consist of cockroaches the size of economy cars, but heck, if we can train them then maybe we can use them to get around town and save on our energy bills, right?

Houston is a port city, it's near the ocean and it's very GREEN with beautiful big trees. Dallas is landlocked and doesn't even have an attractive waterway like San Antonio and Austin.

Anybody wanna take a shot at this? Which city represents Texas best? ALL IN GOOD FUN! Cuz I don't want this thread deleted or locked....
The first post of this thread says it all.....CLEARLY......
It was a "Houston-centric" post"
Insecurity? Chip?
Houston may be the biggest city in TX.....the best? Not so much.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Those mentalities are what you get because your biased towards Houston, like I am for DFW. You don't think Houston posters come off as insecure and jealous as well? It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Insecurity? Chip?
Then which city is the best in Texas?

Houston has the best parks, the best museums, the best theater, the best highways (San Antonio comes in a close second), the best restaurants, the best neighborhoods, the best sports/entertainment venues, more bars per capita than Dallas, soon to be multiple international airports, and just all around a few more things to do/offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Those mentalities are what you get because your biased towards Houston, like I am for DFW. You don't think Houston posters come off as insecure and jealous as well? It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Agreed, we all come off a little arrogant sometimes when were repping our cities. It's not a one sided thing.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM

81 posts, read 104,783 times
Look bottom line.. Dallas has this fake plastic, worry about what other's may think feel to the city.. seems a bit bland man where is the culture? Does dallas even have any culture? I like how dallasite s think houston is worried about dallas houston seems to be doing fine.. Dallas is a very clean city.. no fun. Stop being so uptight about everything dallas and start checking yourself. Houston like most major cities is dirty.. but i think this is what makes a city a city. ... you know what I'm sayinn? Lol but for real though dallas just hasn't progressed when it comes to being "real" don't hide your imperfections. . That's what makes a city beautiful

Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM

81 posts, read 104,783 times
Maybe Dallas Has Not Emotionally Recovered From JFK assassination. .

Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE STAR STATE View Post
Look bottom line.. Dallas has this fake plastic, worry about what other's may think feel to the city.. seems a bit bland man where is the culture? Does dallas even have any culture? I like how dallasite s think houston is worried about dallas houston seems to be doing fine.. Dallas is a very clean city.. no fun. Stop being so uptight about everything dallas and start checking yourself. Houston like most major cities is dirty.. but i think this is what makes a city a city. ... you know what I'm sayinn? Lol but for real though dallas just hasn't progressed when it comes to being "real" don't hide your imperfections. . That's what makes a city beautiful
Lol, sounds like Thneedville to me. You sure your not watching the Lorax or The Wizard of Oz and thinking its Dallas? It just seems you have no knowledge of Oak Cliff, Bishof Arts, Design District, Deep Ellum, South Dallas, the Cedars, East Dallas, Northwest Dallas, W Dallas, The Groves, Pleasant Grove, and on and on. Trust me Dallas has it's "dirty"/"not caring about what everybody else think's" areas.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,243,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Insecurity? Chip?
So you make a brash judgement about an entire city/metro of over 6 million people based on a single poster on a social website? Pretty ingenious.

There's been plenty of threads started by Dallas posters on this forum that have done the same thing, those threads just didn't last out like this one did. This thread was chosen by the mods to leave open as a smackdown thread and is really the only place where it is warranted on here.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:39 PM

420 posts, read 701,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
It's the food thing that got me. I can't imagine how anyone could ever think that Dallas' food scene is in the same league as Houston's, unless they have a very narrowly-defined palate and only eat certain types of food.

We argue about a lot of things on here, but I can't think of any one type of food other than possibly Korean that I've found to be stronger in Dallas. They do have more steakhouses but Houston has more than enough of those.

BBQ may be slightly better (and that's arguable) but Central TX puts both North and Southeast TX to shame in that arena.

Sorry, but Dallas is noticeably better than Houston when it comes to BBQ and steakhouses. So that's at least two types of food that Dallas is arguably better at. I'd throw in Tex Mex and taco stands as well. Like many Texans, BBQ is my favorite food, and I've never been able to find BBQ in Houston that I could describe as even better than decent when compared to Austin or Dallas. Heck, I've had better BBQ in Midland than Houston. Houston clearly has an edge on seafood, creole, and international restaurants. But I really can't think of any type of food you can find in one city that you can't find in the other. I'd just argue that going by quality Dallas does regional and Americana style restaurants better while Houston does international and seafood better. Pretending either city is "not in the same league" as the other is disingenuous seeing as both are top 5 population centers and you can find pretty much ANY type of food in either city.

And I find it funny that you and TexasTallest like to criticize the Dallas posters for being overly biased when the two of you are clearly no better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas