Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM

371 posts, read 940,885 times

Advertisements

ok so far we all listed the good parts about both cities, how about anything you don't like about the cities? any probelms in the cities compared to other cities?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I do think at the end of the day for both Texas cities, Dallas and Houston, they both have a ways to go to get the type of density you see in the Northeast in terms of the traditional sense of urban core with people walking around not having to use their cars.

Texas culture is still to this day about the convenience of the automobile and its ability to take you from point A to point B. We still are the state that loves multi-lane freeways.

Both Dallas and Houston are actively trying to change their urban cores...you see all the cranes in Dallas, Houston likewise within their inner loop.
Both are adding light rails. Dallas is infact already planning a second rail line in their downtown.
But despite all this, it will still be decades off from creating that sense of the Northeast, or SF, or even a place like Seattle that has the density and culture that's willing to do what you all are describing.

Houston and Dallas are doing great things. And with both expected to double in population size over the next 20 years metropolitan and UA wise, the average speed limit on both of the cities freeways is expected to drop to a mere 25 mph...meaning other modes of transportation maybe utilized...such as light and heavy rail services...which therefore would increase more use of pedestrian friendly areas.

But not all cities despite the increased inconvenience of the car has become that walkable city that is convenient.

LA as big as vast as it is, still doesnt have the same feel as a SF or NYC, or Boston, or DC to a certain extent...that's despite low mph on freeways...perhaps it's b/c their train system was never really planned well or invested into heavily...but it's still all a/b the car despite the inconvenience of the car in LA proper...and dont get me wrong, LA does have people walking around and not using the car...but it's just different.

anyway, that's all.
Wonderful post and I agree 100%.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
ok so far we all listed the good parts about both cities, how about anything you don't like about the cities? any probelms in the cities compared to other cities?
Yes, we all talk up the great things a/b
Dallas and Houston on this site.

So I guess it's fair to talk a/b the negatives as well.

Well, a common complaint among people who move down here from the North are both the cities' true walkability, which many people from the East Coast, SF, say we dont have that same denseness in Houston and Dallas as other parts of the country. We've touched on that already.
Crime continues to be a problem in some areas of both of our urban cores.
Some will also complain a/b our summer temps...but it's a preference issue as you're trading -10 degree windchills in the winter for 90-100 degree summers.
Some will say that Houston and Dallas do not have mountains for skiing or true ocean beaches for water sports/lounging.
Well, I cant say Galveston is a nice substitute for paradise or one of many of Dallas' area very large Lakes can substitute for skiing on mountains or beautiful blue crystal clear waters, but our access in the center of the country and our hubs of Southwest, American, and Continental makes us just a short flight away from either coast and just under 2 hrs. from any major ski resort. It is to my opinion that people who live in mountain cities or ocean cities tend not to think much of it and just go to work everyday like we Texans do. At the end of the day, it's all a/b go to work, come back home M-F or S, and on weekends, it's a/b hanging out with friends/family. For the singles, it's all about going to trendy restaurants/bars (Houston and Dallas both offers some of the trendiest places in the US), and not so much some of the outdoorsy scenic activities. I would venture to guess that most Americans follow the work work work, then play (either family/friend time at ones house) or singles will hang out at trendy urban core locations.
As for mountains and oceans, I think it tends to be the perception of having it available for the relatively infrequent times that you want to make use of it, but if you ask a LA driver if he or she notices the beautiful scenery everyday when going to work, he or she would probably say "no."

Other complaints: Texas cities contain some of the wealthiest people in the united states. As a result, there is a perception that our cities tend to be a bit showy and perhaps at times arrogant. Dallas has definitely got a reputation for its pretentiousness. That could be viewed as a negative...right along there with the LA and Vegas' attitude.
Houston known for its oil tycoons and Enron could also get negative vibes as well in terms of perception of Houston as this greedy corporate town...FYI, Dallas is right up there to in terms of big corporate town....but by the way, I'm not speaking out against corporations, but I do see some of the negative criticism that gets lobbied to our two big cities as a result of its corporate culture.
Environment: yes it's a known fact that HOuston and Dallas both could improve upon this. Smog is an issue in both cities. But I would like to point out both cities do have plans in place to counter this out...and they tend to be more aggressive than other markets in this country if you see the future greening of both Dallas and Houston.

I'm sure I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at this so other people can contribute.
OH and one personal complaint I have: Dallas is all of a sudden "choke city" when it comes to sports:
examples: Stars lose in first round earlier last year, Mavericks lose first round in NBA playoffs after being no. 1 seed, and Dallas Cowboys lose in 1st round after being No. 1 seed.
Oh well.

Last edited by metroplex2003; 01-26-2008 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 AM

very nice that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,835 times
hey folks,
we r thinking to move from illinois to dallas, just b'coz of weather, please advice. best towns/areas, good school district, my kids will start their schooling this year. where do i see a community where every person knows each-other, & they are friendly & helpful (as we r).......here , in illinois, i lived for 5 yrs & i do not have a single actual friend. thinking of moving itself is stressful. & i donot know anybody in dallas..... sometimes i think, am i making a mistake???

Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,835 times
[quote=rangeelee;3210752]hey folks,
we r thinking to move from illinois to dallas, just b'coz of weather, please advice. best towns/areas, good school district, my kids will start their schooling this year. where do i see a community where every person knows each-other, & they are friendly & helpful (as we r).......here , in illinois, i lived for 5 yrs & i do not have a single actual friend. thinking of moving itself is stressful. & i donot know anybody in dallas..... sometimes i think, am i making a mistake???

Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM

Hi guys I am currently in asia and plan to move to TX soon, I will also invest in the real estate since it's a good time to buy some houses now, so here is my question when will it start picking up? when is the best time to buy when could be the lowest price? I don't want to move when it's already picking up, I can move pretty much any time I want but it's hard to tell what's going on with the sub prime, I heard the worst isn't over yet? worst would be the middle to end of this year then after there is a new president, he/she will do something about subprime hopefully then it might start getting better after that, so maybe 18 months to 2 years that real estate will start getting better? any suggestion will be appreciated, thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
rangeelee check out threads on Lakewood and East Dallas. It's like a small town in the big city. It's now getting rather pricey, however..

Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 PM

493 posts, read 637,194 times
Well, Music and Movies are two of my favorite things and Dallas wins on the Music and Houston wins on Movies...Urban Cowboy was filmed in Pasadena and popularized the 80's country cowboy revival...The Chase (a B-Movie with Charlie Sheen and Henry Rollins) was filmed on the Texas Gulf Coast around Houston...it represented coastal Orange and San Diego counties in California...
Dallas...has a vibrant music scene...Pantera, Tripping Daisy, The Toadies (Fort Worth), Bowling For Soup, and many others came out of this scene...
Both Cities are good in my opinion...

Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
Default Houston vs. Dallas -- topic reactivation

We are planning to move to the Texas. Please give us your opinion about which city is better to settle down our family (dentist + CPA + 3-year-old kid).

I have ever been to Houston for 1 week in March, I like there (but I have never been to Dallas, so I do not know which one is better). The income for the dentist seems to be lower compared to that in Dallas. But I do not know the living cost and other.

Your comments are important to us, we appreciate your reply greatly in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas