Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 100 1-25

If you look at the first 25 at a different somewhat more accurate perspective (IMO..) regarding suburban comparison b/w the two cities, you should notice 3 DFW areas reaching the list, and only one houston area. Not to mention that as you progress the list, you see even more DFW areas and less houston.
It doesn't matter for two reasons: even though only one ranked (as you say) it still ranked higher. Plus, there are other suburbs of Houston that are much better than some of DFW's, in my opinion. Try matching the Woodlands with Mesquite...please. And that list isn't necessarily for suburbs, it's for small cities/towns. Houston has very nice suburbs to live in, not very nice surrounding towns, though. DFW is just the opposite. The Metroplex is all about the surrounding cities and them being the best places to live. Houston is all about the urban core being the best place to live.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 100 1-25

If you look at the first 25 at a different somewhat more accurate perspective (IMO..) regarding suburban comparison b/w the two cities, you should notice 3 DFW areas reaching the list, and only one houston area. Not to mention that as you progress the list, you see even more DFW areas and less houston.
Because Houston annexes unlike Dallas! I see the suburbs as expansion of the CITY.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I think the urban core of Dallas is the best place to live and as DART rail expands (its nexus being Downtown) that will only get better.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:24 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
It doesn't matter for two reasons: even though only one ranked (as you say) it still ranked higher. Plus, there are other suburbs of Houston that are much better than some of DFW's, in my opinion. Try matching the Woodlands with Mesquite...please. And that list isn't necessarily for suburbs, it's for small cities/towns. Houston has very nice suburbs to live in, not very nice surrounding towns, though. DFW is just the opposite. The Metroplex is all about the surrounding cities and them being the best places to live. Houston is all about the urban core being the best place to live.
I do think it's unfair to compare Woodlands to Mesquite.

If you're going to compare an upscale neighborhood to a middle income neighborhood, that's a bit unfair. A more fair comparison would be something like Southlake to Woodlands, or Plano/Allen to Woodlands, or Mansfield to Woodlands, but Mesquite????

Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I do think it's unfair to compare Woodlands to Mesquite.

If you're going to compare an upscale neighborhood to a middle income neighborhood, that's a bit unfair. A more fair comparison would be something like Southlake to Woodlands, or Plano/Allen to Woodlands, or Mansfield to Woodlands, but Mesquite????
Well I was just using suburbs in general. My point is just that Houston is better with its suburbs, and DFW is better with its surrounding towns.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well I was just using suburbs in general. My point is just that Houston is better with its suburbs, and DFW is better with its surrounding towns.
I guess the line between suburbs vs. surrounding towns is pretty vague. What one calls suburbs maybe considered a "surrounding town" by others.

But comparing urban cores, it's pretty subjective at best...b/c there a lot of people who do like Dallas' urban core more so than Houston, and of course the people on this thread as there are not as many dallas people on here that like Houston's core better.

After being in Texas for awhile now, I"ve come to realize that the lines are pretty clearly drawn: Dallas people on one side, Houston on the other...and the non native Texans in the middle offering unique perspectives of each city.

And the sad thing is that both cities will continue to grow around the same rate...so this debate will rage on and it looks based on current projections that there will be no clear winner anytime soon as both MSA's will not diverge in difference anytime soon.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
If it's any consolation, outside of message boards, no one really cares. Honestly. I think the truth is that Houstonians rarely think about Dallasites and vice versa. The rivalry is in the Texas spirit. I guess it confuses some, but really, it's all in good fun.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I guess the line between suburbs vs. surrounding towns is pretty vague. What one calls suburbs maybe considered a "surrounding town" by others.
Well, try to look at suburbs as being complete nice communities (Woodlands, Kingwood, Cy-Fair) and towns as being mixed with some suburban and urban qualities with their own identity (Irving, Arlington, etc.)

Quote:
After being in Texas for awhile now, I"ve come to realize that the lines are pretty clearly drawn: Dallas people on one side, Houston on the other...and the non native Texans in the middle offering unique perspectives of each city.
I wouldn't say that. If Dallas had a few more things that I needed, I would move there in a jiffy. It all has to do with what one wants out of life. People are turning it into an unnecessary competition.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Well, try to look at suburbs as being complete nice communities (Woodlands, Kingwood, Cy-Fair) and towns as being mixed with some suburban and urban qualities with their own identity (Irving, Arlington, etc.)

I wouldn't say that. If Dallas had a few more things that I needed, I would move there in a jiffy. It all has to do with what one wants out of life. People are turning it into an unnecessary competition.
I think people here can make the same argument a/b Houston. Houston lacks certain sports that Dallas has...and for sports enthusiast, that is important. Also there are certain stores here that are not in Houston that people prefer, and of course vice versa..but it's a subjective opinion. Evidently the things dallas offers arent good enough for your own personal preferences, but at the same token, there are things here that I prefer that Houston just doesnt come through on. Hence the reason why there is the divide.

As for Arlington, really, it's a commuter town. Not sure what identity you can get out of it...Irving on the otherhand has Las Colinas, which is nice in its own right.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I think people here can make the same argument a/b Houston. Houston lacks certain sports that Dallas has...and for sports enthusiast, that is important. Also there are certain stores here that are not in Houston that people prefer, and of course vice versa..but it's a subjective opinion. Evidently the things dallas offers arent good enough for your own personal preferences, but at the same token, there are things here that I prefer that Houston just doesnt come through on. Hence the reason why there is the divide.
I admit that I still have trouble finding what exactly Dallas offers that Houston doesn't (besides better rail), but you know your city so it isn't like I can disagree with you. And as far as sports go, I never really hear people saying that it has much to do with being a good city. In Houston, there are countless numbers of Spurs fans, and there are countless numbers of Cowboys fans, and there are those who are faithful to the Rockets and the Texans regardless of how good they are, but because of the pride in their city. Look at Knicks and Giants fans. The fact that those NY teams aren't exceptionally good never stopped any New Yorker from loving that city. Same thing for Houston.

Quote:
As for Arlington, really, it's a commuter town. Not sure what identity you can get out of it...Irving on the otherhand has Las Colinas, which is nice in its own right.
People I know from Arlington don't claim that they live in Dallas or Fort Worth. They say that they're from Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas