Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 01:16 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times

Advertisements

Either you're purposefully misconstruing my words or you don't understand what I said.

Houston doesn't have a large walkable urban environment that of Uptown Dallas. I never said it doesn't have any walkable areas.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Yep we just like to right the wrongs. Having been in Houston and Dallas for most of the last week (and realizing it's not summer) it was very nice in both places. In the summertime it's very little actual difference. I honestly think it's primarily people reinforcing one another's incorrect opinions (e.g. "It's hot today, but I'm sure it's worse in Houston with their HORRIBLE humidity!") when the stats say there's very little difference.
Well, weather/climate is one thing. I was mainly talking about the whole gamut of gripes people run through in these desperate attempts to make one city look great, and another look terrible... when the truth is that the two cities in question are actually much more alike than either side would care to admit to. Weather is one good example, but when it comes to Houston and Dallas, there are any number of similarities that get tossed around; urbanity, skylines, traffic, parks/recreation, culture, economies/GDP, nightlife, architecture... even professional sports. Boosters/detractors on BOTH sides are guilty of this.

I guess I have just never understood the animosity between Houston and Dallas. Having lived in both cities, I find them to be perhaps the best example of "peer cities" in this entire nation. The similarities so far outweigh the differences that any kind of rivalry is rendered pretty much moot. I guess it just comes down to the same kind of ridiculous in-fighting that you see amongst twin siblings. I know many of the "usual suspects" in the H vs D thread chalk it up to light-hearted fun, but so often I see this "fun" turn into low blows and mean-spirited nastiness, so I'm not really buying it. Of course, this is just a small group of people in a C-D forum. Most Dallasites and Houstonians get along just fine in the real world, and have a mutual admiration and respect for each other's cities (except maybe for sports). I suppose I would just like to see more of that camaraderie in these forums, but if there's any one thing I have learned in my one year of being on C-D... it's "expect the lowest common denominator".

Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well, weather/climate is one thing. I was mainly talking about the whole gamut of gripes people run through in these desperate attempts to make one city look great, and another look terrible... when the truth is that the two cities in question are actually much more alike than either side would care to admit to. Weather is one good example, but when it comes to Houston and Dallas, there are any number of similarities that get tossed around; urbanity, skylines, traffic, parks/recreation, culture, economies/GDP, nightlife, architecture... even professional sports. Boosters/detractors on BOTH sides are guilty of this.

I guess I have just never understood the animosity between Houston and Dallas. Having lived in both cities, I find them to be perhaps the best example of "peer cities" in this entire nation. The similarities so far outweigh the differences that any kind of rivalry is rendered pretty much moot. I guess it just comes down to the same kind of ridiculous in-fighting that you see amongst twin siblings. I know many of the "usual suspects" in the H vs D thread chalk it up to light-hearted fun, but so often I see this "fun" turn into low blows and mean-spirited nastiness, so I'm not really buying it. Of course, this is just a small group of people in a C-D forum. Most Dallasites and Houstonians get along just fine in the real world, and have a mutual admiration and respect for each other's cities (except maybe for sports). I suppose I would just like to see more of that camaraderie in these forums, but if there's any one thing I have learned in my one year of being on C-D... it's "expect the lowest common denominator".
This is all I want...But it never happens from the Houstonian standpoint...and since it doesnt it becomes irritating.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
downtown Houston has been seeing a lot of construction activity recently.. two different blocks were fenced off today. one for the new High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, on the new rail line. another for a residential mid-rise in the southern quadrant of downtown. also parts for a 3rd crane have shown up at the Marriott Marquis site, and a crane went up for the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites site that just broke ground. downtown is on fire!

word is Hines will be asking $50+ per square foot in their new 609 Main tower, making it a $525 million+ tower. likely the most expensive office tower in Houston.

The Mid Main mixed use transit oriented development in midtown broke ground yesterday.

and financing for a 30 story Montrose residential tower was just secured..

$67 Million for Hanover Montrose Apartment Tower | Realty News Report

Quote:
HOUSTON – Hanover Co., a Houston-based multifamily developer, has secured a $67 million loan to finance Hanover Montrose, a high-rise rental tower under construction at 3400 Montrose Blvd., just south of Westheimer Road in Houston.
Q10 | Kinghorn, Driver, Hough & Co. Senior Vice President Buddy Hopson secured the construction to permanent loan for the new multi-family high-rise in the Houston’s popular inner loop. The high-rise apartment building will feature 327 units.
Financing was provided by a KDH correspondent life insurance company for Hanover.
Buddy Hopson commented, “The construction to perm loan structure allowed the borrower to lock in a lower interest rate for the long term which fit perfectly with their long term hold perspective for the property”.
Q10|Kinghorn, Driver, Hough & Co. is a Texas-based full service commercial mortgage banking company.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM

226 posts, read 280,691 times
We got Ebola 1st...Dallas #1 yeah...

Old 10-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is all I want...But it never happens from the Houstonian standpoint...and since it doesnt it becomes irritating.
as if you are any different.

pot, meet kettle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Yep we just like to right the wrongs.
Quote:

I guess it just comes down to the same kind of ridiculous in-fighting that you see amongst twin siblings. I know many of the "usual suspects" in the H vs D thread chalk it up to light-hearted fun, but so often I see this "fun" turn into low blows and mean-spirited nastiness, so I'm not really buying it.
Quote:
Now, on C-D, you're going to get a much less clear picture, as you will with probably ANY city, I'm guessing. Nobody makes more noise in these forums than the boosters, and the boosters usually consist of roughly 4 or 5 people for any given large metro. If one chooses to let the opinions of 4 or 5 people inform or shape their own opinion of a huge metro consisting of over 6 million people, be it Houston, Dallas, or any other big city... then they have a mind that is far too weak to make even the most simple of choices.

So, bottom line, this whole idea of "Houstonians get offended at even the slightest criticism of their city" is just a bunch of anecdotal b.s. That could really apply to any city with a few boosters on C-D. Houston is hardly some kind of anomaly in this way. I've seen you do it plenty of times for Dallas, boi.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
agreed with most of this... exactly, to many of us its more like a sibling rivalry than anything.. but some people definitely take it too far.

Quote:
again, agreed for the most part, except the bolded.. there are over 600 high-rises/skyscrapers in Houston, while there are only a bit over 400 high-rises/skyscrapers in DFW. Houston has some of the best parks in the state. and we have all that water front. culture could be argued, but Houston is the most diverse major metro in the country. and Houstons GDP was 70 billion dollars higher than DFWs, while having 500,000 less people. you are 100% right, they are more alike than different. definitely siblings, some people just have a hard time accepting who the bigger brother is.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:55 PM

Dallas airport rail not very popular and reducing city corruption - Opportunity Urbanist

Quote:
Here’s the crazy thing: She was the only one who got off the train at DART’s Terminal A station. She said she looked up and down the rail cars and station platform, and not one other person disembarked.

Mod cut: copyrighted material.
Moderator note: Per TOS, instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles/photos. Posting a snippet from the article ...(2-3 sentences)... and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 10-09-2014 at 03:45 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
'm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I stated that I had secluded trails not too far from my place in Dallas area. Ones that me and my dogs could both enjoy. I also was a fairly close drive to many outdoors things I liked to do. I have friends outside decatur area also where we would do a lot of hiking and such as well. I entered bike races in that area too. I sold my bike when moving to houston as there's nowhere really that fun to ride it and plus the weather is too oppressive to me. Also my hobbies of English horse riding and dog training had a lot more to offer up there too.

The person said Dallas or houston, I simply say I would choose Dallas out of those two choices. Lol I didn't LOVE Dallas by all means, I am not meant to be living in Texas, but if I had to choose- well you have my choice.

For me? I'm going to Colorado =) I go there any chance I get anyway.
Look, i don't want to make it seem like I have a beef with you because I don't. You are entitled to your opinions and preferences. You like Dallas better, I'm fine w/ that. I'm from Colorado Springs, so I know what the outdoors is and neither Dallas or Houston matches that level.

What I'm having a problem with you is you're passing off your opinions as facts. You're misinforming others on here that Houston doesn't offer areas similar to what you just because it's not right in your backyard where you currently live. If those things were so important to you, then that is your own fault for not researching your area more before moving where you chose to move. You can not convince me that a large urban area that has a high coverage of piney woods and forests does not offer similar things, especially after I've seen it for myself, gave you specific examples, and you were even showed pics of areas like that.

It's the same way in Dallas/Ft Worth, there's going to be certain areas that offer some of the things you may be looking for and other parts of the metro that do not. Galveston, which is apart of the greater Houston metro offers miles of beaches and some private secluded beaches. Does that take away from the things that DFW has to offer? Does that mean that DFW doesn't have any areas that may not offer something similar? Example... secluded areas off White Rock Lake?

It's just starting to seem like you're really reaching now. You went from saying Houston doesn't offer anything for the outdoorsy adventurous type, then when that claim was challenged, you change it up and say, "but those areas are too crowded", They're not in specifically secluded areas, they're in urban environment. Adventurous to me would be something like white water rafting, mountain climbing, skiing/snowboarding.

What you're describing is hardly adventurous.

Oh and BTW... Appreciate that dallasboi

Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 7,029 times
Texas Tallest be like...

"I'm trying to search some articles about how horrible dallas is"

"I like to take picture of construction sites while driving and making other drivers at risk so he can rub on people's faces"

"I really don't care about copyright laws on those articles"

"I spend all day posting stuff in CD"

And BTW, you shouldn't rely on houstonian's opinions about dallas. And why do you think it's funny about an Ebola patient dying?

And I don't think construction sites are not something to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas