Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow23 View Post
Houston has more pollution. Wind blowing from the gulf prevents polluted air to go south, so it spreads throught the region. There's also land pollution (especially in the west). And water pollution is explainable. Shipping and urban waste are the causes.

And hey, at least the CDC didn't think houston as a "special hospital".
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston has been chosen as the state's first designated facility to treat Ebola patients, a move that will relieve pressure on hundreds of hospitals that have been scrambling to ensure they're prepared for a case of the deadly virus.

UTMB moves to front line in Ebola fight - Houston Chronicle

That's pretty "special"

Old 10-18-2014, 11:42 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,713 times
Galveston isn't a great beach to actually enjoy getting IN the water but it's great to be around the water and enjoy the amenities that comes with a beach town. (great restaurants, bars, sea-breeze, waves crashing, pleasure pier, sun tanning, wild life, etc......) Who cares that the water is brown, most people don't spend too much time in the water at any beach, clear or brown. Galveston is a decent beach town.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM

81 posts, read 105,439 times
Houston >dallas

Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
im starting to wonder wether you actually know what you are talking about or not.. what you describe sounds more like Dallas.
Actually, what he was describing sounded more like Humble. You were doing great until this part.^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Galveston isn't a great beach to actually enjoy getting IN the water but it's great to be around the water and enjoy the amenities that comes with a beach town. (great restaurants, bars, sea-breeze, waves crashing, pleasure pier, sun tanning, wild life, etc......) Who cares that the water is brown, most people don't spend too much time in the water at any beach, clear or brown. Galveston is a decent beach town.
Growing up in Houston, when I wanted to see some beautiful Victorian architecture and take in some real Texas history, then maybe hit up one of the biggest Army Surplus stores in the state, eat some really good seafood, and enjoy a breeze that lasts year-round, I would go to Galveston. If I actually wanted to go to the beach, and do "beach things"... I went to either Port Aransas or Corpus.

Galveston has a lot to see and do, but I usually don't count the beaches as part of it.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Actually, what he was describing sounded more like Humble. You were doing great until this part.^^
That part was in reference to the "Houston is a small city surrounded by populated suburbs" or w/e it was he said. That describes Dallas well, far from Houston..

Old 10-18-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
That part was in reference to the "Houston is a small city surrounded by populated suburbs" or w/e it was he said. That describes Dallas well, far from Houston..
Believe me, I'm not agreeing with or defending that guy in any way, but come on... Dallas is hardly a "small city". 1.3 million people and almost 400 square miles isn't exactly what I would call "small".

Lubbock, Tyler, and Midland are "small cities". Dallas is in the nation's top ten.

I think a much better example of a "small city surrounded by populous suburbs" (ie. large MSA) would be cities like Atlanta, Miami, and Boston.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 PM

I visited the McGovern Centennial Gardens at Hermann Park today. I believe its the largest improvement project in Hermann Park history. They held a soft opening to show off the progress to the residents. It's supposed to be finished in December.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Believe me, I'm not agreeing with or defending that guy in any way, but come on... Dallas is hardly a "small city". 1.3 million people and almost 400 square miles isn't exactly what I would call "small".

Lubbock, Tyler, and Midland are "small cities". Dallas is in the nation's top ten.

I think a much better example of a "small city surrounded by populous suburbs" (ie. large MSA) would be cities like Atlanta, Miami, and Boston.
It sure sounds to me like you are defending him/agreeing with him. Dallas isn't small.. But when comparing Houston to Dallas, Dallas fits that description much better.. dfw has like 7 out of the 15 largest cities (suburbs) in Texas.. The only top 15 city in Texas in Houston metro is Houston. That's all I meant.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
It sure sounds to me like you are defending him/agreeing with him. Dallas isn't small.. But when comparing Houston to Dallas, Dallas fits that description much better.. dfw has like 7 out of the 15 largest cities (suburbs) in Texas.. The only top 15 city in Texas in Houston metro is Houston. That's all I meant.

Please show me how I'm defending/agreeing with him? How on Earth do you get THAT from anything I've said here? Try reading back on my earlier exchange with this Garrett guy, and then tell me how I'm "defending/agreeing" with him. Please.

No, what I'm actually doing here is stating a very simple and obvious fact, which is that Dallas, the ninth largest city in the U.S., with a population of 1.3 million and a land area of 385 square miles, is NOT a "small city". Whatever your personal opinion of Dallas is, it has NOTHING to do with that fact. Saying that "Dallas fits that description much better (than Houston)", when both Dallas and Houston are top-ten cities, really isn't the best way to make your case. It just reads like homerism.

Look, I'm a sixth-generation Houstonian. My family roots there go all the way back to the original settlement near Allen's Landing. I grew up inside the loop, only two miles away from city hall. I have no cause to belittle my hometown. That doesn't mean I'm going to support exaggerated claims that Houston somehow far overshadows Dallas, as if Houston were ten times bigger. Besides, if Houston hadn't gone nuts annexing half of it's suburbs over the course of the last 40 years, and it's city area was the same size as Dallas, it would probably only be slightly bigger, population-wise.

The only reason DFW has 7 out of 15 of Texas' largest cities and Houston only has one is because most of Houston's suburbs are unincorporated county-run municipalities, whereas Dallas' suburbs incorporated as self-governing cities. The area generally referred to as "Katy", which is almost entirely unincorporated, has a population of something like 330K. That's bigger than Plano, and almost as big as Arlington. Then there's Cypress, and a few other unincorporated giants.

Comparing Houston's suburban model to DFW's is really an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 6,559 times
I know houston wants to be "Paris of america" but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. I admit houston is a good city, but come on? the city is trying way to hard with constrction. Mayor Parker needs to stop giving money to companies to build stuff and instead, she should spend on stuff that houstonians REALY need, like updating schools, roads, police, etc.

And btw, it's illegal to take clear focused pictures in front of people's face without permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas