Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times

Advertisements

Levitt Pavilions is coming to Houston.. at the Willow Waterhole.

Levitt Pavilion Houston at Willow Waterhole Conservation Reserve | Brays Oaks Management District

http://www.braysoaksmd.org/wordpress...ion-layout.jpg

http://www.braysoaksmd.org/wordpress...ture-model.jpg

Quote:
The project, called "Houston needs a swimming hole," aims to build a large natural swimming pool in central Houston. The money raised will fund a feasibility study that will determine financial projections, site selection, business plan for operations and maintenance, and other aspects of the potential natural pool. An overall cost will be determined once the details, such as location and size, are hammered out.
Houston Kickstarter project to build a natural public swimming pool lands funding - Houston Business Journal

Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Well....it's not nearly as breathtaking and cutting-edge and iconic like the bubble design that was rendered at first.....that I kept bragging about it being the best designed project in Texas..but it's gonna be noteworthy at least!!!
Crow, MetLife unveil plans for Dallas skyscraper project on Klyde Warren Park | Dallas Morning News

Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 31,175 times
Default Remembering The Power of Houston Skyline

I personally think that Houston's skyline is better than Dallas' in daylight, but Dallas' Skyline is prettier at night only because of the lights. However, if the city of Houston ever decides to bring back The Power of Houston and make it permanent (without the fireworks or course), Dallas wouldn't stand a chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston vs. Dallas-powerofhouston1.jpg   Houston vs. Dallas-powerofhouston3.jpg   Houston vs. Dallas-powerofhouston4.jpg  

Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Well....it's not nearly as breathtaking and cutting-edge and iconic like the bubble design that was rendered at first.....that I kept bragging about it being the best designed project in Texas..but it's gonna be noteworthy at least!!!
Crow, MetLife unveil plans for Dallas skyscraper project on Klyde Warren Park | Dallas Morning News
wait.. thats the project that was the 2 high-rises with the bowed out sail shaped walls facing east? thats a huge disappointment.. youre right though. at least Dallas is (hopefully) getting something noteworthy in height.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp709 View Post
I personally think that Houston's skyline is better than Dallas' in daylight, but Dallas' Skyline is prettier at night only because of the lights. However, if the city of Houston ever decides to bring back The Power of Houston and make it permanent (without the fireworks or course), Dallas wouldn't stand a chance.
Yep.. That is the general consensus around here.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Quote:
From January to October, Houston-area buyers closed on 1,194 properties that sold for at least $1 million. That was up 13 percent over the same time period in the previous year, according to the report.

Luxury sales were up 9 percent in Austin; 1.2 percent in Dallas; and 1 percent in San Antonio. Read the full report below.
...hmmmm...thats kinda odd

New report: Luxury home sales soaring in D-FW area | Dallas Morning News

Old 01-07-2015, 04:14 PM

As prices plunge, has Texas' oil boom gone bust?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The urban area of Houston is smaller in land area and denser than DFW. The counties in SE Texas are larger, so if one tip of it has any form of urbanization or the right amount of commuters, it would be included. Urban areas are the best way to look at the actual urbanized cities imo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...es_urban_areas
Good point, and I agree that urban area is the only accurate measure of a city/metro's true size. I never pay much attention to MSA's and especially not CSA's. It's not a huge difference, but Houston's urban area is a bit more dense over a larger area than Dallas' is. Even when you combine the urban areas of both Dallas and Fort Worth, it's still not as (evenly) dense as Houston.

Dallas has definitely built up it's core in the last 20 years. Uptown Dallas and adjacent Oak Lawn are arguably the most urban neighborhoods in Texas, but Houston's urban neighborhoods cover a significantly larger area and extend further away from it's downtown than the urban neighborhoods in Dallas do.

Now, if Houston could just catch up with their rail network. If that happens, I think you'll see Houston's urban neighborhoods really beef up just that much more.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Good point, and I agree that urban area is the only accurate measure of a city/metro's true size. I never pay much attention to MSA's and especially not CSA's. It's not a huge difference, but Houston's urban area is a bit more dense over a larger area than Dallas' is. Even when you combine the urban areas of both Dallas and Fort Worth, it's still not as (evenly) dense as Houston.

Dallas has definitely built up it's core in the last 20 years. Uptown Dallas and adjacent Oak Lawn are arguably the most urban neighborhoods in Texas, but Houston's urban neighborhoods cover a significantly larger area and extend further away from it's downtown than the urban neighborhoods in Dallas do.

Now, if Houston could just catch up with their rail network. If that happens, I think you'll see Houston's urban neighborhoods really beef up just that much more.
Those numbers on that linked wiki page are so old.....DFW = 5.1 million?!?!?.......That's gotta be the year 2000's numbers

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Those numbers on that linked wiki page are so old.....DFW = 5.1 million?!?!?.......That's gotta be the year 2000's numbers
I didn't even look at the link. The most recent stats for DFW are 6,426,214 (MSA)

If going by urban area, the 2010 census shows DFW at 5,121,892.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas