Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
No it doesn't feel louisiana-ish in Dallas because Shreveport people transform into dallasites instead of vise versa. They dont have the typical heavy Louisiana slang that Southern Louisiana has. So they "Do as the romans do while in rome"...
Houston pulls from the more populated and more influential parts of Louisiana. Houston has New Orleans, Baton Rouge, the Acadiana region, the I-10/I-12 corridor, and parts of Central Louisiana on lock.

Houston even looks like Louisiana.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:17 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, I don't get the Chicago comparisons with Dallas either. Dallas is even more remotely different from Chicago than Houston is from L.A.
I agree. I was also wondering where the Chicago/Dallas comparison was coming from...lol.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Generally speaking.. DFW has the most midwestern feel (out of the Texas cities)
Eh... I don't see it. I lived in Dallas for a couple of years, and though it's not your typical Southern city/metro, I didn't pick up on even the slightest "Midwestern" vibe. There are transplanted Midwesterners living there, but they're far from being the majority of Dallas residents, and besides... transplants =/= regional definition. There are a lot of Midwestern transplants in Houston as well.

I don't think any city in Texas feels, looks, or even remotely resembles the Midwest. There's the whole argument about the Great Plains and the panhandle, but to me the Great Plains aren't exclusively Midwestern. The Great Plains transcend 3 different regions (Midwest, Western U.S., and the far-Western South).

Old 01-22-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
That's odd. The general consensus amongst most people is that Houston is most like LA out of all the US metros.
Not odd at all. The comparison is what's odd and off. I have only ever seen Houston posters and boosters on City-Data compare Houston to LA, as if that makes Houston look more fast paced and cosmopolitan or something. But everyone else pretty much scratches their head when Houston people compare Houston to LA.

Quote:
TBH the Chicago comparison was the one I least agreed with. It's more the fact that they are both large Midwestern cities I guess.
While Dallas does have a good deal of Midwestern influence, it also has too much Texas influence and just enough Southern influence to be called or considered Midwestern. I mean, it's in Texas, for God's sake!!! That's like trying to call Houston "West Coast: because you want it to be like LA.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 01-22-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Not odd. I only see Houston people on City-Data people compare Houston to LA, as if that makes Houston look more fast paced and cosmopolitan or something. But everyone else pretty much scratches their head when Houston people compare Houston it to LA.
Though I definitely don't think Houston is much like L.A. (and I'm originally from Houston), I see that (the Houston-L.A. comparisons) mostly from people who are from neither city. Mainly from people on the East coast. Most Houstonians don't think their city is anything like L.A., and would laugh if someone told them it was. Sure, I've seen a couple of Houston posters say that, but this is C-D. This site is... "special"... and hardly representative of what most people in the real world think like.

IMO, Houston is Houston, and Dallas is Dallas. Neither city is much "like" any other city, except only in the most superficial sense. I don't even get the Atlanta comparisons. Houston and Atlanta are both laid out in very different patterns, and have very different vibes. If I had to compare Houston to another similar U.S. metro, I would have to say.... wait for it... Dallas.

Even then, they're still quite different.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Not odd at all. The comparison is what's odd and off. I have only ever seen Houston posters on City-Data compare Houston to LA, as if that makes Houston look more fast paced and cosmopolitan or something. But everyone else pretty much scratches their head when Houston people compare Houston to LA.

here is someone from LAs first impressions of Houston when they visited..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Before last week I had visited pretty much every major and even mid-major city in the US save a few, and Houston was one of the few. I went enthusiastically, but with some trepidation considering how much the opinions of Houston vary on this forum. I was expecting to either hate it or love it, or maybe somewhere in between. After visiting I can say that from the little that I saw (only there for 30 hours) I love it!

Many around here have said that Houston is a lot like LA, but many others have said that it's a lot like Atlanta. My impression is that both are correct, but it's probably more like LA in built form than it is like Atlanta. If you combined Atlanta and LA, you'd get Houston. I wasn't there long enough to know what it was like culturally. The people that I met were mostly from other parts of Texas and the south, so I'm guessing that it's at least somewhat culturally southern. But with an international flare. It really is an international city.

Quote:
While Dallas does have a good deal of Midwestern influence, it also has too much Texas influence and just enough Southern influence to be called or considered Midwestern. I mean, it's in Texas, for God's sake!!! That's like trying to call Houston West Coast because you want it to be like LA.
heh, i agree to an extent. Texas is just so big and diverse its hard to pinpoint one geographical region.

lol.. good one.

so then..

Houston - Los Angeles, Atlanta, New Orleans
Dallas - Las Vegas, Oklahoma City

Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston pulls from the more populated and more influential parts of Louisiana. Houston has New Orleans, Baton Rouge, the Acadiana region, the I-10/I-12 corridor, and parts of Central Louisiana on lock.
Exactly!!!

Quote:
Houston even looks like Louisiana.
That's not really a good thing...lol. But seriously, that's a large part of why Houston doesn't feel like a very Texas city to me. Houston folks always joke about Dallas looking and feeling like Oklahoma, but Houston looks and feels WAY more like Louisiana, to me...

Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Exactly!!!

That's not really a good thing...lol. But seriously, that's a large part of why Houston doesn't feel like a very Texas city to me. Houston folks always joke about Dallas looking and feeling like Oklahoma, but Houston looks and feels WAY more like Louisiana, to me...
not sure how Houston looks like Louisiana.. Louisiana doesnt have any major sprawling metropolises.. and where are all the swamps in Houston?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
not sure how Houston looks like Louisiana.. Louisiana doesnt have any major sprawling metropolises.. and where are all the swamps in Houston?
Drive I-10 from N.O. to Houston.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Drive I-10 from N.O. to Houston.
i do it pretty frequently. that stretch of i10 through Louisiana has multiple ridiculously long bridges, including one thats 18.2 miles, with a swamp spanning practically the whole stretch. for comparison the longest bridge in the Houston area is Fred Hartman Bridge at 2.6 miles (over a body of water thats 1000' wide). there are baldcypress trees all over Louisiana. Houston is dominated by other types of trees like live oaks. idk, i just dont get the similarity besides both are "gulf coast" region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas