Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 PM

638 posts, read 562,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Woah now. Pot calling the kettle black?

There is much more of Houston in the greater Houston metro than there is Dallas in the DFW metro. What is so hard to understand about this? The suburbs of DFW dont function any different than the suburbs of Houston. I don't know why yall think they are so unique. As has been pointed out, Houston has multiple suburbs with "urban" town center type things/mixed use developments..

Actually the conversation was about the metro as a whole having a more cohesive feel, not the cities.

It's not that the suburbs are "killing" Dallas, it's just that Dallas would arguably be better off not having the suburbs sucking so much life out of the city.

I'm sure Southernboy by now realizes DFWs suburbs are much larger than Houstons, and thus have a draw for those kind of developments.
Dallas Fort Worth benefits from its brillant suburbs. They bring in business and people. People means profit.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 AM

Default So well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yes we have large suburbs....while having large populations they are still suburbs. Yes our suburbs create semi urban town centers IMO that's a great idea...it by no means take away anything or even compete with anything in Central Dallas..

You also keep forgetting that DFW and the Greater Houston area basically covers the same amount of space. So if we annexed our suburbs Dallas would be identical to Houston. A city with over 2 million people, no suburbs,sprawled to no end,spreaded out city services, run down suburban areas, sameness from one end to the other and traffic as far as the eye can see 24hrs a day.........THANK GOD Dallas DIDN'T annex any of our suburbs...now we can experience different vibes in different areas throughout the entire metroplex..Areas that are responsible for themselves where city services matter...These areas are self sufficient and they one up each other to death just to stand out....which is a good thing because this only sets Dallas up with a lot of top notch living surrounding the most interesting city center in Texas....In Dallas you just have to find the area that fits you.....which is awesome considering the volume of options .....To me this is what makes DFW interesting.
It is a wonderful thing Dallas did not annex it's neighbors but appreciates them. These places add value to the Dallas center.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 AM

Default You clearly do not know Dallas.

Quote:
Woah now. Pot calling the kettle black?

There is much more of Houston in the greater Houston metro than there is Dallas in the DFW metro. What is so hard to understand about this? The suburbs of DFW dont function any different than the suburbs of Houston. I don't know why yall think they are so unique. As has been pointed out, Houston has multiple suburbs with "urban" town center type things/mixed use developments..

Actually the conversation was about the metro as a whole having a more cohesive feel, not the cities.

It's not that the suburbs are "killing" Dallas, it's just that Dallas would arguably be better off not having the suburbs sucking so much life out of the city.

I'm sure Southernboy by now realizes DFWs suburbs are much larger than Houstons, and thus have a draw for those kind of developments.
Clearly you know nothing of Dallas Fort Worth and are a talking joke.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Clearly you know nothing of Dallas Fort Worth and are a talking joke.
What are you going on about now? Clearly DFW is much more fragmented by the individual suburbs.

Quote:
Dallas Fort Worth benefits from its brillant suburbs. They bring in business and people. People means profit.
Yawn.. Houston gets more annual visitors than DFW.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The only true urban MUD we have is CityCentre. CC is so great and successful that it should make developers wanna build more CityCentre style developments here.
Lmao.. you're joking, right?

Yeah it "should make developers wanna build more". And they are. But Houstons suburbs are so much smaller than DFWs that it doesn't make sense to have a town center or mixed use development in every suburb. I doubt there are even those style developments in every one of the suburbs over 100,000 people in DFW. If not, then why would you expect to find that in a smaller suburb in Houston?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:53 AM

Default Who in their right mind..

Quote:
What are you going on about now? Clearly DFW is much more fragmented by the individual suburbs.

Yawn.. Houston gets more annual visitors than DFW.
Why would any human freely choose to go to Houston for a visit or to live than Dallas? I as a West Texan cannot think of one reason.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,652,923 times
Quote:
Lmao.. you're joking, right?

Yeah it "should make developers wanna build more". And they are. But Houstons suburbs are so much smaller than DFWs that it doesn't make sense to have a town center or mixed use development in every suburb. I doubt there are even those style developments in every one of the suburbs over 100,000 people in DFW. If not, then why would you expect to find that in a smaller suburb in Houston?
Don't get defensive, TT. I'm not downplaying Houston at all. I'm just saying that Houston can stand to have more CC developments. CC is always crowded, which shows me that Houston will value places like CC. I really hope that those new developments on and near Studemont will go in CC's direction.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Don't get defensive, TT. I'm not downplaying Houston at all. I'm just saying that Houston can stand to have more CC developments. CC is always crowded, which shows me that Houston will value places like CC. I really hope that those new developments on and near Studemont will go in CC's direction.
im not getting defensive. i just find it humorous that you continue downplaying Houston, while claiming you're not downplaying it.

CityCentre is at one of the busiest highway intersections in the metro. of course its always going to be crowded.

you are aware CityCentre is a quasi-urban development, made from scratch to mimic urbanity.. right? wouldnt you rather just have a mixed use development in a real urban setting?
again, Houstons individual suburbs have much lower populations than DFWs.

mixed use developments definitely seem to be a fantastic model (in most cases), that i am a big fan of as well.. i just understand why more of these mixed use developments are currently being constructed in the city of Houston, and not out in the suburbs like DFWs new MUDs.

Quote:
Why would any human freely choose to go to Houston for a visit or to live than Dallas? I as a West Texan cannot think of one reason.
um... maybe because they prefer Houston? what a novel concept.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,652,923 times
Quote:
im not getting defensive. i just find it humorous that you continue downplaying Houston, while claiming you're not downplaying it.

CityCentre is at one of the busiest highway intersections in the metro. of course its always going to be crowded.

you are aware CityCentre is a quasi-urban development, made from scratch to mimic urbanity.. right? wouldnt you rather just have a mixed use development in a real urban setting?
again, Houstons individual suburbs have much lower populations than DFWs.

mixed use developments definitely seem to be a fantastic model (in most cases), that i am a big fan of as well.. i just understand why more of these mixed use developments are currently being constructed in the city of Houston, and not out in the suburbs like DFWs new MUDs.

um... maybe because they prefer Houston? what a novel concept.
TT, you know I love Houston! I'm one of the ones who always put it on a pedestal. You can't can't deny that!
However, if I see something that Houston can improve on, then I will say so.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
TT, you know I love Houston! I'm one of the ones who always put it on a pedestal. You can't can't deny that!
However, if I see something that Houston can improve on, then I will say so.
that isnt really something for "Houston" to improve on, but something for the suburbs to improve on, (if what youre looking for is this suburban quazi-urban mixed use development) as Houston has a number of new mixed use developments under way. im sure those large suburban developments will continue to sprout up as the suburbs keep growing and hit sizable populations to support such projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas