Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,532,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The lane, between Discovery Green east of the central business district and Sam Houston Park on the west side, links trails along Buffalo Bayou to the Columbia Tap Trail that runs south toward MacGregor Park and Brays Bayou.

“The route is symbolic in that it is Houston’s first protected bikeway and it is located in a high-profile area,” Payne said. “It demonstrates an understanding that ridership will increase as cyclists feel more safe.
Early reaction to downtown bike lane from cyclists is optimistic - The Highwayman

Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM

328 posts, read 468,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
What is that ^^^^ supposed to mean ?
I think he or she is alluding to the crazy idea that anyone would consider the National Geographic Society to be the definitive source for nightlife worldwide.
The mission of the National Geographic Society is to inspire, illuminate and teach. Throughout its 127-year history, it has encouraged conservation of natural resources and raised public awareness of the importance of natural places, the plants and wildlife that inhabit them and the environmental problems that threaten them. The Society also encourages stewardship of the planet through research and exploration and through education.
About the National Geographic Society – National Geographic Society Press Room

What's next?
Field & Stream ranks the best US cities for ethnic foods.
Popular Mechanics lists the best cities to retire now.
Glamour rates the best American cities for business.
Sailing Magazine has a piece on the hottest downtowns in the USA.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:02 AM

6,263 posts, read 7,418,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
I think he or she is alluding to the crazy idea that anyone would consider the National Geographic Society to be the definitive source for nightlife worldwide.
The mission of the National Geographic Society is to inspire, illuminate and teach. Throughout its 127-year history, it has encouraged conservation of natural resources and raised public awareness of the importance of natural places, the plants and wildlife that inhabit them and the environmental problems that threaten them. The Society also encourages stewardship of the planet through research and exploration and through education.
About the National Geographic Society – National Geographic Society Press Room

What's next?
Field & Stream ranks the best US cities for ethnic foods.
Popular Mechanics lists the best cities to retire now.
Glamour rates the best American cities for business.
Sailing Magazine has a piece on the hottest downtowns in the USA.
I don't think National Geographic was intending to limit itself to only "natural places". I have read many articles in NG that deal with social studies in how societies of people act, their customs, habits and way of life. So I do not think that they are off their mission by dealing with the nightlife of a more modern and advanced world.

NG seems to be having a little fun with these list but I don't see how this negatively affects their credibility. Later in that statement that you quoted they post,

"Through various media vehicles, including its official journal, National Geographic magazine, and other publications, its films, television programs, cable channel, radio, books, videos, maps and interactive media, the National Geographic Society reaches more than 600 million people a month. The Society's unending commitment to integrity, accuracy and excellence has positioned "National Geographic" as a benchmark brand and a leader in publishing, photography, cartography, television, research and education."

NG may not be perceived as the ultimate authority on nightlife around the world, but they are a well respected publication and I think that Houston should be pleased with this recognition and accept it as a compliment and a indication that Houston is advancing on the world stage but by no means should this be taken as a sign that Houston has arrived at its destination

Old 02-10-2015, 11:06 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
UT Arlington tops 36,000 students on campus for first time - Dallas Business Journal

Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Plano’s $2 billion Legacy West project gets another player with office tower plans | Dallas Morning News
Quote:
Now a major Dallas office investor – Gaedeke Group LLC – has purchased 11 acres just east of the Toyota campus where it plans to build a high-rise office project.
“Currently we are finalizing plans for a Class AA multi-tenant office project which we are working to deliver at the end of 2016,” Sabine Gaedeke Stener, CEO of the Dallas-based investment group, said in a statement. “We are excited to be part of the dynamic Legacy West project and next door to such prestigious companies.”

Real estate brokers say that Gaedeke is planning a 15-story office tower with about 300,000 square feet to kick off its Legacy West project. Dallas architect Morrison Dilworth + Walls is designing the project.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:46 PM

638 posts, read 561,812 times
Default Uta

I have a BBA from U. of North Texas and a Master Degree from Texas Tech but took some classes as well at UTA. UTA is an urban commuter school and I liked it when I was there. It needs to get real good real quick or else as UTD is moving up at warp speed.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Default I went to Ikea near there today.

That area is getting to be a 21st century urban city gorilla. Good on them as the Brits say. Me - I will love my West Texas, Dallas, Mexico.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Default My favorite part of Dallas area

Oak Cliff easily. But I like mucho south Irving, Grand Prairie, Grapevine and Denton (lived in Denton 3 times). I have got to spend more time in Fort Worth though. Cowtown is going to rival Dallas very soon and for good reason.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Oak Cliff easily. But I like mucho south Irving, Grand Prairie, Grapevine and Denton (lived in Denton 3 times). I have got to spend more time in Fort Worth though. Cowtown is going to rival Dallas very soon and for good reason.
you are posting in the wrong thread.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
That area is getting to be a 21st century urban city gorilla. Good on them as the Brits say. Me - I will love my West Texas, Dallas, Mexico.
The Plano mayor and city counsel members are doing a great job drawing investors and major corporations into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas