Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The list was about parks that transformed the urban core of the city. Central Chicago was already bustling and moving and shaking well before millennium park was built. There was no "NEED" for MP.

The hance park is not better than Klyde Warren Park....in no form.....and it's location is kinda blah

Now discovery Green is nice but......well....no one pays attention to it.....it's just kinda in the background on the list of things to do when people visit Houston.....in Dallas KWP is in the perfect location.You can experience it by just driving under it.

And when visitors drive under it draws their attention and they check the park out.
i meant the article didn't give credit to Millennium, Hance, or Discovery in reference to the Klyde Warren segment/praise.

Hance Park was there before Klyde Warren. whats wrong with its location?

no one pays attention to Discovery Green? thats why there is $1.5 billion in development taking place around the park, and more people visit DG a year than visit KW.

and no. you can't experience it just by driving under it. they made no attempt at connectivity between the park and the freeway below. it looks just like any other sunken highway with a structure above it? it draws no attention from below. when driving up to it, it looks just like any other street/bridge crossing.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i meant the article didn't give credit to Millennium, Hance, or Discovery in reference to the Klyde Warren segment/praise.

Hance Park was there before Klyde Warren. whats wrong with its location?
...and so was Millennium Park.......what is your point?

no one pays attention to Discovery Green? thats why there is $1.5 billion in development taking place around the park, and more people visit DG a year than visit KW.
it's hidden, and don't seem to have as big of an impact on Houston as KWP does for Dallas...but it's nice though

and no. you can't experience it just by driving under it. they made no attempt at connectivity between the park and the freeway below. it looks just like any other sunken highway with a structure above it? it draws no attention from below. when driving up to it, it looks just like any other street/bridge crossing.
I beg to differ....you exit Field and make a quick u-turn and you're there.....You probably should contain your envy because even YOU know that driving under that park is not like a regular underpass....But I can say that the parking garage under DS is just a regular old parking garage...

Old 04-14-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ....you exit Field and make a quick u-turn and you're there.....You probably should contain your envy because even YOU know that driving under that park is not like a regular underpass....But I can say that the parking garage under DS is just a regular old parking garage...
my point was, the article didn't give credit where credit was due..?

Discovery Green is as hidden as Klyde Warren (i assume you are referring to views from the highway or something, because at street level i don't know how you can make that claim. then again i don't know how you can make a lot of the claims you make..)..

how does Discovery Green seem to not have as big an impact on Houston as KW? have you not seen what happened to the east side of downtown since DG's inception...? its spawned billions in development. how much development has KW spawned??

and i beg to differ. if you have to exit Field, make a u-turn and "you're there", then no, you can't experience the park simply by driving under it...

the containing envy comment is so ironic i don't know what to say. i was going to type something along those lines to you when you started making wild baseless claims like "Now discovery Green is nice but......well....no one pays attention to it.....it's just kinda in the background on the list of things to do when people visit Houston.....".. perhaps it is YOU who should contain your envy.

driving down Woodall Rodgers people have NO IDEA there is a park supported by those concrete beams overhead. its just like driving through a concrete cut and capped tunnel... i can say that the highway under KW is just a regular old highway.. see how that works?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 AM

3 cranes went up in downtown over the weekend, bringing the total count to 19 tower cranes in downtown Houston. heres a few updates..

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...pszcaijooz.jpg

Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
my point was, the article didn't give credit where credit was due..?

Discovery Green is as hidden as Klyde Warren (i assume you are referring to views from the highway or something, because at street level i don't know how you can make that claim. then again i don't know how you can make a lot of the claims you make..).. ..omg...My point is that people come to Dallas LOOKING for "The Park on top of the Freeway"...so when they drive under it they exit and go check it out!!....In Houston visitors visit discovery green because their hotel is downtown...but to a visitor DG is just a nice hidden park that they stumble upon looking for something to do that's close....Dont get me wrong....visitors "like" DG but it's nothing out of the ordinary

how does Discovery Green seem to not have as big an impact on Houston as KW? have you not seen what happened to the east side of downtown since DG's inception...? its spawned billions in development. how much development has KW spawned?? It just seems that kwp is more sought after in Dallas....and has a bigger "Cool" factor than DG....

and i beg to differ. if you have to exit Field, make a u-turn and "you're there", then no, you can't experience the park simply by driving under it...

the containing envy comment is so ironic i don't know what to say. i was going to type something along those lines to you when you started making wild baseless claims like "Now discovery Green is nice but......well....no one pays attention to it.....it's just kinda in the background on the list of things to do when people visit Houston.....".. perhaps it is YOU who should contain your envy. Its funny that you bring up Phoenix park pointing out that it was there before KWP..... I guess you want people to know that Dallas is second to get a deck park....who cares!!!...kwp is seen as the first because it's so much better and nobody ever even knew Phoenix had a park like that until KWP was built....your envy gets the best of you

driving down Woodall Rodgers people have NO IDEA there is a park supported by those concrete beams overhead. its just like driving through a concrete cut and capped tunnel... i can say that the highway under KW is just a regular old highway.. see how that works?
They knew about the park before they got here.....so your wrong AGAIN

Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
They knew about the park before they got here.....so your wrong AGAIN
woah. i just figured out the problem here.. you honestly believe people actually care about Dallas' park outside of Dallas... i hate to break it to you but the world doesn't revolve around Dallas. just as many people probably know about Dallas' deck park as know about Phoenix's deck park.. which is approximately the amount of people who live in each respected city. people don't come to Dallas "looking for the park on top of the freeway". the majority of people outside of Dallas have NO IDEA IT EXISTS. they won't visit it unless they are one of the few who know about it or their hotel room is nearby too. its no different than KWP except KWP is much smaller, lacks as many amenities, and is above moving cars, while Discovery Green is above parked cars. don't get me wrong.. visitors "like" KW, but its nothing out of the ordinary.

how is KWP more sought after? because its the only decent park in Dallas? as i said already. more people visit Discovery Green each year than visit KWP. but in Houston we have other options too..

KWP isn't seen as the first deck park.. again. the people of Phoenix knew their deck park existed, just as the people of Dallas know KWP exists. outside of that, not many other people know or care.

NO. for the last time. the majority of people didn't know about the park before they got there.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
woah. i just figured out the problem here.. you honestly believe people actually care about Dallas' park outside of Dallas... i hate to break it to you but the world doesn't revolve around Dallas. just as many people probably know about Dallas' deck park as know about Phoenix's deck park.. which is approximately the amount of people who live in each respected city. people don't come to Dallas "looking for the park on top of the freeway". the majority of people outside of Dallas have NO IDEA IT EXISTS. they won't visit it unless they are one of the few who know about it or their hotel room is nearby too. its no different than KWP except KWP is much smaller, lacks as many amenities, and is above moving cars, while Discovery Green is above parked cars. don't get me wrong.. visitors "like" KW, but its nothing out of the ordinary.

how is KWP more sought after? because its the only decent park in Dallas? as i said already. more people visit Discovery Green each year than visit KWP. but in Houston we have other options too..

KWP isn't seen as the first deck park.. again. the people of Phoenix knew their deck park existed, just as the people of Dallas know KWP exists. outside of that, not many other people know or care.

NO. for the last time. the majority of people didn't know about the park before they got there.

Klyde Warren Park Wins National Award « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Dallas' Klyde Warren Park wins

Klyde Warren Park freezes out new food truck operators
Quote:
DALLAS -- Is Klyde Warren Park, with its huge crowds, playing favorites with food trucks?

News 8 has found the park almost never rotates in new trucks, leading some truck operators to complain that they're locked out of the popular deck park and the potential for big profits.

Scott says the 10 percent fee is fair because it covers the park's cost of administering its food truck program. But excluding trucks that are qualified to handle large crowds is bad business, he says.
'I think that if we could get into Klyde Warren Park, it would be advantageous to our business,
..Hmmm......seems like everybody knows it exist to me...

..A little reminder of the regular underpass
http://youtu.be/0HZv3It6uQc

Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 PM

Interesting....

Sounding Off: Park Cities-North Dallas readers discuss remodel of Fair Park | Dallas Morning News
Quote:
A proposed redo of Fair Park would increase green space in the fairgrounds from 10 acres to 110 acres.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
so the park won a "national award".. from the Urban Land Institute. there are only about 33,000 members worldwide, and i have no idea how many of them voted on that. ULI members have a much greater awareness of developments like Discovery Green and KWP than the average person. i hope you realize Discovery Green won so many awards i can't even quote the list due to length requirements, and the park was in the press plenty when it first opened too (even still today it makes national headlines about the continuing revitalization its spawned of the surrounding areas)..

are you seriously trying to bold the "large crowds" and "popular park" to indicate that everyone knows it exists? that everyone is local people visiting. heck, i bet a lot of Texans don't even know KWP exists. much less the rest of the country.

as for the "regular underpass".. i said cut and cover tunnel, did i not? it looks like you are coming up on an ordinary overpass because the ends of the "deck park" are lined with surface street crossings.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM

lets hope so for Dallas' sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas