Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

These posts are way too civil. This is supposed to be a SMACKDOWN lol

Old 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Has Houston been actively marketing themselves as "Southeast Texas" to draw more events, or is it more of a local reference?
I guess a little of both. Just know that Southeast Texas is being more commonly used down here.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
^^^ No harm meant Houston folks. I really like the Houston area. I'm just trying to squash the haters amongst you.
BBQGritz or Dangerfield or whoever:

Then please don't make up stupid statements like it's an overgrown Baton Rouge.

From someone not originally from Texas, Houston and Dallas are basically very similar sun-belt cities that may as well be twins for the most part. The main difference would be that they are in a different geographic setting (this giving Houston the edge, IMO, in having all the lush greenery, large trees and nearby beaches / water recreation).

The industrial part you speak of is a tiny area of Houston (Channelview) on the east side. The rest of the industrial/refinery areas are not Houston, but cities to the east (such as Baytown). There are not refineries just randomly spread around Houston

If you think Houston is an "overgrown Baton Rouge", then Dallas may as well be too.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
BBQGritz or Dangerfield or whoever:

Then please don't make up stupid statements like it's an overgrown Baton Rouge.

From someone not originally from Texas, Houston and Dallas are basically very similar sun-belt cities that may as well be twins for the most part. The main difference would be that they are in a different geographic setting (this giving Houston the edge, IMO, in having all the lush greenery, large trees and nearby beaches / water recreation).

The industrial part you speak of is a tiny area of Houston (Channelview) on the east side. The rest of the industrial/refinery areas are not Houston, but cities to the east (such as Baytown). There are not refineries just randomly spread around Houston

If you think Houston is an "overgrown Baton Rouge", then Dallas may as well be too.
Naw. Houston area waters are murky and likely hazardous to swim in. I'd rather have Dallas' more rolling terrain than Houston's flat coastal plain and humid insect attracting foliage anyday.

When I made my Houston comparison to Baton Rouge, it was in response to another Houston fanatic who stated Dallas was more on par with Austin than Houston.

BTW... Quit stalking me.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Naw. Houston area waters are murky and likely hazardous to swim in. I'd rather have Dallas' more rolling terrain than Houston's flat coastal plain and humid insect attracting foliage anyday.
Let's see here: Houston area waters are murky? Like Dallas area lakes are clean and pristine? Dallas' rolling terrain? Who cares? I'd rather have Houston's diversity in landscapes (coastal prairie, pine wood forests, and rolling terrain + pine wood forests in the northern suburbs). I also had more bugs in my house in Dallas than I do in my home in Houston. Don't try to come here with that insect BS.

And for the most part, DFW is not really that hilly. The "hills" you see in the majority of DFW are no different than what you get from The Woodlands on north to Huntsville in the Houston region. Only difference is, Houston has the tall pine trees as well.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
When I made my Houston comparison to Baton Rouge, it was in response to another Houston fanatic who stated Dallas was more on par with Austin than Houston.
No one knows that, and why should they?
You should pm that person instead of making stupid public statements IMO.

Quote:
BTW... Quit stalking me.
Don't flatter yourself.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
I'd rather have Dallas' more rolling terrain than Houston's flat coastal plain and humid insect attracting foliage anyday.
Dallas has a few palm trees too. The only difference is they actually go well in Houston which is on the Texas coast & not some 300+ miles away.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
I wouldn't consider either "real" cities. They are both basically hypertropied suburbs. No real cities require time in cars to get from place to place. The real cities in the US are NYC, Chicago, Philly, San Fran, DC, Boston and maybe a few others.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I wouldn't consider either "real" cities. They are both basically hypertropied suburbs. No real cities require time in cars to get from place to place. The real cities in the US are NYC, Chicago, Philly, San Fran, DC, Boston and maybe a few others.
Austin is not one of them.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Whether or not you like them. Houston and Dallas ARE INDEED "REAL" cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas