Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,849,995 times

Advertisements

D/FW's largest concentrations of Asians

Dallas side:

Garland
Richardson
Plano
Carrollton
Irving

Fort Worth side:

Arlington
Haltom City
Keller
Saginaw

Every other suburb in the metro region doesn't really have enough of an Asian population to even be worth mentioning.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 AM

342 posts, read 682,590 times
man is doesnt matter houston is better than dallas especially for minorities. its just like comparing l.a. to san fran, new orleans to baton rouge, and miami to orlando; yeah these cities are nice and have unique things about them but we all know l.a., no, and maimi is better. In my lifetime ive encountered more ignorant racist in dalls then any other place ive lived and i lived in louisiana so thats saying alot. i just think each city is made for different people with different lifestyles maybe thats why this is even a topic. houston is the 1st word spoken in space not dallas. when i travel out of state and i tell people im from texas the first city is brought up is houston because of the fact that people dont know too much about dallas. thank God for the cowboys because with out them people wouldnt know dallas was even in texas. please come drive the streets of houston and you will see how littered with cars from different states and countries. when people decide to take a vacation in texas do you really think dallas is the first choice? huh... no!!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
when people decide to take a vacation in texas do you really think dallas is the first choice? huh... no!!
Usually San Antonio or the Hill Country. Dallas & Houston aren't really tourist friendly cities.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 AM

342 posts, read 682,590 times
thank u metro matt thats what i was getting at, your right for the most part but houston still gets more tourist than dallas

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM

609 posts, read 2,914,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
DFW Proper? So, they don't live in the metro area at all?
Sorry...Dallas proper...was in a hurry...had to go to a meeting. Hopefully most people understood what I meant.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM

The Dallas Chamber has their annual statistical report on the DFW area if anyone is interested.
http://www.dallaschamber.org/pdf/2009_DFW_Detail.pdf (broken link)

It estimates the DFW asian population at 284,084 in 2006.

This all does make sense. If you think about it, Asians historically migrate to large metropolitan areas. There are two large metropolitan areas in this state: Greater Houston and DFW. I will not argue that Houston proper as a city has one of the highest concentrations of Asians in the country, but what I will argue when comparing MSA to MSA that DFW is not that far behind or ahead in terms of MSA Asian populations. There are roughly 562,000, prob 600,000 asians in Texas. There are two large metro areas...so if Greater Houston accounts for 30-40% of the Asians in the state (which Houston marketers will promote as a relocation incentive), it's natural to assume that DFW (the largest MSA and UA in the state) accounts for the majority of the remaining 60-70% with the other major MSA's accounting for probably 10-20%. It's just cultural preferences of Asians and their migration patterns. Yes Houston has the consulates...that's great....there was a huge gap before between DFW and Houston in terms of Asian migration patterns....but I do believe that gap has closed significantly with DFW ranking in the top 5 for Asian growth this last decade.

I know these are numbers...but DFW does have a significant amount of Asian people. And I will say this, Houston also has very large numbers of Asian people as well,which is wonderful. I think it's great that both cities have significant Asian population as Asians contribute greatly to the overall economy of both MSA's. This post is merely to raise awareness that the DFW Asian population is becoming ever increasingly significant, and should not be taken lightly. What I hope for is that both DFW and Houston will continue to add more Asian flights over the next decades given both MSA's growth in Asian population. Only time will tell...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
thank u metro matt thats what i was getting at, your right for the most part but houston still gets more tourist than dallas
That's probably true oweing to the beaches, NASA as big draws.

But I am actually more interested in DFW and Houston as major business areas representing the state of Texas and both of these areas' contribution to the overall GDP and GMP's in America. I would argue that DFW and Houston make huge contributions to the overall economy of the US.

As many know, DFW is very strong in banking, telecom, technology, services
Houston obviously is great for the oil industry (bringing in billions to the State of Texas in revenue), banking, services too, etc. The oil industry (not tourism) is probably the primary reason why Houston now has a Emirates Air flight to Dubai.

If people want to tour, they can go to the hill country at some resort spa or go walk along the Riverwalk and enjoy the smaller than anticipated Alamo...I think DFW and Houston will continue to be the big job creation engines that it has been over the last 2 decades.

Now not to say that San Antonio and Austin are not creating jobs...all 4 metro areas have experienced very rapid growth...and our two smaller MSA's have been very successful in their own right!

Last edited by metroplex2003; 02-04-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
The Dallas Chamber has their annual statistical report on the DFW area if anyone is interested.

This all does make sense. If you think about it, Asians historically migrate to large metropolitan areas. There are two large metropolitan areas in this state: Greater Houston and DFW. I will not argue that Houston proper as a city has one of the highest concentrations of Asians in the country, but what I will argue when comparing MSA to MSA that DFW is not that far behind or ahead in terms of MSA Asian populations. There are roughly 562,000, prob 600,000 asians in Texas. There are two large metro areas...so if Greater Houston accounts for 30-40% of the Asians in the state (which Houston marketers will promote as a relocation incentive), it's natural to assume that DFW (the largest MSA and UA in the state) accounts for the majority of the remaining 60-70% with the other major MSA's accounting for probably 10-20%. It's just cultural preferences of Asians and their migration patterns. Yes Houston has the consulates...that's great....there was a huge gap before between DFW and Houston in terms of Asian migration patterns....but I do believe that gap has closed significantly with DFW ranking in the top 5 for Asian growth this last decade.

I know these are numbers...but DFW does have a significant amount of Asian people. And I will say this, Houston also has very large numbers of Asian people as well,which is wonderful. I think it's great that both cities have significant Asian population as Asians contribute greatly to the overall economy of both MSA's. This post is merely to raise awareness that the DFW Asian population is becoming ever increasingly significant, and should not be taken lightly. What I hope for is that both DFW and Houston will continue to add more Asian flights over the next decades given both MSA's growth in Asian population. Only time will tell...
No, It is like 800k asians in Texas.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post

With DFW having 500K more people, Houston still has more Asians than it.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
With DFW having 500K more people, Houston still has more Asians than it.
I think its more like 700,000 but oh well. Houston still "feels" much larger & definitely has that LA of the South vibe going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas