Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,787,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's Atlanta.

All are right up there with DFW. Neither is far ahead of the other in growth since 2000 in raw numbers or percentages.

Edit: Okay, DFW was the fastest, but barely. The other three are all close behind. DFW had a big year in 2001 and then last year which boosted it up.

Nope Dallas because of trends over the last few years have passed Atlanta up for the top spot. So since 2000 DFW has added more residents than any other metro

Dallas 1.14
Atlanta 1.13
Atlanta metro area now eighth-largest in nation | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/03/19/georgia_census_facts.html - broken link)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Nope Dallas because of trends over the last few years have passed Atlanta up for the top spot. So since 2000 DFW has added more residents than any other metro

Dallas 1.14
Atlanta 1.13
Atlanta metro area now eighth-largest in nation | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/03/19/georgia_census_facts.html - broken link)
What are you saying nope to? I said DFW was the fastest growing, but barely, as Atlanta was right behind.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Wow, Fulton is now over a million. Though it's still one of the larger counties in the state of Georgia. But didn't think it would happen that fast.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
Dallas is ok, but I'll take Houston. The weather is better and you don't have the risk of tornados as much. Although hurricanes could occur, you can minimize the damage by simply living more inland.
At the same time, the city of Dallas does not get tornadoes. I think you're more frequent to seeing floods than tornadoes in Dallas.

BTW, the Houston black population is probably over a million now and the DFW black population is probably over 900,000 now. Both communities are growing very fast. Both are great cities for African Americans. You will find great culture in both places, Queen. Houston has a large festival every June called Juneteenth. I'm sure Dallas has that as well. There are more festivals throughout the year celebrating our culture. I would tend to slightly go with Houston but Dallas is not a bad alternative in itself.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM

374 posts, read 244,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
At the same time, the city of Dallas does not get tornadoes. I think you're more frequent to seeing floods than tornadoes in Dallas.

BTW, the Houston black population is probably over a million now and the DFW black population is probably over 900,000 now. Both communities are growing very fast. Both are great cities for African Americans. You will find great culture in both places, Queen. Houston has a large festival every June called Juneteenth. I'm sure Dallas has that as well. There are more festivals throughout the year celebrating our culture. I would tend to slightly go with Houston but Dallas is not a bad alternative in itself.
I was talking more about the two metro areas than say the city of Dallas itself. I know the city of Dallas usually isn't hit with tornadoes, but the metroplex can see some. Either way, the metroplex is more prone to tornadoes than the Houston area based on tornado risk area maps I've seen. Plus, everything isn't all spread out so much making things easier to get to.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times
Quote:
I was talking more about the two metro areas than say the city of Dallas itself. I know the city of Dallas usually isn't hit with tornadoes, but the metroplex can see some. Either way, the metroplex is more prone to tornadoes than the Houston area based on tornado risk area maps I've seen. Plus, everything isn't all spread out so much making things easier to get to.
How mistaken you are.

D/FW is VERY spread out. I think it occupies even more land than Houston's metro, at least it looks that way on the map anyways.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Houston's metro area counties are larger, so we cover more land, but as far as urban areas, Houston is denser and covers less land. The city of Houston is denser than the city of Dallas.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,596,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Houston's metro area counties are larger, so we cover more land, but as far as urban areas, Houston is denser and covers less land. The city of Houston is denser than the city of Dallas.
By such a small amount that it's really not worth mentioning

Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I understand although as stated before, DFW is very spread out.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM

374 posts, read 244,974 times
Quote:
I think someone misunderstood me. I was referring to Houston in saying everything isn't spread out so much (like DFW) as another reason why Houston was the better place, in my opinion. I know darn well DFW is spread out haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas