Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We use to go up to Dallas weekly to go to Harry Hines. My mom owns her own store and we got their for the wholesale stores. It does have that Houston Chinatown look, especially with the new strip centers they are putting up.

However, we saw some crazy ****. Once this dude ran up banging on our window and his face was bloody and bruised. We just drove off lol
I was there last night eating dinner. Koreatown isnt in an unsafe neighborhood, its just that as you leave Koreatown heading south on Harry Hines about a mile away, you might run into some people doing unsavory things (prostitues mainly).

They have opened up 3 new Korean shopping centers in that area. The one we saw last night had a Korean Golfing shop, one of the Korean Newspaper offices, and a couple of Korean resturants. The area of Koreatown that is developing is away from the main stip on Harry Hines and Royal. Its on the other side of 35E just east of Las Collinas. Its a much better area and I think the Korean community knows this.

Also is it just me or do certain nationalities choose either Dallas or Houston? There are nationalities that exist in both places in large numbers (Mexican, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, and Indian). But there seem to be other nationalities that favor one far more than the other (Filipinos in Houston and the Koreans in Dallas).

Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I was there last night eating dinner. Koreatown isnt in an unsafe neighborhood, its just that as you leave Koreatown heading south on Harry Hines about a mile away, you might run into some people doing unsavory things (prostitues mainly).

They have opened up 3 new Korean shopping centers in that area. The one we saw last night had a Korean Golfing shop, one of the Korean Newspaper offices, and a couple of Korean resturants. The area of Koreatown that is developing is away from the main stip on Harry Hines and Royal. Its on the other side of 35E just east of Las Collinas. Its a much better area and I think the Korean community knows this.

Also is it just me or do certain nationalities choose either Dallas or Houston? There are nationalities that exist in both places in large numbers (Mexican, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, and Indian). But there seem to be other nationalities that favor one far more than the other (Filipinos in Houston and the Koreans in Dallas).
The Salvadoran and Vietnamese populations aren't even close. They (I guess) prefer Houston over Dallas. An even wider gap than Dallas' lead on Houston in the Korean community (especially the Salvadorans, with about a 45K difference between Houston and Dallas).

Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The Salvadoran and Vietnamese populations aren't even close. They (I guess) prefer Houston over Dallas. An even wider gap than Dallas' lead on Houston in the Korean community (especially the Salvadorans, with about a 45K difference between Houston and Dallas).
I know there are larger numbers in Houston than Dallas in those communities, however DFW still has the 4th largest Vietnamese community in the United States and the 5th largest Salvadoran Community. So yes they are larger in Houston, but they still have quite a few up here.

I was refering more to groups that have a decent presence in one city and virtually no presence in the other like the examples I gave.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 09-24-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
I know there are larger numbers in Houston than Dallas in those communities, however DFW still has the 4th largest Vietnamese community in the United States and the 5th largest Salvadoran Community. So yes they are larger in Houston, but they still have quite a few up here.

I was refering more to groups that have a decent presence in one city and virtually no presence in the other like the examples I gave.
Well, the Korean Town in Houston, though smaller than the one in DFW, is growing, so I don't think it was a good example.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Well, the Korean Town in Houston, though smaller than the one in DFW, is growing, so I don't think it was a good example.
I do. Dallas also has a Filipino community and its growing. But the one in Houston is twice as large and growing twice as fast. The exact same thing is going on with the Koreans in Dallas. The Korean community in the Metroplex is twice as large and growing twice as fast. This is a perfect example of one group that strongly prefers one city over the other.

Even though the Salvadorian Community in Houston is twice as big as it is in Dallas, its still substantial in Dallas (again 5th largest in US). So thats not really a good example.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Dallas might have a much larger Korean population than Houston, but the Japanese population is about equal at around 3,000 in each city.

There is a particular ethnic group you can't say prefers one city over the other. One might even argue Houston's Japanese population is more attractive to those people because of the Japanese Embassy & Japanese Garden in Herman Park being in Houston.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas might have a much larger Korean population than Houston, but the Japanese population is about equal at around 3,000 in each city.

There is a particular ethnic group you can't say prefers one city over the other. One might even argue Houston's Japanese population is more attractive to those people because of the Japanese Embassy & Japanese Garden in Herman Park being in Houston.
That is true. Fort Worth has a Japanese Garden in their Botanical Gardens as well. That being said the Japanese Garden in Herman Park is a little bigger.

There really arent very many large Japanese communities in the US (LA and Chicago are the only two I know of).

Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
That is true. Fort Worth has a Japanese Garden in their Botanical Gardens as well. That being said the Japanese Garden in Herman Park is a little bigger.

There really arent very many large Japanese communities in the US (LA and Chicago are the only two I know of).
Quite a few actually...

MSAs by Japanese Population in 2000:

1 Honolulu, HI 161,748
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 148,319
3 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 48,714
4 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 46,469
5 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 32,074
6 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 29,8267
7 Hilo, HI 21,754
8 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 20,260
9 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 19,215
10 Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 16,938

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Quite a few actually...

MSAs by Japanese Population in 2000:

1 Honolulu, HI 161,748
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 148,319
3 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 48,714
4 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 46,469
5 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 32,074
6 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 29,8267
7 Hilo, HI 21,754
8 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 20,260
9 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 19,215
10 Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 16,938
Ahh...totally forgot Honolulu like a moron!

I was just there 3 weeks ago to for work.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Ahh...totally forgot Honolulu like a moron!

I was just there 3 weeks ago to for work.
I've never traveled outside of the mainland United States, but I would love to go to Hawaii sometime & plan on going to the Philippines with my girlfriend which is where shes from in the near future hopefully. There are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii too from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas