Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times

Advertisements

^^^^ Not very good pictures

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Center_02.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/...d6a9f9c1a6.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/3...e7d2c7462e.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009...llas01_576.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/lawrencel/image/14828776.jpg

Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Look, I live in Fort Worth (so I'm next to Dallas) and I go to school at PVAMU (so I'm next to Houston, as well). I've been to both Minute Maid and The Ballpark. I've been to the AAC and Toyota Center, and I've seen both Reliant and Tom Landry Stadium. I can honestly say this....

Ballparks

Architecture: Minute Maid < The Ballpark (but not by that much)
Setting: Minute Maid > The Ballpark
Overall: Minute Maid > The Ballpark (only because it's an URBAN park and it has a retractable roof)

Arenas

Architecture: Toyota Center < AAC
Setting: Toyota Center = AAC
Overall: Toyota Center < AAC (again, not by that much)

Stadiums

Architecture: Reliant > Tom Landry (tough one for me, but I like that Reliant has more than just a sleek silver coat surrounding it)
Setting: Reliant < Tom Landry (They're both pretty far from downtown, but at least there are TWO theme parks and a ballpark they can build around... even though there's no transit system in Arlington)
Overall: Reliant = Tom Landry (Can't decide... I love em both.)

Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
now the toyota center IS ugly. it looks like the giant button you press to destroy houston (i've always imagined lol)

i definitely prefer american airlines arena

neither of them have anything on philips arena, though

Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
now the toyota center IS ugly. it looks like the giant button you press to destroy houston (i've always imagined lol)

i definitely prefer american airlines arena

neither of them have anything on philips arena, though
American Airlines Center will always look better than the Toyota Center!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Oh, and that comment about AstroWorld.....

Um, Houston's supposed to be getting this:

EARTHQUEST!!! *echo*, quest,quest, quest...

Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
A little on, but a little off topic. Some not-so-good news came out today for Houston.

Some of you more in tune with the airline indusrty know that Houston based Continental Airlines and Chicago based United Airlines are in merger talks. They are getting pretty hot and heavy. Today, they announced that if the two merged, the HQ would be located in Chicago and not Houston.

Merged United-Continental would make Chicago home - Chicago Breaking Business (http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/04/merged-united-continental-would-make-chicago-home.html - broken link)

If this mirrors what happened with Delta and Northwest, that means a few hundred jobs will be moving to Chicago with it.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
A little on, but a little off topic. Some not-so-good news came out today for Houston.

Some of you more in tune with the airline indusrty know that Houston based Continental Airlines and Chicago based United Airlines are in merger talks. They are getting pretty hot and heavy. Today, they announced that if the two merged, the HQ would be located in Chicago and not Houston.

Merged United-Continental would make Chicago home - Chicago Breaking Business (http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/04/merged-united-continental-would-make-chicago-home.html - broken link)

If this mirrors what happened with Delta and Northwest, that means a few hundred jobs will be moving to Chicago with it.
well they had a good run....but that does seem a little backwards

Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well they had a good run....but that does seem a little backwards
It would suck for me because instead of spending one week a month in Houston (which I can drive or fly), I would have to spend one week a month in Chicago.

Uggghhh, Im tired of being on the road all the time. Even as I write this, Im in my hotel in Guatemala City. I cant sleep because I ate something bad.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, I live in Fort Worth (so I'm next to Dallas) and I go to school at PVAMU (so I'm next to Houston, as well). I've been to both Minute Maid and The Ballpark. I've been to the AAC and Toyota Center, and I've seen both Reliant and Tom Landry Stadium. I can honestly say this....

Ballparks

Architecture: Minute Maid < The Ballpark (but not by that much)
Setting: Minute Maid > The Ballpark
Overall: Minute Maid > The Ballpark (only because it's an URBAN park and it has a retractable roof)

Arenas

Architecture: Toyota Center < AAC
Setting: Toyota Center = AAC
Overall: Toyota Center < AAC (again, not by that much)

Stadiums

Architecture: Reliant > Tom Landry (tough one for me, but I like that Reliant has more than just a sleek silver coat surrounding it)
Setting: Reliant < Tom Landry (They're both pretty far from downtown, but at least there are TWO theme parks and a ballpark they can build around... even though there's no transit system in Arlington)
Overall: Reliant = Tom Landry (Can't decide... I love em both.)
Reliant is only seven miles from Downtown Houston and connected to it by rail. Definitely not far, especially compared to Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
American Airlines Center will always look better than the Toyota Center!
Why do you always use exclamation points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Yeah, I heard that rumor. Would like them to keep it in Houston, but can see why Chicago would be chosen. Losing the HQ would hurt Chicago more than Houston, IMO. It was more for bragging rights anyway.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, I heard that rumor. Would like them to keep it in Houston, but can see why Chicago would be chosen. Losing the HQ would hurt Chicago more than Houston, IMO. It was more for bragging rights anyway.
It alot more than for bragging rights. That means all of the HQ related jobs that arent directly tied to operations would be moved to Chicago.

It doesnt surprise me because Daley is so corrupt, he will promise UA/CO anything to get them to stay up there and he will deliever it. He did it with Boeing when they were looking at places to call home and low and behold, they ended up in Chicago.

All in all Chicago is more agressive when it sees something it wants. Houston (and Texas in general) count on people wanting to do business there because its so cheap and business friendly.

I dont expect this to bring Houston down or affect it in too much of a noticable way, but it does suck for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas