Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Since we're now talking a/b quality of skyline and not quantity,

I think Dallas could make an entrance into beauty contests at night.
Our BOA tower is in Green.

The W is nicely lit.
JP MOrgan Chase looks great at night.
So does the Crescent Court, which houses the primary office of Citi Bank.

So thank you for saying quantity does not always mean quality (it's a great opening) b/c that can introduce other cities...St. Louis looks great with the Arch at night. San Francisco is breathtaking at night, especially from Coit Tower. And the SF skyline is pretty big...just lots of shorter buildings
True, Dallas' skyline has all of those funky colors and what not. It dazzles. But while Dallas has a nice skyline, it just isn't on a grand scale. If I may be perfectly honest, sometimes, bigger is better. But to each his own.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yet another thing to add to the list of subjects we cannot agree on.

Downtown Brooklyn is a very dense area and is New York City's third largest CBD after Lower and Midtown Manhattan. People fond of the city and its history know that the Brooklyn skyline is important to the skyline of New York. And it is seperate. Quite frankly, I have no idea where you are coming from and I'm trying to understand how you do not see my point.

And the skyline of Uptown Houston does not rival DT. Uptown isn't even a CBD.
downtown brooklyn may be a very dense area. But it doesn't touch Manhattan. Here's what I'm saying. I know of many people. Friends or family that visited Houston for the first time and thought the Uptown area WAS indeed downtown. Many people mistake the uptown-galleria area for downtown when you and I both know it is not. You will mistake downtown Brooklyn or a cluster of dense scrapers throughout NY outside Manhattan as their downtown area. You just simply won't. I don't see how you do not see my point that the majority of New York's buildings are in one area and that being on Manhattan. Again, 5000+ buidings are in New York. Just about 4900 of them are in Manhattan no matter how important DTBK is or not.

And I wasn't saying Uptown rivals Downtown in that way. Well I kinda answered tha question earlier.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
WEALTHY CITIES

Expanding global economies and bull markets have fueled the increase in the number of wealthy households (HHs), with metro Atlanta expected to be near the top in five-year growth of high-net-worth individuals — persons with at least $1 million in net financial assets, not counting principal residence. The cities are ranked by projected growth in high-net-worth individuals (HNWI) over five years:

Total Growth | 1 mil. Growth | HHs | rate HHs | rate

Dallas-Fort Worth | 2,369,433 | 9.9% | 69,710 | 62.6%
Atlanta 2,131,295 9.9% 63,525 62.2%
Houston 1,972,706 9.1% 58,569 61.3%
Phoenix area 1,698,457 13.2% 53,180 60.6%
Orlando area 1,363,290 13.5% 42,535 60.5%
Denver 1,452,324 6.2% 47,939 59.4%
Washington 2,288,908 8.1% 99,711 59.4%
Sacramento, Calif. 1,379,817 9.7% 44,674 57.3%

Source: Claritas Inc.
This is why places like the Museum Tower, the Ritz Carlton Residences, One Victory Tower can charge a minimum of $1,000,000 and up for their smallest unit and up to 10 million for their penthouses.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
SO you have your oil companies. DFW has the largest Information Technology base in the state of Texas and is headquarters to the world's largest airline: American Airlines and the country's largest domestic carrier: Southwest Airlines.
But can Dallas claim that it is the capital of something? Houston can. As great and important as Dallas is, it's a second fiddle city. It's not the first leg in any form of economy, as far as I am aware.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:01 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
SO you have your oil companies. DFW has the largest Information Technology base in the state of Texas and is headquarters to the world's largest airline: American Airlines and the country's largest domestic carrier: Southwest Airlines.
And we are Texas' Energy/Oil, Aerospace, and Medical headquarters. Those industries are more world industries than what DFW has. Houston's international presence proves it. We have FAR more consular offices, handle the nation's most foreign tonnage, and recieve more international traffic at our airport (by a good margin), despite having about 15 million less annual passengers. Also, Exxon Mobil may be HQ'ed here in DFW, but Houston has more employees, and more business deals are done down here. The CEO growing up in Irving is the only reason why Exxon is up there.

Also, I would never travel that truck stop in the sky, American. I would much rather fly the award winning carrier, Continental Airlines. SO many awards in customer satisfaction in the past year. It also recently won airline of the year.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
downtown brooklyn may be a very dense area. But it doesn't touch Manhattan. Here's what I'm saying. I know of many people. Friends or family that visited Houston for the first time and thought the Uptown area WAS indeed downtown. Many people mistake the uptown-galleria area for downtown when you and I both know it is not. You will mistake downtown Brooklyn or a cluster of dense scrapers throughout NY outside Manhattan as their downtown area. You just simply won't. I don't see how you do not see my point that the majority of New York's buildings are in one area and that being on Manhattan. Again, 5000+ buidings are in New York. Just about 4900 of them are in Manhattan no matter how important DTBK is or not.

And I wasn't saying Uptown rivals Downtown in that way. Well I kinda answered tha question earlier.
That was not the point we were arguing. We were arguing whether or not New York was a city that had all of its skyline in one area. And if memory serves me correctly, the majority of Houston's high rises are located downtown.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
And we are Texas' Energy/Oil, Aerospace, and Medical headquarters. Those industries are more world industries than what DFW has. Houston's international presence proves it. We have FAR more consular offices, handle the nation's most foreign tonnage, and recieve more international traffic at our airport (by a good margin), despite having about 15 million less annual passengers. Also, Exxon Mobil may be HQ'ed here in DFW, but Houston has more employees, and more business deals are done down here. The CEO growing up in Irving is the only reason why Exxon is up there.

Also, I would never travel that truck stop in the sky, American. I would much rather fly the award winning carrier, Continental Airlines. SO many awards in customer satisfaction in the past year. It also recently won airline of the year.
Exactly. Houston is far more diverse than Dallas for a reason. Houston is "larger" than Dallas for a reason. More cosmopolitan for a reason.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
But can Dallas claim that it is the capital of something? Houston can. As great and important as Dallas is, it's a second fiddle city. It's not the first leg in any form of economy, as far as I am aware.

If so why does Dallas have a Federal Reserve Bank which rules Houston (which has no such bank) and the entire region.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
DFW has 6.1 million people, Houston has 5.5 million.
Houston actually has 5.6 million people now. Don't be tryin' to stretch the gap. I know both of these #s are approximates, Houston has 5.6 million every bit as much as DFW has 6.1 million.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
This is why places like the Museum Tower, the Ritz Carlton Residences, One Victory Tower can charge a minimum of $1,000,000 and up for their smallest unit and up to 10 million for their penthouses.
First of all, let's stop talking about the Museum Tower like its already built. It's still in the proposed stage. It may or may not happen. Houston's Discovery Tower is in the proposal stage just like Dallas's museum tower. Plus, From what i've heard, Dallas already has an overbuilt market and might not be able to support the amount of money the Museum Tower might be charging..

That's another advantage that Houston. Houston's office vacancy rate is looking healthier everyday which will makes it the more likely candidate to get another tower. Dallas just keeps building which is actually causing the percentage rate of Office Vacancy rates to increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas