Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You're wrong in lumping Houston's diverse Latino community in with just Mexico.

El Salvador, Puerto Rico, Cuba, South America, & even Spain are all well represented in the Houston area.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've gone to Houston's Galleria & walked by a fair skinned individual speaking Spanish as their native language.
Who was lumping? Houston's Mexican population is humongous and lends heavily to the Catholic population.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Dallas is in the heart of the Bible Belt of the South Central US while Houston is at the very fringes & is more Catholic than Southern Baptist.

Houston is also a lot more religiously diverse of a city than Dallas is.

I'm not sure why you repeatedly post that picture as if it means anything. You realize that Catholics, not Baptists or Methodists or any other protestant group, are the most prominant religious group in Dallas at 40%, don't you? Baptists only make up 23% of Dallas.

Not that that necessarily really means anything when it comes to a person's politics and social attitudes. I know both socially conservative and liberal catholics.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'm not sure why you repeatedly post that picture as if it means anything. You realize that Catholics, not Baptists or Methodists or any other protestant group, are the most prominant religious group in Dallas at 40%, don't you? Baptists only make up 23% of Dallas.

Not that that necessarily really means anything when it comes to a person's politics and social attitudes. I know both socially conservative and liberal catholics.
Southern Methodist University

Dallas Baptist University

Yeah...

South Dallas in general is FULL of all Black churches & the mega churches are all over Dallas.

Dallas is one of the most religious large cities there is. Anyone will tell you that.

There's a church on almost every corner or so it seems.

You won't find a Buddhist or Hindu Temple for example so blatantly out in the open like you would down in Houston. In Dallas they are hidden.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-19-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah...

South Dallas in general is FULL of all Black churches & the mega churches are all over Dallas.

Dallas is one of the most religious large cities there is. Anyone will tell you that.

You won't find a Buddhist or Hindu Temple for example so blatantly out in the open like you would down in Houston. In Dallas they are hidden.
So is Houston. And it's Houston that is home to the largest Protestant church in the nation (Lakewood). You're splitting hairs here, and I think you know that.

I would say that DFW is the more heavily Protestant metro, but not dramatically moreso than Houston. They're both very comparable.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:

Yeah...

Nice spin. I give you numbers based on census estimates and you give me...the names of two schools? What does Dallas having two protestant universities have to do with the fact that Dallas is a Catholic majority city? Yes, there are a ton of churches all over Dallas. There are churches everywhere in Texas, and Houston is no exception.

Here are some of the "hidden" temples you were referring to:

RadhaKalachandji.com - Official Website of the Hare Krishna Temple in Dallas, TX

dfwhindutemple.org

chinmayasaaket.org

mkzc.org

ktcdallas.org

naver.com

talitakumclinic.com

While we're at it, here's Islam:

masjidalislam.org

iant.com

dallasislamiccenter.org

I could go on, but, frankly, I don't care to. I'm afraid your image of Dallas is about 60 years old.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Nice spin. I give you numbers based on census estimates and you give me...the names of two schools? What does Dallas having two protestant universities have to do with the fact that Dallas is a Catholic majority city? Yes, there are a ton of churches all over Dallas. There are churches everywhere in Texas, and Houston is no exception.

Here are some of the "hidden" temples you were referring to:

RadhaKalachandji.com - Official Website of the Hare Krishna Temple in Dallas, TX

dfwhindutemple.org

chinmayasaaket.org

mkzc.org

ktcdallas.org

naver.com

talitakumclinic.com

While we're at it, here's Islam:

masjidalislam.org

iant.com

dallasislamiccenter.org

I could go on, but, frankly, I don't care to. I'm afraid your image of Dallas is about 60 years old.
Can you please post some google street views of these places of worship? I need to see how "hidden" they are

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm sure none of which have the impact of the Mexican Catholic population.
No, you'd be surprised. It's not just Hispanics that are Catholic. If you want, visit a Catholic Church on the West or Southwest sides of Houston and see all of the different people.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No, you'd be surprised. It's not just Hispanics that are Catholic. If you want, visit a Catholic Church on the West or Southwest sides of Houston and see all of the different people.
I didn't say that. What is with y'all today? I basically said that a huge chunk of the Catholic pop. is due to the Hispanic immigrants.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I didn't say that. What is with y'all today? I basically said that a huge chunk of the Catholic pop. is due to the Hispanic immigrants.
Well, obviously. Huge chunks are also Asian (Filipino), Black (Nigerian), and White.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Well, obviously. Huge chunks are also Asian (Filipino), Black (Nigerian), and White.
Also a lot Vietnamese & Indian people are Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas